Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a set of HD wheels fit on the Hobie Trax 2-30 cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a set of HD wheels fit on the Hobie Trax 2-30 cart?

I recently posted that I was looking for a used Hobie Heavy Duty cart to use on the boat ramp or pavement. I have the Trax 2-30 cart with the big balloon wheels, but it was a pain to try to get it under the yak (I hear it rocks on the sand) when coming out of the water on the boat ramp.

After reading the description of both hobie carts on line, they both say heavy duty cart and wheels easily come off for storage. So I thought what if I just buy a set of HD wheels and then I can interchange them with the big balloon wheels ... brilliant I know! :-)

Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Are the carts essentially the same on both, just the wheels are different?

Please let me know if you have the answers I seek ... Thanks!

David

Supposedly they aren't interchangeable. I think the hub isn't the same width? Maybe someone else has gotten it to work but I asked at the dealer and they said it wouldn't work. I have the hobie heavy duty plug in cart and wanted to put balloon wheels on it.

I've found the best way to insert cart into kayak if loaded...like when you get back from fishing...is to flip your yak over on its side (always move your rods first) and then plug the wheels in. Sure, a couple things might fall out in doing this but otherwise it's next to impossible to get the wheels under there.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I'll look at the compatibility of putting HD wheelZ on the Trax 2-30 frame*. Initially I think you could do it, just need spacers to keep the narrower wheels from sliding around on the axle.

*Edit: after work this evening...I have both carts.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. The problem for me is that I don't want to drag the kayak on the concrete out of the ramp and turn it to the side to insert the cart. I guess I can try to turn it on its side in the water at the boat launch but too many things in the boat. What I saw Carter do, is to reach under the kayak while it is the water and insert his HD Cart into the scupper holes while at the boat ramp, Pretty easy.

Since my big balloon wheels are so buoyant it wont let me slide the cart underneath while in the water. Not sure if I am explaining it correctly.

Thanks for your suggestion and info.

David

Comment

Does a set of HD wheels fit on the Hobie Trax 2-30 cart?

Yeah I've tried that too but the Hd wheels are too buoyant for me. Maybe Carter is just way more buff than I am and this doesn't pose a challenge. No real dragging/hurting of yak involved in my approach since you just lift the front up-the tail stays in the water
          John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

HD wheels are easy to push underwater, I haven't been able to push the sand tires under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

I put solid wheels on my hobie cart I use 2 on my normal hobie cart. You could use 4 on the trac 2 - 30 cart. Just make sure they are the ones with the 1/2" center hole
              I use these http://www.harborfreight.com/10-x-1-...ber-wheel.html

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

HD wheels fit the Trax 2-30 axle shaft. If you buy HD wheels and want to put them on your sand cart you could just cut a piece of PVC pipe and use that as a spacer between the hub of wheel and the pin that goes through the end of the axle.
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Good to know. I guess it's the other way around that it won't work (sand wheels on hd cart)
                    Thanks man
                    John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                      Good to know. I guess it's the other way around that it won't work (sand wheels on hd cart)
                      Thanks man
                      Correct, sand wheels are too wide to work on the other carts, because their axles are not long enough.
                      Hobie fleet:
                      2017 Quest 13
                      2015 Outback
                      2014 Outback

Comment

not intending to hijack thread, I saw a post elsewhere for a pvc jack to lift end of kayak to fit wheels under. It wasn't too complicated but i can't locate where i saw it. It was essentially a couple pieces of pvc inserted into end , pull the yak forward & it lifts up enough to insert wheels. Anyone else seen this or have suggestions. Dont really like turning yak on side on concrete ramps.
                        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                          not intending to hijack thread, I saw a post elsewhere for a pvc jack to lift end of kayak to fit wheels under. It wasn't too complicated but i can't locate where i saw it. It was essentially a couple pieces of pvc inserted into end , pull the yak forward & it lifts up enough to insert wheels. Anyone else seen this or have suggestions. Dont really like turning yak on side on concrete ramps.
                          I haven't seen it, if you come across it again, please post up...I'd be very interested in seeing the design.
                          Hobie fleet:
                          2017 Quest 13
                          2015 Outback
                          2014 Outback

Comment

Man you guys afraid to scratch your boats up have obviously never fished around oyster beds (a sad state of affairs all the way around)
                            John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
                              Man you guys afraid to scratch your boats up have obviously never fished around oyster beds (a sad state of affairs all the way around)
                              I'm not scared to scratch my boat(s), I just don't abuse equipment if I can help it.
                              Hobie fleet:
                              2017 Quest 13
                              2015 Outback
                              2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X