How to quiet grinding reels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to quiet grinding reels?

Happy New Year and Tight Lines to all in 2016!

I have four mid-priced spinning reels I use during the warmer months. Three of them (two seven bearing Shakespeare Agilities, and one two bearing Matuzo) spin just fine but are kind of loud and grinding a bit.

I always hose down the reels and rods after every trip, and dunk in warm mild detergent water, and rinse thoroughly about every other trip. I have tried WD-40 inside the reels now and then, to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions how to quiet these otherwise servicable reels? Thanks.
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 12-29-2015, 02:48 PM.

I would get some reel oil and disassemble the reel and give it a good cleaning then lubricate everything, chances are between the WD40 and the dunking in a bucket of water all the oil/grease in the reel got washed out. When lubricating the reel use reel oil or grease depending on what the manufacture uses, don't use WD-40 it works as a solvent not a lubricant.

Also when rinsing the reel use a light spray of water. Dunking it, or using a high pressure hose will force water into the internal parts of the reel and cause issues.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Here is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcNgunOhrU
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I know what I did wrong!

Comment

Working...
        X