CBBT Tautog (Nov 28, 2015)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Tautog (Nov 28, 2015)

There were about 10 kayakers. We didn't do well. I think Efrin and I were the only ones with a keeper tog each. I caught 5 small togs. I also tried for stripers when I see some fish on the FF. No stripers. I caught two big toadfish, 16" and 17". I didn't take a pic of the 17 incher, but later I took a Pic of the 16 incher.

Before the launch I found that the rudder steering handle was missing (on Hobie Outback). Luckily the handle was somehow on the truck bed. Though I needed a torx screw driver. Lucky again, one of the local kayakers (I knew all of them because we fished together in the past) happened had the torx screw driver. SO I will be carrying the torx screw driver in my tackle bag.

One of Dave's Black Drum:

16 inch Toadfish (I don't have a pic of a 17 incher:

One of Joe's Black Drum:

19" Tautog from Santa (I've been good):

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-29-2015, 04:12 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I used green crab and caught only toads. I talked to three other yakers, and nobody caught togs. One yaker was on the water over 11 hrs and came up empty handed. I watched the several yakers and boaters at the 1st island, and I saw only one yaker pull up a bsb and a boater pull up a short tog. Yeah, it was a tough day.

So, you did well on a nice tog, Joe. And it's gift wrapped!

I did see Santa Claus, but he wasn't passing out tog presents to everyone. Just good cheer. Every time I heard passing vehicles honk their horns on the bridge above, I knew they were saying "Hi" to Joe on the water below.

And yes, it was a very good day to yak fish. Partly cloudy, calm waters, and low breeze. Water was 55 deg, ideal for tog.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

It was good to meet you guys out there. I was at the island as the sun came up and spent all day out there and didn't catch any tog, just oyster toads and a 14" black drum which was a first for me. The weather was great but the current was brutal at times. I learned that I will need to bring more than 4 oz weights when fishing there so close to a full moon.
      2013 WS Ride 135
      2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

LOL Santa Joe! I can't stop chuckling at the Santa suit. Nice Tog too! I might have to get myself a Santa hat for my next trip out! I'm surprised you guys didn't crush em! Everything looked so perfect. But I guess that's the allure of Tog fishing!

I had planned on getting out yesterday as well and woke up to a cold. UGGH. I was eyeing the winds all week and sadly couldn't take advantage.

Comment

rwh,
          You sure put in long hours. Were you the one loading the yak in a pick-up with a topper? BTW, just a heads-up. The no-parking sign at the telephone pole pointed to the corner. So, I think you were in that zone.

MM,
          Along with the suit, don't forget the little Christmas tree. Or maybe you could wait until Easter and get that bunny suit...lol.

Comment

I should of listened to Santa and stick around longer at the spot. I gave up after catching 6 or so black drum hoping for the keeper.

On a related note, I decided to exercise the demons that have plagued my hooks looking for flounders and togs. I kept an oyster toad that Tufnik had caught. Amazingly, the fish was still alive in the morning after a trip home in the ice box (though he was reacting slowly when I was showing it to my kids). In fact, his mouth still moved after beheading him 10 minutes after. I wanted to keep the skin on but when I was cleaning it, it felt tougher that I thought and kept only the tail sans the skin. I found the the fish to be mushy (just as it feels when it was alive) with a slight fishy taste. Needless to say, I won't be eating another one but at least i tried it and now am confident the toads will avoid my hooks.

Comment

Tufnik, that was me with the pickup. After looking at street view, you are right. I don't know how I didn't see that sign. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad my truck was still there when I got back!
              2013 WS Ride 135
              2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

Efrin,
                On the way back, during the strong out-going tide, I tried the piling you suggested me fish a week ago. You said togs were biting 4-5' away from the last pillar of the piling. 5-25' away from the last pillar, I had two good tog bites and set the hook both time. I couldn't bring the fish out from cracks. I believe they were nice togs. I verified that there was a large structure. If the current isn't that strong, I certainly will drop the rig on the structure.

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-29-2015, 06:47 PM.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

HokieDJ,
                  How did you prepare it? When I tried it, I had it flour-coated and pan-fried. It tasted pretty good and was not mushy. The cooked fish has a fishier taste on the second day. Also, it sounds like a snakehead; the thing survived out of water a while...lol.

ComeOnFish,
                  Sometimes I fish up to 10 yds from the piling, but I don't know what piling to do that. Too many pilings...lol. So, if the wx is good next weekend, do you think it's time for CHSP?
                  Last edited by tufnik; 11-29-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Efrin,
                    To me, the inner wall at CHSP won't produce in December. The outer wall is also tough in December.
                    I think CBBT will be better from now on.

I am working on both weekend (Dec 5 and 12). I am planning to fish CBBT on Jan 2 next year

joe

Comment

Maybe deep fried is better but this way, you cook the fish in the sauce. It's the texture that I didn't like. soft and mushy like it feels when you hold them and toss them back.

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      HokieDJ,
                      How did you prepare it? When I tried it, I had it flour-coated and pan-fried. It tasted pretty good and was not mushy. The cooked fish has a fishier taste on the second day. Also, it sounds like a snakehead; the thing survived out of water a while...lol.

ComeOnFish,
                      Sometimes I fish up to 10 yds from the piling, but I don't know what piling to do that. Too many pilings...lol. So, if the wx is good next weekend, do you think it's time for CHSP?

Comment

Hey Joe this is Brian that has the pro angler that curious what bait you caught the tog on

Comment

He was using Shrimp

Comment

Belated Fishing Log:

Comment

Working...
                            X