CONFLICTED, Hobie Outback LE #236

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONFLICTED, Hobie Outback LE #236

So OK, after posting about my Cuda 14 and loving the purity of the paddle, I just brought home a Hobie Outback LE #236 that I pre-ordered and purchased from Delaware Paddle Sports. Before I start talking about why, I first would like to STATE, this shop and these guys are awesome. Cudos to Brian, Chris, John, Allen and the rest of the crew for allowing me to make my decision with absolutely no pressure throughout the year, and just answering my questions. I have found my home shop for Kayak Fishing.

Now for the why, I have fished with a few outback owners and notice how the outback allowed them full access to fishing without having to paddle. I still plan on paddling and at this time do not plan on selling my Cuda 14, which I really enjoy on the water. I tried a few demos this past year of the outback and my only concern was a bad knee, that did not bother me during my demo time. When I started to push hard on the mirage drive, i noticed some discomfort, but also notice the discomfort disappeared when I did not push so hard.

Thanks to the post from Snagged Liners, I am thinking Cowpokey and probably others, (if you can climb steps without discomfort, you can use a mirage drive)

In closing for the Hobie gang, you will have another on the water, for the purist of the paddle, you might still see me depending on the situation on the water.

Most important of my choice for the Outback LE is my favorite color (Orange). After adding all the add ons from the standard outback package, the color the LE swayed my decision.

Hobie Outback LE #236 in the World.

NOW FOR THE RIGGING!
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

DPS is really awesome & goes the extra mile! Welcome to the world of peddlers!
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Congrats, thats a nice yak. But, where's the conflicted part?
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've only heard good things about Delaware Paddle Sports.

Congrats on the new Outback! Can't wait to see you on the water again, but with the new boat!

You shouldn't need to do much drilling while rigging, just find a place for the fish finder base (ehhemm, cup holder, RAM mount 1" ball).

From what I hear/read, one of the best updates Hobie did for the 2016 kayaks is a new wire passthrough that will take all three wires for a Lowrance Elite series, that's a win. That center hatch for the LE is a sweet factory upgrade too. If they made a Lime Green with all that, I would buy another new Outback.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
          Thanks to the post from Snagged Liners, I am thinking Cowpokey and probably others, (if you can climb steps without discomfort, you can use a mirage drive)
          It will take some getting used to. You'll need to find the sweet spot for your pedal adjustment. You want your knees to still have a slight bend at full extension of the pedal stroke. Don't set it so your knee(s) reach full extension, to the point they would lock if standing. It is not a cyclist "stroke" (circles), but it is a cyclist "thing" when it comes to the mechanics of the human knee. You want to adjust the pedals so you just miss hitting full extension with your legs, or shorter if that is more comfortable for you.

Edit add: don't bottom out the pedals with the fins hitting the hull every stroke, that will be hard on the mirage drive. Edit end.

Hope I didn't repeat myself too much in attempting to convey the thought. Welcome to the dark side!
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Paddle verses peddle
            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Paddle verses peddle
              Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                It will take some getting used to. You'll need to find the sweet spot for your pedal adjustment. You want your knees to still have a slight bend at full extension of the pedal stroke. Don't set it so your knee(s) reach full extension, to the point they would lock if standing. It is not a cyclist "stroke" (circles), but it is a cyclist "thing" when it comes to the mechanics of the human knee. You want to adjust the pedals so you just miss hitting full extension with your legs, or shorter if that is more comfortable for you.

Edit add: don't bottom out the pedals with the fins hitting the hull every stroke, that will be hard on the mirage drive. Edit end.

Hope I didn't repeat myself too much in attempting to convey the thought. Welcome to the dark side!
                Thanks for the advice, Giving it a go on friday on the flats.
                Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I was told by Matt Miller from hobie (in person convo) to set the mirage drive so your leg is at full extension. He said at full extension you do not want to hit the hull.

Comment

Freddie,

You’re probably going to ding the fins a bit on rocks, stumps and perhaps bottom out a few times until you get familiar with them. The good news is that the Mirage Drive is amazingly durable and forgiving during your learning curve. After a while it will become second nature for you to know when to feather the fins to protect them from obstructions.

Congrats on your purchase.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Freddie,

You’re probably going to ding the fins a bit on rocks, stumps and perhaps bottom out a few times until you get familiar with them. The good news is that the Mirage Drive is amazingly durable and forgiving during your learning curve. After a while it will become second nature for you to know when to feather the fins to protect them from obstructions.

Congrats on your purchase.
                      Thanks for the advice, depending on the weather I gona start on the learning curve on Friday.
                      Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
                        I was told by Matt Miller from hobie (in person convo) to set the mirage drive so your leg is at full extension. He said at full extension you do not want to hit the hull.
                        I don't know who Matt Miller is. My opinion and suggestions are based solely on personal experience. I'm still new to the Hobie life, just wrapping up my second season...maybe 500-600 hours, somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 mile range total; if I had to guess...maybe less. I honestly don't know. Miles pedaled per fish caught (dinks count ) I have a pretty high average, compared to what the community fishermen (aka liars) are willing to post. LOL
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Matt Miller is a technical hobie rep who monitors the hobie forums. He is pretty sharp.
                          Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                          Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Thanks for the Kind words Freddy T. Enjoy that new outback!

Comment

I don't know who Matt Miller is. My opinion and suggestions are based solely on personal experience. I'm still new to the Hobie life, just wrapping up my second season...maybe 500-600 hours, somewhere in the 1,000-1,200 mile range total; if I had to guess...maybe less. I honestly don't know. Miles pedaled per fish caught (dinks count ) I have a pretty high average, compared to what the community fishermen (aka liars) are willing to post. LOL
                              Between the seat adjustments and pedal adjustments I am sure I will spend most of my time trying to find the most comfortable position without too much pain. Thanks for all the help.
                              Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X