Keel guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keel guard?

I am thinking about installing a keel protector on my Hobie. Has anyone else installed one, and if so, what brand did you use and was it worth the expense?
    Golden Papaya Outback

I've installed keelEazy on my Revo a long time ago and it was pretty good. I haven't done it on my outback cuz I got lazy... Haha
    It's expensive for what you get but it is still on the Revo after about 2.5 years
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
      I've installed keelEazy on my Revo a long time ago and it was pretty good. I haven't done it on my outback cuz I got lazy... Haha
      It's expensive for what you get but it is still on the Revo after about 2.5 years
      Thanks. Good to hear someone on SL has had a good experience with keelEazy. I agree is a little pricey, but I figure I'd rather spend some bucks protecting the kayak than buying a few more bags of soft plastics that I don't need.
      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

I haven't, my 2014 has some scuffing on the bow and stern keels, but that's after lots of trips. If you are careless and or hard on gear, go for the extra protection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

I've read some have success with a couple of layers of gorilla tape - its much cheaper and seems to last from what i've read.
          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
            I've read some have success with a couple of layers of gorilla tape - its much cheaper and seems to last from what i've read.
            If I was going to do it, that's the route I'd go.
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

It's on my list to do on a nice warm day.
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                I haven't, my 2014 has some scuffing on the bow and stern keels, but that's after lots of trips. If you are careless and or hard on gear, go for the extra protection...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Outback also has scuffing on the keels, but I am careful with it and don't really need additional protection for that yak.

But, I do need it for my new boat -- a Tandem Island. I did more sailing than fishing growing up, and I have had my eye on the TI for quite some time. With the help of a gift certificate I picked up at CBKA, I purchased the 2015 demo from Easton Cycle & Sport. (They were fantastic, BTW.) Given that the TI is capable of reaching some relatively high speeds, and the fact that I expect to use the TI in a lot of shallow water areas, I'm at risk of doing some serious damage to the hull if I strike an oyster bed or some other structure. I don't plan on running it aground, but given that I plan to explore a lot of unfamiliar waters with this boat, it's almost a certainty that I will at some point.
                Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, The S.M.O.G. crew was debating this all season. We use a lot of concrete ramps to launch from in SoMo and our keels took a collective beating. This will be my winter project for both my Yaks. With the season we had last year, I really need to protect those keels.

Yak67
                  2015 Hobie PA-14
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

After reading this thread, check out water and ice shield at your local Lowes or Depot, it is rubberized flashing that has a sticky side to it. It is made in 6 inch wide rolls for flashing doors and windows.
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I've heard of people using a inner tube or rubber tire, along with gorrila tape. It will grip concrete, but ways around it. Cheap DIY. May or may not work for you.

Comment

All great suggestions. I'll let you all know which path I end up taking.
                        Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Guys are using this to modify their handgun grips to better fit their hands.

No idea what it costs. Sounds like it's easy to apply/shape and durable. No idea if a layer spread/molded over the prow/bow would do the job or not. If so, it sounds like it would be easy to "patch" if it gets gouged up badly.

https://sugru.com/about

Comment

Originally posted by M1A4ME View Post
                            Guys are using this to modify their handgun grips to better fit their hands.

No idea what it costs. Sounds like it's easy to apply/shape and durable. No idea if a layer spread/molded over the prow/bow would do the job or not. If so, it sounds like it would be easy to "patch" if it gets gouged up badly.

https://sugru.com/about
                            I have sugru & used it for other things too expensive & not a viable solution for this in my opinion.
                            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                              After reading this thread, check out water and ice shield at your local Lowes or Depot, it is rubberized flashing that has a sticky side to it. It is made in 6 inch wide rolls for flashing doors and windows.
                              Thanks I'm going to give that a try, have some bouncing around the house.

I have just used a thick layer of Goop and it holds up for a year or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X