Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Launch at SPSP - Advice?

Hi All! New to the forum.

Tried to get out on the bay at SPSP July 2 but didn't get there before they reached capacity. Going to try again this weekend.

I've had my Hobie i12s out fishing about 6 times. Caught some crappie in Wilde Lake and white perch in Harness Creek. Feel ready to try bigger water & larger fish.

I've fished SPSP from shore but not from a boat. I'm FAR from ready to get anywhere near the bridge or rockpiles, and with a bad knee my pedal/paddle range isn't that far.

What's my best bet for getting into some fish without getting too far into the bay? I'm thinking of hanging a left out of the marina and drifting between the east rock jetties. Understanding the big rocks & blues are mostly at the bridge, I'd be happy catching croaker, flounder & trout. Is jigging the jetties productive?

Any help is greatly appreciated & glad to be here!

Welcome to the forum. How much space does the i12 take up when deflated? Those inflatable Hobie's are cool.

It is really shallow around those rock jetties to the south of the inlet from what i remember. I have tried there before with no luck. I'm might be a good area to toss some plugs towards dusk but i have never tried that. I don't think they catch many flounder or trout that far up the bay. I think i saw one report of a trout from SPSP last year and no flounder reports. Not saying there not there i just don't see many reports of catching them.

There are plenty of Perch to catch under the bridge right outside of the inlet if you are unsure about venturing out further. I have had luck casting small grubs or spinners at the pylons with rip-rap at the bases on the East bound span. I bet the old ferry pier would also be a good location to toss perch lures at.

I have not Croaker fished there but i think they catch them in front of the beach area but I'm not sure.

The spider Pylons (8 Leg sets on the West bound span) are pretty close to the inlet and normally free of major boat traffic. I have casted jigs and plugs there and caught several rock from them. If you don't have a Fish Finder the Water starts around 6ft at the mouth of the Inlet and steadily descends to about 24ft to 27ft at pylon #23 (the area where the bridge bends and the spans separate). The third set of spider pylons should put you in 10ft to 15ft of water.

Comment

mmanolis2001,

Thanks for the advice. The i12s folds into a bag about 3'x4'x2'. It fits through the front door - barely. That bag holds the kayak, pump & paddle. The cart & my crate are a separate load.

Any advice on the east jetties around the corner? What about the drop off to the channel by the lighthouse? I do have a fish finder, so that may help.

Comment

lighthouse is pretty good...thats my goto area when everything else fails. you can try for spot near the jetties and then hit the lighthouse for some livelining or jigging. but fyi, the lighthouse looks close to the eye but its actually a bit further than you would think.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Gas Yakker View Post
          mmanolis2001,

Thanks for the advice. The i12s folds into a bag about 3'x4'x2'. It fits through the front door - barely. That bag holds the kayak, pump & paddle. The cart & my crate are a separate load.

Any advice on the east jetties around the corner? What about the drop off to the channel by the lighthouse? I do have a fish finder, so that may help.
          That a surprisingly small package for a boat. Nice

I have never tried the east jetties but you might have competition from shore bound fisherman there. I recall seeing people fishing from those jetties before but i don't know it that is normal practice there.

Since you have a FF the you could target drop offs or channels off the beach for Croaker. Any sudden change in depth say 8ft to 12ft or 18ft to 24ft over a short distance would be a good place to try a drift.

The Lighthouse is about a 1/2 mile paddle from the kayak launch which is not bad and people also jig and Live Line that area as well. How comfortable are you with boat traffic? You will have more boats buzzing by at the lighthouse area.

Comment

I think the lighthouse may be a bit of a stretch for me right now.

I've fished the east jetties from shore & had no luck. My biggest concern on the east side is getting nailed by 6 ounces of lead from some Olympic surf casting champ if I get too close to the jetties.

Any bait & color suggestions? I prefer artificials but can drag along a minnow bucket. Livelining spot seems do-able.

Comment

welcome, you can try the riprap area to the south of the bridge and shore there. perch and spot should be there maybe stripers early in the morning and as you get comfortable on the water cozy up to the pilings and give it a shot

Comment

Working...
              X