Outdoor kayak rack suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor kayak rack suggestions?

I am approaching purchase of my second kayak. I was going to buy it this summer but decided that buying a new transmission for my car would be a more fun use of the money.

In any event, before I buy I need to build a place to store it, as my current yack is sitting on two sawhorses and I dont want to add another pair. Looking around online, I found some pictures of racks that look like they would work for me.

This one looks simple to build, but pretty frail. I could beef it up using maybe 2x6s for the main "legs". I am not sure how stable it would be in the wind with two yaks strapped to it.

This one looks much more stable, but maybe overkill for only two boats?

This one would be simple to build, but it is a good idea to hang a yak by it's handles? I could modify this design to hang the yaks from those truck bed nets. Something like this would ride the wind well.

I would love any thoughts on these, or any other plans worth looking at. I suppose I could just add a second set of sawhorses, but I believe that in the name of domestic peace, I should build something a bit less redneck looking.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Keeping my eye on this thread. I'm trying to think of a good way to store my 2 yaks as well.

Comment

last one looks good, but I wouldn't hang from the carry handles. Some kind of webbing that supports more than the ends would be good. When I first started this addiction, I leaned my kayaks up on the stern against our shed.

Only picture I could find was from when a tree fell in the back yard...circa 2003.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

I would add that when considering any outdoor storage idea that is open to the elements (i.e. not stored inside an enclosed shed) you plan on storing the yaks upside down. Even with a makeshift roof, like the last pic posted by bunnielab, water, dirt, leaves, birds and other critters have a tendency to find a way to turn your expensive kayak(s) into their new condo.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I whipped this up in Sketchup this evening:

The posts are 4x4 and the rest of the lumber is 2x6s. I have a good impact gun I can screw them together with and then back the screws up with bolts. I can get some scrap carpet from work and pad the arms and backs. Using ratchet straps I can secure the yaks to the rack. I think if I actually sink the posts to 3' it should be plenty sturdy, but I have plenty of room behind it to throw a brace that way if needed. I might have made it too tall, but I don't think my current yak will see much use once I upgrade so I don't mind having it up high. Also, if I somehow end up with a third yak down the road, I can move the "arms" to add a third set.

This has become urgent as I discovered that the 2016 Slayer Propel is not offered in the Lime color. As clearly Lime is the best color I need to act soon and buy an old stock 2015 asap. I was going to wait until spring but between this news and being offered more work then I usually get at this time of year, I decided to jump on buying one.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Check out suspenz.com for options. I have the large yak hanger on my backyard fence. Works well.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Whatever you do , have some kind of roof or cover to keep the sun off the yaks, enjoy the Slayer, I also hav ea 2015 in Blue, and enjoy it!......Jack

Comment

I was unsure (didn't like) of the idea of leaving ours out in the weather all the time. My son felt the same as so he started accumulating scrap wood pieces. We also had to buy a good bit of it and I have no idea how much we have in it. Both of us bought stuff and worked on it.

It's a long, low, narrow shed. A couple of 12 ft. treated 4X4's make the "runners" (we moved it with the lawnmower when we finished it). We used 2X4's for the floor joists, rafters and wall studs. We used scrap plywood for the floor and the "2nd story floor". We bought that T11 plywood siding for the walls and front door. We bought that corrugated roofing material for the roof.

The floor extends out a foot or so past the treated 4X4's so we could get enough length for the long kayaks (his is 13 ft and mine is 12 ft. and 6 inches).

The height is 4 ft. (so we got two wall sections from each T11 piece). We used scrap plywood for the 2nd story floor sections. We put some old pieces of carpet on the floors (really makes sliding the kayaks in/out very easy).

No rain, no bird mess, no mice stuff (so far). We don't have to remove the seat from his kayak to slide it in on the bottom floor but we do have to remove the seat on mine to get it into the top floor. We leave the tackle boxes, fishing poles, life jackets and other stuff in the kayaks and sit my seat on the floor in front of his kayak.

No idea (again) what it cost but the kayaks are well protected from the elements when stored and easy to get in/out and all our fishing stuff is stored with them so it's quicker getting loaded and unloaded to start and finish the day of fishing.

Comment

M1A4ME,

Sounds exactly like what I was hoping to do.

Do you have any pictures?

-manny
                  -manny

Hobie Outback
                  Wilderness Systems 130T
                  Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I'll have to take some tomorrow morning when I take the dogs for their morning walk.

Comment

Pics.

Outside. Sits right next to that metal shed (probably not the best place for it but it fit between the shed and the concrete pad just about right) and catches a lot of rain water run off from the shed - but so far, no leaks inside the kayak house. It's been up for about 1.5 years now. Oh, (edited to add) it is raised up in the front to help water run off the roof towards the rear.

With the front off. You can see both levels, both kayaks, the odds and ends up front that can't stay in the kayaks due to vertical clearance issues. My son bought a house and moved out so I bought a second kayak (for my nephew to use when he goes with us), so it's still "full."

Comment

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Q: Do you find that the bottom of the kayak hull deforms after sitting on a flat surface for a long time? It may be more evident in the warmer summer months.
                        -manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I don't think so. Both of these are Ascend kayaks and have a pretty flat bottom anyway.

My son has an Old Town Predator 13 (I think that is what it's called) and he never mentioned any issues with it when he was still at home. Right now he has his just sitting on the concrete floor in his garage. These are all pretty heavy kayaks, too. But I don't know if "heavy" is because it has thicker plastic or more plastic due to the design.

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                            Looks good! Thanks for sharing.

Q: Do you find that the bottom of the kayak hull deforms after sitting on a flat surface for a long time? It may be more evident in the warmer summer months.
                            I have three kayaks sitting on carpet strips on my basement floor. There has been no deformation of hull shape.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Although I believe the preferred method of storage is upside down, I stored two boats right side up for almost 2 years on carpets on the floor of my garage with no flattening of the hulls. Now I keep them on a double-decker rack (still right side up) to save floor space.

PS I like the "Kayak Condo" in the photos.
                              Last edited by Mark; 12-02-2015, 09:09 AM.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X