Stores that have drysuits in stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stores that have drysuits in stock?

Ok, so I'm ready to bite the bullet and quit my reckless behavior of fishing in the middle of winter wearing waders and a fleece jacket. Unfortunately, I'm a try it before you buy it dude so I was wondering if there is anywhere in a 2 hr radius to Baltimore that has suits in stock, that I might try one on ?

Otherwise I may have to shell out for a kokatat custom.

Thanks for any input.
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

I would try Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. Dave usually has stock
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I forgot to mention Annapolis Performance Sailing in Eastport
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Once you get a size go online to clavey paddle sports and join their email and you will get 15% off first purchase. I bought a Kokatat meridian last week and I saved $175

Tom Lagana
        www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Delaware Paddle Sports had them instock.

Comment

Thanks for the shoutout Egriger! Yes we have Immersion Research Dry Suits in stock. Great company owned by paddlers that have been making paddling gear since 1997. We have the Arch Rival
            dry Suit at the shop. Latex neck, wrists and booties with relief zipper. We at the shop personally use Immersion Research Gear and love the company. Great customer service!
            http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/...it/?fullSite=1

We can also order NRS and Kokotat but do not stock them in the shop.

Feel Free to call or text me with questions 302-249-1695
            Thanks Brian

Comment

I was hoping to buy from a local shop when I got mine, nobody had the suit I wanted on the shelf. If you go with Kokatat, their size chart will take care of you. No need to get a custom suit made, that would only be applicable to someone with vastly out of proportion from the average member of society. Tall (6' 3") skinny (175lbs) the Kokatat XL SuperNova Angler fits me well. Look at their size chart and get one that covers your larger dimension for which ever size bracket it puts you in, be it height or weight.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

John,

I put the purchase off for two entire winters including launching into creeks that were partially iced in. Just went for a Kokotat semi-dry suit and could not be happier. They are remarkably light weight and non-restrictive. I feel more nimble and hence safer on the water......
                go for it and don't look back! I have a careful regimen after use to hedge against Raptor's complaint that his dry suit smells like fish....haha
                ST

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  I was hoping to buy from a local shop when I got mine, nobody had the suit I wanted on the shelf. If you go with Kokatat, their size chart will take care of you. No need to get a custom suit made, that would only be applicable to someone with vastly out of proportion from the average member of society. Tall (6' 3") skinny (175lbs) the Kokatat XL SuperNova Angler fits me well. Look at their size chart and get one that covers your larger dimension for which ever size bracket it puts you in, be it height or weight.
                  I'm also an XL in Kokatat and I'm 6'0", 230 lbs. I'm larger in the chest/shoulders. So a bit different than Cowpokey, but it's roomy enough to fit well while layering. I wouldn't layer thick stuff underneath, but certainly nice baselayer, mid layer and a fleece.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                  Kokatat Pro Staff
                  Torqeedo Pro Staff
                  Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                  Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                    I'm also an XL in Kokatat and I'm 6'0", 230 lbs. I'm larger in the chest/shoulders. So a bit different than Cowpokey, but it's roomy enough to fit well while layering. I wouldn't layer thick stuff underneath, but certainly nice baselayer, mid layer and a fleece.
                    Does being "sealed in" keep you warmer and thus eliminate the need for heavier layers? I was wondering how much room I need underneath for layering...I am a notoriously cold potato...

Do you ever layer a jacket or anything other than a PFD on top?

Thanks for everyone's feedback
                    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

definitely leave room for layers.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Anyone ever wear or heard anything about O'neill dry suits?
                        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A144TEG5753ETD
                        I like that it has a neoprene neck instead of latex or something that will give a choking feeling. I know it wouldn't be 100% waterproof, but I think it would do the job. I'm pretty sure I'd head directly to the shore if we're to ever turtle in winter waters.

Comment

I have no direct experience with their dry suits, but they make great wetsuits fur surfing / SUPing. I would assume their other gear is quality as well

Many companies have the neo neck. They call them semi-dry or paddle suits. As long as you are wearing your FPD properly, you will get negligible water through the neck
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

if you have waders and don't want to shell out all the money for a dry suit. you could always use a dry top and a wading belt. I've watched many youtube videos, it keeps you almost completely dry. which for me, is perfectly worth not spending hundreds more on a dry suit.

Just offering another opinion. Then again, I only fish a handful of times during the cold months.

Comment

That's a good recommendation. I do have waders, but if I wore a dry suit over the top and had the wading belt strapped, I probably wouldn't have to worry about the wading pants filling up and sinking me. It's so hard to justify the cost of these dry suits when I would realistically only use it 3 or 4 times a year. But, then again the cost justifies itself a thousand times over the first time you really need it when your in the water in December.

Comment

Working...
                              X