(Not so) Cold Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Not so) Cold Morning

I launched this morning from Jonas Green at 7:30 with On the fly (Harry) and Harlan. John Veil later joined the fray but I never saw him on the water. I had only radio contact with him.

What a difference a day makes. The wind was down and the temperature was a few degrees warmer than yesterday. It was brisk but the wind chill was much more tolerable today than yesterday.

Harry and Harlan headed south in search of stripers. What a beautiful sky at that time in the morning:

B.jpg

As they went looking for stripers I headed to a tidal pond in search of pickerels.

Given it was low tide I literally had to walk/drag my kayak into the first pond. But it was worth the effort. I got 4 nice sized pickerels there including this guy on a 3 inch Fat Sam:

C.jpg

As it circled my Revo putting a big bend in my rod I had hopes that it would reach the magic 24 inches. But as you can see I fell short.

The next pond I visited did not require me to get out of the kayak to enter. I got six decent pickerels there. This was the largest:

D.jpg

It hit a spinner which was my most productive lure today.

Unlike the pattern of late, only two of the ten pickerels I caught were close to shore. Most were in four to five feet of water a good 15 to 20 feet off the shoreline. That's probably due to the cold night we experienced.

I carried three rods today and never changed lures on either. I caught fish on these:

E.jpg

Six on the spinner and two each on the crankbait and Fat Sam.

We still have almost 3 weeks before the Meet & Greet at Jonas. I was encouraged today that after a cold snap the pickerel were still active. I cannot predict that will be the case on 12 December but let's hope the pickerel will cooperate for us then as they did for me today.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Nice day mark!! Congrats on your catches. I am glad you were able to move about more freely than yesterday!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I fished using three different techniques -- and had poor results from all! I launched about 8:00 from Jonas Green and moved to the nearby debris pile for some jigging. Last Sat, I caught 5 small stripers there -- today not a bite. I trolled down river along the channel edge for another 2 hours. Last Sat I caught 5 fish doing that -- today not a bite. After a pit stop back at the park, I visited a tributary and began throwing a Gulp to the shorelines. Later I switched to a Fat Sam mullet paddletail. The fish were there and were curious. I had at least 15 pickerel that either hit my lure as I retrieved it or swam alongside watching the lure. Yet I only caught one small pickerel out of all that casting.

I put in a good effort today but had little to show other than three hours of exercise (not a bad thing to do before Thanksgiving). Mark was the pickerel master this morning.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad everyone got out this AM, I was not able to make it. Did something in my back while babysitting the grandsons yesterday, so decided not to risk it with Thanksgiving. Mark, agree with you, hope the Pickerel are strong for the M & G. Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
        X