UV Ray Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Ray Protection

The recent post about protecting your kayak from UV rays with a roof during outside storage made me think about the same need during use. Not that it’s a problem at this time of year, but during the summer do you any of you take preventive action to reduce the effects of UV rays on your boat’s plastic? If so what do you do or use? Has it made a difference?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Never thought much about it, but since I now have a yak/canoe cover, I will keep it covered when not in use. Before the cover I kept a tarp over it.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Mark -

UV damage to a kayak is possible but takes place after a very long exposure to sunlight. For those of us who store our kayaks indoors or covered, I don't think we need to worry much about UV damage. Also the major kayak manufacturers are likely to use higher grades of plastic to build their kayaks than do some of the lower cost manufacturers. I know that Native prides itself on using a very high quality plastic compound to provide durability, color maintenance, shiny finish, and long-term protection.

If you do store your kayak outdoors, using a cover or storing it out of direct sunlight is a good idea to prolong your investment.

You can do a search for "kayak UV damage" and get various suggestions. Several commenters recommend a UV protectant like 303 Aerospace Protectant. I have not seen any deterioration of the high quality finish on my Native kayaks and see little need to use protectants.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        I have not seen any deterioration of the high quality finish on my Native kayaks and see little need to use protectants.
        That's encouraging. I know we both spend a lot of time on sunny days on the water. My Revo's finish also looks good after three years of use. I have routinely applied Armor All to the rubber gaskets on the hatches to keep them supple. But I have not applied any protectant to the kayak itself.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I use 303 Aerospace once or twice a year, but that's almost entirely for peace of mind. The real damage occurs over weeks and months of prolonged exposure to the elements.

A tarp, cover or garage is 100 times better than any spray-on protectant.
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I spray the boat down with WD40 after a good rinse and seems to keep the boat protected and looking good, even though I don't have anything to compare the possible wear due to uv rays too. I keep the boat outdoors and covered during the later part of the season. I know that some of your cleaners add some protection against UV rays.

Comment

I baby my Yak, sorry to say. I hose it down, let it dry, apply the UV sun protection cleaner and then put it under a cover I also hit the Mirage drive and Mirage clamps with a little WD-40 each time I come off the salt.

Yak67
              2015 Hobie PA-14
              2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

When I used to work at a canoe and kayak shop many moons ago we put 303 aerospace on all canoes and kayaks. Made them look good and protected them. It does make them a bit slick though.
                2014 Tarpon 120

Comment

Thanks all.

There is indeed a lot online about the matter.

It ranges from strict usage of various protectants by kayakers who take their boats far offshore (they believe protectant will prevent their hulls from literally cracking apart due to prolonged exposure to UV rays) to others who say they know UV rays pose a problem to polymer hulls but will simply buy a new boat when/if those rays damage their existing kayak.

Some mentioned that it would take a very long time of constant exposure and that inside storage mitigates the matter. Others (in HI no less) extoll the benefits protectants because they store their boats outside.

The 303 product was mentioned frequently as were some others.

For me it comes down to the fact I can only give my kayaks so much love. I will continue to keep them stored inside and I may try protectant next summer because it certainly cannot hurt. But I also realize that eventually my Revo is going to falter due to normal use and when that happens I will replace it.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                  X