Trax 2 cart busted hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trax 2 cart busted hub

I'm so sick of this trax 2 cart. Those stupid pins are always working themselves loose and falling out when I'm hauling my kayak. Last week I was surf launching and gave my cart to my cart-less buddy who was facing a drag of several hundred yards over sugary sand. When he handed it back to me, the plastic hub on one side was cracked in half. I was so exhausted from a day of pedaling and fishing I didn't care and didn't even think about it until now- a week later. I can take some pics tonight but does anyone have any experience with repairing this? Can I just order the hub? Is it worth it to upgrade to the 2-30 cart with the larger wheels?
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

The 2-30 cart is great for sand. Haven't actually heard of anyone being that happy with the regular Trax 2.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I have the trax 2 - 30 worked good in the soft sand at Lewes.
      I did replace those clips that come with it with clevis pins ( small hitch pin clips ) the original ones ( hood pin style ) fell out all the time.

Comment

Finding a decent, economical kayak cart that will work in all conditions is a surprisingly difficult task.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I would pay almost anything for a cart that works in sand and isn't a huge pain ALL THE TIME. Any companies listening out there??? So this is what I'm working with I'm hoping I can get away with a $12 hub replacement. Anyone have any ideas how to keep these pins from always sliding out?

My YouTube Channel

Comment

[QUOTE=Romo;123001]I would pay almost anything for a cart that works in sand and isn't a huge pain ALL THE TIME. Any companies listening out there??? So this is what I'm working with I'm hoping I can get away with a $12 hub replacement. Anyone have any ideas how to keep these pins from always sliding out?]

I have never used one of these, but have heard that they work well on sand. It is a hybrid cart made up of components from several brands of carts. The Kayak Fishing Store in NJ sells it as a complete cart or a conversion kit. It is not cheap, but your post indicated that cost was not the key issue for you.

http://www.thekayakfishingstore.com/...ulletcart.html

P.S. If you do use a C-Tug, consider replacing their standard strap with a cam-lock strap -- it cinches up more easily and holds tighter.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

What if you just twist a piece of strong wire at the top to keep the ring from separating?w129.jpg

Comment

Trax 2-30 doesn't have those kind of hubs/pins. Mine have never fallen out or failed...although my cart has only been used 15-20 times so far. It works well on pavement, gravel, and sand.

The only draw back it putting in back in when coming off the water with a loaded kayak, that is a two person job; because I haven't figured out how to push it underwater by myself to get the posts in the scupper holes. I wouldn't give up the scupper cart to get one that requires straps, that's just me.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Have you considered making your own cart ??? You can buy the wheels and build the rest.
                  Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                  WS Ride 115 Mango
                  WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Originally posted by KenY View Post
                    Have you considered making your own cart ??? You can buy the wheels and build the rest.
                    Building a cart isn't difficult, but building a good cart is very difficult.

Scupper carts are a PITA when you're dealing with a completely loaded yak. Unloading everything before turning the yak on its side can take 5-10 minutes. Some people put the cart in while the yak is in the water...not ideal in the winter. Or even the summer when you consider that you're about to get in your car.

Kickstand-style carts have their own drawbacks. Often they take up more room, and many aren't compatible with various hull styles.
                    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                    Garmin Echomap 93sv
                    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                      Building a cart isn't difficult, but building a good cart is very difficult.

Scupper carts are a PITA when you're dealing with a completely loaded yak. Unloading everything before turning the yak on its side can take 5-10 minutes. Some people put the cart in while the yak is in the water...not ideal in the winter. Or even the summer when you consider that you're about to get in your car.

Kickstand-style carts have their own drawbacks. Often they take up more room, and many aren't compatible with various hull styles.
                      Yes, nothing is perfect and everything has drawbacks. Gotta make a decision on what is most important to you.

I went with a scupper cart. Yes, it takes time to unload before you can load it on the cart yourself. Butt, I need that lil bit of rest after a long day of fishing anyways.
                      Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                      WS Ride 115 Mango
                      WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Yea I travel light so a scupper cart is what I'm looking for. I take out my crate, put my rods in the crate's rod holders, flip my yak on its side and I'm done. I just ordered a new hub and I will try something like spangler suggested to keep the pins in. I had a kickstand style cart before this one and I will never, ever, ever go back to one of those. It's impossible to cinch them down enough to keep them from slipping, especially when pulling over sand or rough terrain. At least when a wheel pops off during transport all I have to do is slide it back on the axle and re-insert the pin. With those kickstand carts its a huge process.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Romo
                          That's is the old style cart you have there. The new ones have a hole drilled in them to use a different style pin. you can have yours drilled by someone with a drill press. It is hard steel so it is difficult to do with a hand drill. My trac 2 -30 has the old style clips. The next time I am using my drill press I will be converting mine to the new style retainer.

old style IMG_1513.jpg new style IMG_1514.jpg New clip need to make it work IMG_1512.jpg the retainer clips are around $.25 at most hardware stores.

you could just get a clip that fits into the slot to hold the wheel on. I would also install an 1/2" stainless washer between the clip and the wheel. ( I didn't have one for the picture )IMG_1517.jpg
                          Last edited by plastic boat; 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for bringing me up to speed Jeff. I don't have any friends with drill presses so I think I will give the retainer clips a try when my next hub breaks or gets lost

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Romo, I'm sure there are some local machine shops that could drill the necessary holes in that cart for 10 bucks or so. it would take them a minute or two.
                              Rich
                              Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Working...
                              X