Not a statistic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a statistic!

This is a great account of how and why to be prepared! Also serves to remind us to think before we act!

http://greaterontariokayakangling.co...ence/#comments

Ed

Amen! Certainly food for thought.

It is always prudent to dress for the water temp and not the air. It is easy to forget during these unseasonably warm weather stretches
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

One of the many reasons I don't stand on my kayak! I lose my balance on a boat. I'm sure to go in on a yak :-)

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

Great article ........ Cold water is a quick killer

Comment

I doubt I'll ever understand the "need" to stand, especially on a kayak. I have stood on my kayaks, but only to see if I could do it, and more so to stretch my legs after trolling for several hours.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

I stood up before in my kayak in ponds and lakes and even casted...not a real problem in 3 foot of water. Stood for the first time in the bay Christmas Eve, under the key bridge and quickly checked the integrity of my PFD; I must say it kept me rather buoyant. Never again will I try to stand to take a piss....I now carry a bottle with me and have all my gear I don't feel like chasing tied in...live and learn
            John
            Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
              I stood up before in my kayak in ponds and lakes and even casted...not a real problem in 3 foot of water. Stood for the first time in the bay Christmas Eve, under the key bridge and quickly checked the integrity of my PFD; I must say it kept me rather buoyant. Never again will I try to stand to take a piss....I now carry a bottle with me and have all my gear I don't feel like chasing tied in...live and learn
              I don't know how the drive well is for the Slayer, but with the Hobie, the drive well is a good "marine head".
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

My kayak was flipped three weeks ago by a tug's wake on the Patapsco. The wake came from a tug that seemed to be going at top speed and from behind me. The water was calm like glass and then I hear waves crashing behind me, and it was too late to turn into the wake. I rode out the first wave, but the second one flipped me over. I got to test the dry suit and pfd, then practice self-rescue. The water was 50 deg F and I estimate that I was in for less than a minute. Another passing tug stopped and I assume because they saw me fall in. It took off again as I was collecting my pride, crocks, and soda bottle that were floating. I did lose two rods/reels and my fish ruler. The gear have since been replaced, rod floaters attached, and diligent use of the leashes I've made is in effect (I did have them the last time; just lazy).

I did learn early on that the Slayer drive well makes a good head, but I found using a cup to be much more convenient. So I keep a blue cup in my kayak that my family knows not to bring it into the house for family use. ;-)
                Mariano

2015 Slayer Propel 13

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  I doubt I'll ever understand the "need" to stand, especially on a kayak. I have stood on my kayaks, but only to see if I could do it, and more so to stretch my legs after trolling for several hours.
                  I stand every time I'm out in the yak (chose the PA 14 specifically for this), but then again I'm casting 99.9% of the time and rarely ever troll. Standing gives me advantages with sight fishing, fly casting (easier to double haul), making longer casts and working plugs with a downward sweeping motion (ie. walking the dog).
                  2014 Hobie Pro Angler
                  2018 Viking Profish 400 Lite

Comment

I wouldn't stand even if I could and I fly fish often. One reason is because I learned to fly cast seated as the back passenger in a friend's Jon boat. He cruised shorelines fast with his Minn Kota and close so I learned to shoot the line ahead and retrieve it fast for the next cast with little false casting. I didn't know it at that time but that fishing technique proved to be great training for fly casting from my kayak.

I can double haul even sitting but to be honest I catch most of my fish casting with fly or conventional gear within 40 feet of my kayak. I usually don't need to cast far. I think one of the benefits of kayak fishing is being able to quietly get close to areas where fish reside and with a low profile to avoid detection.

On the other hand, maybe I should review my strategy. This magnificent crappie struck my fly during yesterday's Eastern Shore pond-hop session with the OGWLF:

G.jpg

Ambitious little fellow.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I learned how to cast a fly line standing in a stream up to my waist, seated in my kayak has my arm higher off the water than that. I can double haul seated, but as Mark mentioned, it's rare to need to cast that far with a kayak. Honestly, I find it harder to stay far enough away with the kayak for efficient fly rodding.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

A Few perfectly timed issues.

1. 3 days ago I added a stand up assist strap(bow line)
                        2. While digging out my old tying supplies- I also fiddled with my Brand New 8wt(i've had it for atleast 5 years) and put together what i thought would be a perfect fly box for fishing spring stripers on the flats.
                        3. 2 weeks ago I decided not to purchase a drysuit, instead purchase new electronics and reel or 2

But today.......I am now pursuing a drysuit, looking at used electronics and pulling out my old 7ft 3 wt(i've caught a 25 inch striper on this set up) and calling Mark to take me Fishing!

Anyway, this article convinced me to stop thinking foolishly. I put Safety second or third in my mind. Was trusting in my ability and confidence in my kayak. After taking off my fingertip last winter doing something routine and safe, you'd think i would know by now not to discount my ability to absent minded for that one split second!

Comment

My favorite fly rod is a 3wt. I also have a couple 2wt, a 6wt, 7wt, and a 9wt.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Egriger View Post

Anyway, this article convinced me to stop thinking foolishly. I put Safety second or third in my mind. Was trusting in my ability and confidence in my kayak. After taking off my fingertip last winter doing something routine and safe, you'd think i would know by now not to discount my ability to absent minded for that one split second!
                            So many of us do, bud. Nobody ever plans to flip, but circumstances can conspire in the blink of an eye....

Glad you are getting the suit!
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              I don't know how the drive well is for the Slayer, but with the Hobie, the drive well is a good "marine head".
                              Good tip, Cowpokey
                              Michael
                              Washington, DC
                              Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X