Give Yourself a Gift This Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Yourself a Gift This Christmas

I hadn’t fished for over a week and my angst was tangible.

As I raced at a snail’s pace from one place to another during the hectic holiday madness, I could sense the old familiar feeling of seasonal dysfunction building within me. All I wanted to do was to dip a paddle and wet a line…

Retail management during the holidays is fraught with built in pressures and potential snapping points. Everyone wants a piece and everything is “urgent.” After 18 years, this one was different, though.

I’ve had countless people commenting on “how good I looked.” Many asked if I had lost more weight. Others wanted to know my “secret.” At first, I didn’t think anything of it. Just people being polite and sharing seasonally appropriate platitudes.

Over time, the cadence of these remarks began to reveal an emerging pattern. Once I realized this, it didn’t take long to identify the source of my “new” outwardly projections. It was something that I haven’t chosen in a long time - Balance.

As I am sure is true for you, for me, that balance comes in the form of fishing and being one with the water. I have long realized was that while paddling my kayak, I am at peace with myself and the world. Even if the conditions are harsh and the going rough, I chose to be in that space at that time. I am in control of my reality.

What I failed to appreciate was that, while embracing my aqueous nature with more regularity, those moments of peace and choice were exuding into other aspects of my life. Balance via osmosis was asserting itself in tangible ways and people were recognizing it in me before I became self aware enough to see it for myself.

On this particular afternoon - two days before Christmas - I was able to sneak out a little early in hopes of stealing an hour on the water to recharge. As always, during this time of year, traffic was horrific as everyone bounced from place to place searching for that perfect gift. I was counting the minutes of daylight I was loosing. Being only one day after the Winter Solstice, time was precious and decidedly, not on my side.

Despite my closing window of opportunity, I vowed to myself that I would go out, even if for only a short time. As we pulled up to the house, I raced to grab the paddle suit hanging on the porch. It took mere moments to gyrate my way into it and pull on my neoprene booties. Happily, I am blessed with easy water access near my house and I was at the launch in a flash.

Still caught up in my frenzied state, I felt like the Tasmanian Devil as I whirled around the car, unloading the boat and pulling gear. I was at the water’s edge in record time, though still pissed with time that had been “wasted.”

As I plopped into my seat and reached forward to make my initial paddle stroke, magic happened. All of it fell away, and I mean ALL of it. I could sense my demeanor shift 180 degrees as the blade bit into the water. I could literally feel it being washed away with the rain that was falling and left in swirl of my wake.

It took only moments to reach my closest fishing hole. In that short distance, I had transformed myself from “crazed retail guy” into “Fisherman”. The conditions were, what some would consider, unacceptable. The rain was coming down in varying degrees of intensity and the day was too warm for December. It didn’t matter at all. My internal sense of balance was, in that moment, restored.

I relished being out when others would not. I had the river to myself and I basked in the sights and that sounds of the natural world that I usually don’t take the time to notice. It was a treat for all my senses -like the thin layer of fog hugging the surface of the Chesapeake Bay visible in the distance. It was surreal. Or the cacophony of a gaggle of geese that serenaded me as they launched from a nearby field and flew low overhear, searching for their preferred nocturnal roost. The aerial parade seemed like it lasted for ever….

As night set in, I gave up fishing, but I was loath to leave my sanctuary and return home. I spent the next hour paddling in the dark and the rain, just observing everything around me. I appreciated Christmas displays, enjoyed perfectly lit sculptures dancing in the wind and simply sat and reflected.

As has happened so many times in my past, I remembered that I am constantly called upon to create my own reality. I can choose how I respond and react to any given situation, at work or on the water. Nothing changed in the 100 strokes I took while performing my own Jekyll and Hyde routine except my outlook. I changed my reality by changing my perception of my situation. Choice is the ultimate tool and all too often forgotten.

When I finally arrived home, I walked inside and announced to my daughter “Balance, Restored.” Being no stranger to my pendulum of perspectives, she simply smiled, having seen this before.

On this Christmas Day, I hope that anyone reading can take a moment and remember that you always have the power to choose. Your choices create your reality, every moment of every day. Even if the choices are all hard or seemingly impossible, the possibility is there.

Remembering this is the best gift you can give yourself, and who deserves it more?

Merry Christmas!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce -

That is a great story - I can relate to it. I did get a chuckle out of one of your phrases "while embracing my aqueous nature with more regularity". It sounded like it was part of a laxative commercial.

Fishing represents many different things to different people. You have found a quick and worthwhile escape to a more relaxing place.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Bruce,

That's an excellent fishing story with no catch report, no photos of lures and no discussion of techniques. But it absoultely nailed the essence of what drives many of us to the water over and over.

Many thanks for that.

And by the way, like you others have told me I have lost weight. It must be true because I put on an old suit last night for a Christmas Eve service that I had, ahem, "outgrown". It fit! So there is another gift from kayak fishing and I didn't have to join Weight Watchers or starve myself in the process.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

That is a great story - I can relate to it. I did get a chuckle out of one of your phrases "while embracing my aqueous nature with more regularity". It sounded like it was part of a laxative commercial.
        John,

You never know. Sometimes I feel as if I am so full of crap, that it just might true!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Bruce, I have read your stories without comment. A lot of us feel as you do about being on the water. This is by far the best story. Some of us cannot there there as much to to work and life. I was done for the year, but after reading this I will be on the water Sunday morning. Thank you for inspiring us all. God Bless and Merry Christmas.
          Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
          Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I just read my post, sorry for the typos, a bit to much merry today.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
              Bruce, I have read your stories without comment. A lot of us feel as you do about being on the water. This is by far the best story. Some of us cannot there there as much to to work and life. I was done for the year, but after reading this I will be on the water Sunday morning. Thank you for inspiring us all. God Bless and Merry Christmas.
              Freddie,

I am humbled that you find my babble inspiring. I hope you find success, however you choose to define it. Enjoy your new ride and be safe out there

Tight lines and Happy New Year!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Bruce,
                Thank you for taking to remind us of how much we are in control of our reality. In this day and age, and I am referring to everything that is imposed on us from consumerism to the media without mentioning the unnecessary details, we end up being lost in a tirade of emotions that don't coincidence with who we are when at peace. Only to realize after the whirlwind that we were able to stop it all by the outlook we take.

God bless you for the reminder to us all and may your new year be filled with health and happy memories for you and your family.
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Merry Christmas to all ......... And to all tight lines

Comment

Working...
                  X