The very best kind of tired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The very best kind of tired...

I opted to forgo the Severn and launched today from Spriggs to see if the success we have had there recently was still to be available. After much trolling over empty waters (blank screen), I concluded that the Magothy was done for the season. I decided to move away from our happy hunting grounds and make my way towards the mouth of the river. I started seeing more activity and actually got one strong hit that ripped my drag before shaking the hook. I did get 1 20" and thought I would have to settle for that.

Then winds were dead calm and the river was like glass. When I went though the narrows at the mouth, I saw that the bay was as well. There was one boat jigging near by and I called out to him as I trolled along. He reported he had one 27" in the box and expected the bite to turn on "any minute". I answered that would be sweet and went on my way. I will admit, his comment made me hopeful that he was correct.

I started noticing small groups of big gulls getting active by the mouth of the Little Magothy and I headed in that direction. The small groups started to congeal into one big one so I picked up the pace. When I was within a couple hundred yards of the now actively working birds, my starboard side rod was slammed. It was a fat 24" and I thought it was the fish to save the day. Almost immediately after getting my bucktail back in the water, it went down hard again, drag screaming. Up came a fat 26"er. Then the port side rod doubled over with a beautiful 25". All this in a matter of minutes.

The biggest fish of the day was next. It refused to come to the boat. When I finally got it there, I grabbed the leader and pulled it up and my jaw dropped. It was fat an long! Sadly, while trying to grab it with my fish grips, it gave a mighty shake and threw the hook. I was bummed, but got over it quickly when a 27" joined the party (new PB). The fish I did not measure was definitely bigger and would have been my new PB if I could have seen it's actual size.

The next ten minutes were filled with multiple fish, the smallest being 21", most 24" and above. I had never experienced anything like it. By this time, other boats had congregated and everyone had bent rods.

Then it just stopped... The birds were scattered, the wind picked up and nobody was hooking up. It was then that I realized during all the frenzy, the building winds had pushed me well into the bay. I circled behind Gibson Island searching for the school and to get in the lee as it was now blowing a solid 15 right out of the NW and down the river.

I decided to call it a day (as I had life stuff to attend to) and began the trek back home, The winds continued to build and the return trip became a slog going straight into it and facing 1-2' seas that occasionally built to 3'.

By the time I got back to the launch, my arms were spent but it was the very best kind of tired. I just kept replaying the siren song of squawking seagulls and singing drag and the exhaustion just fell away.

At the end of the day, I boated a dozen fish, all of which were keeper+ and most within a 20 minute span. I couldn't take pics of all them as I was too busy reeling in for a while. I can live with that.....

DSCN3137.jpgDSCN3138.jpgDSCN3139.jpgDSCN3140.jpgDSCN3141.jpgDSCN3142.jpgDSCN3143.jpgDSCN3137.jpgDSCN3148.jpgDSCN3149.jpgDSCN3147.jpg
    Last edited by EMSer; 11-24-2015, 03:43 PM.
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

you guys without jobs, ahhhh!

Great catches man!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Holy cow, Bruce, I think you just had a new "epic day".

Those fish thought you were headed to the Severn today. That's why they went to the Magothy. You faked them out.

Congratulations.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Good report! I hope to pedal into that kind of bad luck this weekend, been a while since I suffered fatigue of the arms from catching.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
          I opted to forgo the Severn and launched today from Spriggs to see if the success we have had there recently was still to be had. After much trolling over empty waters (bank screen), I concluded that the Magothy was done for the season. I decided to move away from our happy hunting grounds and make my way towards the mouth of the river. I started seeing more activity and actually got one strong hit that ripped my drag before shaking the hook. I did get 1 20" and thought I would have to settle for that.

Then winds were dead calm and the river was like glass. When I went though the narrows at the mouth, I saw that the bay was as well. There was one boat jigging near by and I called out to him as I trolled along. He reported he had one 27" in the box and expected the bite to turn on "any minute". I answered that would be sweet and went on my way. I will admit, his comment made me hopeful that he was correct.

I started noticing small groups of big gulls getting active by the mouth of the Little Magothy and I headed in that direction. The small groups started to congeal into one big one so I picked up the pace. When I was within a couple hundred years of the now actively working birds, my starboard side rod was slammed. It was a fat 24" and I thought it was the fish to save the day. Almost immediately after getting my bucktail back in the water, it went down hard again, drag screaming. Up came a fat 26"er. Then the port side rod doubled over with a beautiful 25". All this in a matter of minutes.

The biggest fish of the day was next. It refused to come to the boat. When I finally got it there, I grabbed the leader and pulled it up and my jaw dropped. It was fat an long! Sadly, while trying to grab it with my fish grips, it gave a mighty shake and threw the hook. I was bummed, but got over it quickly when a t 27" joined the party (new PB). The fish I did not measure was definitely bigger and would have been my new PB if I could have seen it's actual size.

The next ten minutes were filled with multiple fish, the smallest being 21", most 24" and above. I had never experienced anything like it. By this time, other boats had congregated and everyone had bent rods.

Then it just stopped... The birds were scattered, the wind picked up and nobody was hooking up. It was then that I realized during all the frenzy, the building winds had pushed me well into the bay. I circled behind Gibson Island searching for the school and to get in the lee as it was now blowing a solid 15 right out of the NW and down the river.

I decided to call it a day (as I had life stuff to attend to) and began the trek back home, The winds continued to build and the return trip became a slog going straight into it and facing 1-2' seas that occasionally built to 3'.

By the time I got back to the launch, my arms were spent but it was the very best kind of tired. I just kept replaying the siren song of squawking seagulls and singing drag and the exhaustion just fell away.

At the end of the day, I boated a dozen fish, all of which were keeper+. I couldn't take pics of all them as I was too busy reeling in for a while. I can live with that.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17686[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17687[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17688[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17689[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17691[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17686[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17694[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]17695[/ATTACH]

Way to go Bruce.

T.
          Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Fantastic update, we had a few small ones and Jonas green Beautiful morning for paddle.
            Harlan

Revo 13
            Trident 13
            Cuda 14
            Necky Tandem

Comment

Nicely done! You can recoup over Thanksgiving day.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Great day Bruce. You have had a good week indeed.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congratulations on your awesome day. You're putting in the time so you're bound to hit the motherlode sometime.

Leonard

Comment

We will all celebrate your success on thursday!

Comment

Well done, Bruce!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                      Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Bruce - Congrats on a great outing. I was trying to decide whether to venture out tomorrow morning and your report sealed my decision to go. I received a good tip on a tandem rig from Goody and wanted to give it a try anyway. Hope to have something good to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          you guys without jobs, ahhhh!

Great catches man!
                          I wish I didn't have a job! Retail management creates some non traditional scheduling....
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nicely done!
                            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                              I wish I didn't have a job! Retail management creates some non traditional scheduling....
                              The way you're racking up the stripers I thought maybe you were a commercial fisherman.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X