Night light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night light

When searching for old posts, it's amazing how many references are found for "light" that have nothing to do with the absence of darkness. So I make this thread hoping to find some ideas or recommendations for a white light. I'd be using this for night and low light fishing. I just set up my rocket launcher (same hole for flag pole) to hold something similar to this http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...i=21736&r=view ,but that stopped working 3 seconds after using it for the first time.

I think I've seen some YakAttack visipoles and what not and maybe I need to pony up the cash for that, but before I do I just wanted to get any thoughts for something reliable and relatively cheap.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Some folks use these:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Spotter.html

Put it on a piece of PVC or on a fiberglass mailbox marker.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Oh, those are cute lol. Thanks!
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Some folks use these:

That looks familiar. Oh, I use that.

Nightlight.jpg
        Last edited by Goody; 11-24-2015, 02:40 PM.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
          That looks familiar. Oh, I use that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17676[/ATTACH]
          Yeah, you pointed me to that one originally. I still haven't bought one...gives me an excuse to sleep later, I don't have a light, I can't launch in the dark. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Saw a homemade light that I plan on doing. They make a traffic cone/director attachment (clear) for a mini mag light. Then just stick the mag light on the end of a Pvc pipe. I'll try and find the build. It looks much better than it sounds.

Comment

You could always use a headlamp
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Guess it depends on if it's for viability or seeing what you're doing. Posted other without my morning cup of joe. Check out a mini mag light wand. Recommend the LED mini mag for brighter and longer run time. Cheap and effective. Probably a better light than the $90 vis pole from yak arrack too.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                  You could always use a headlamp
                  Or two ... one facing forward and one back. I have a light/flag that I just don't like to deal with and so I don't use it. I'd rather have a spare fishing rod where the flag/light would be.

Comment

I do have a headlamp and that's great for fishing, but this light Im hoping to build is more for not getting run over
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

https://www.tek-tite.com/proddetail....RK_III_-_2_LED

This one costs more, but it uses the same 2led setup as the yak attack light. I got the regular bulb kind when I went the diy rout but it is no where near as bright as the 2 led light.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                      Tan-Tarpon 140
                      Lime-Pelican Matrix
                      Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Pony up for the Yak Attack Vis Pole, it's well worth it. Great battery life, simple design, solid construction, and gives off plenty of light to make you visible 360 degrees to other boaters. You can't go wrong with it.

It isn't bright enough to light up your lap when you need to retie, untangle, or change lures though. So have a headlamp with you too for that kind of stuff.
                        Brian

Comment

Ditto Slobber Bob, I have the visicarbon pro and it was great during all my early morning(DARK) launches this year. The battery has lasted a year. Worth the money and safety.

Yak67
                          2015 Hobie PA-14
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I looked around a bit and just couldn't justify the visi pole. I'm actually glad I didn't cuz I lucked out and rigged a pretty legit light for $10.
                            I bought the light from b&h then needed to find a pole to work with the existing rocket launcher (thanks to cowpokey). The flag base is threaded and what would ya know, I had a broom I wasn't using ;p with threads that matched perfectly. I also had some green duct tape in the garage.
                            I took some photos and am pretty happy with the way it turned out. I fished the narrows last night from 6-11pm and it works great. I wanted to take a photo of it at night but that never turns out how you see it with a camera phone.

-Jon
                            Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                              Some folks use these:

I have that one. Only used it a few times, getting very early starts before the sun was up. I swear by it, not super bright but it has been bouncing around in my gear bag, thrown in my crate and just generally getting tossed around and is still going strong on the same set of batteries for about three years.

Comment

Working...
                              X