Tampa Bay Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Bay Day 1

OGWLF members, John Veil, Raptor (Terry Hill) and I are spending three days in Tampa, FL fishing with guide Neil Taylor.

Here Neil and Terry are exiting from a mangrove opening to start our day:

A.jpg B.jpg

It was quite breezy today. You can see the water's choppiness in these photos:

D.jpg E.jpg F.JPG

The wind built as the morning progressed and chased us off the water by noon. However the OGWLF members boated over fifty fish before then. I believe John had over thirty of those, mostly speckled trout. He also caught a lizard fish and a flounder. Terry and I each added ten. Terry caught exclusively specks. Among my catches were a lizard fish, a new species for me and this gag grouper which I caught on the fly -- a yellow Clouser Minnow-like fly:

H.jpg

The grouper and lizard fish pulled much harder than the specks I caught.

Our fishing method today was to anchor up in open water and cast to areas where directed by Neil. John and Terry used jigs with soft plastics as lures. I caught all my fish on a fly rod which was increasingly difficult to throw as the wind built.

Despite being in Florida with water much warmer than we have at home in Maryland, the trick today was to use moderate speeds on our retrieves.

Here is Terry heading back into the mangrove tunnel to end our day:

G.jpg

For lunch Neil fried filets for us from two of the larger trout caught today and they were absolutely excellent. Tomorrow we'll be heading to another area here in Tampa. The wind is supposed to lay down overnight. We're hopeful that it does.
    Last edited by Mark; 12-14-2015, 03:34 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Thanks for the report. Weather here is changing- rain & wind tonight, colder by the weekend. Have fun and catch a bunch for me.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice report. Shore lunch with specks! Yum!
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Terry and I gave Mark a new fishing name "Capt. Long Wand". He had several hot streaks pulling in fish with his fly rod.

IMAG0567.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad you all are finding the fish. Enjoy the rest of the trip and thanks for the report
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice report guys, glad you are having a great fishing trip. How fresh is just caught and just cooked?

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
              Nice report guys, glad you are having a great fishing trip. How fresh is just caught and just cooked?

Yak67
              2015 Hobie PA-14
              2016 Hobie Outback LE
              It was excellent!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The two fish we kept on Mon were caught about 9:00 am. They were cleaned at 1:00 pm and eaten at 2:00 pm.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                X