CBBT (Seven Togs) Sat 11-21-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (Seven Togs) Sat 11-21-15

Met ComeOnFish at the launch just after dawn. The small craft advisory ended at 0700 hrs, so the winds were still 12+ kts and the water was a bit rough with some whitecaps. We launched anyway. I got splashed pretty good when the surf hit the bow during the launch.

We fished up to the 2nd SBC with green crab and shrimp looking for togs. ComeOnFish's mirage drive broke a chain during mid-morning. He had a spare cable/chain in his truck, so he went back to do the fix. (He is so well prepared; I don't carry any spare parts...lol)

Anyway, here's my tally:
    7 togs (2 keepers: 16, 18.5"; 5 shorts)
    6 oyster toads
    3 cunners
    1 bsb

Seemed like the tog bite died down during slack tide, which occurred about 1-2 pm.

I talked to another yaker on the water, and he caught 18" and 22" keeper togs (on a blackfish jig with shrimp). Heard a guy on the marine radio ask if anyone caught stripers. Nobody answered. Come to think of it, I had only 2-3 beeps on my FF during the whole day.

The wind and waves settled down during the afternoon, so it was a good day of yak fishing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 11-22-2015, 09:33 AM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

We waited about 2.5 hours until the wind calmed down. I thought we would catch a good number of togs.
    I always visually inspect the Mirage Drive (Pedals on Hobie kayak) and the rudder before the launch. All looked good. But one of the cables on the pedal broke. So I had to come back to my truck for repair. I always carry the replacement parts because the cables broke twice before. We know it always happens while on the water.

When I came back to the shore, I removed all electronics and put them in the hatches. I felt I would be wiped out when beaching the kayak.
    Yup! I got wiped out. I put a lid lock on every cooler. But not on the the newest one I carried. I lost all my baits and foods.

After repairing the Mirage Drive, I went out again. I wasn’t cold. But I was wet all day.
    I caught many toadfish, a cunner, a black drum, and 4 togs. But none of mine wasn’t keeper, under 16”.

I met Pete (JohnE's friend). He gave me baits so I could fish.
    Efrin gave me a tog. I am eating tog ceviche.

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice going!

Comment

Way to help each other out.

Comment

I guess you didn't have the video turned on when you flipped; that would be very entertaining

My FF indicated 57-58 deg water temp, which is pretty much good temp for togs. Am not sure lower temps will increase tog activity that much more when I think it's a matter of finding those critters.

Comment

Good report. I'm curious as to which bait worked better between the shrimp and green crab.
            2013 WS Ride 135
            2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

I couldn't tell which the togs preferred because I didn't give them a choice on two tandem hooks. Joe did some testing in the past, and I think he prefers to use shrimp. He even tried cooked shrimp (do a search for his post on the shrimp experiment).

Hey, Joe, remember when I asked you about the "fun factor" using your tescata in one of your past videos? I generally prefer a stiffer rod for togs, and that's why I don't like the tescata. Well, I figured I try a more flexible rod. During this Saturday trip, I used my Bionic Blade rod (5/8 oz lure rating) that's more flexible than the usual stiffer rod I normally use. But it's not as flexible as the tescata. I used it all day. Guess what? It seems to be more fun, and I like it. So, watching your past video sure lured me to a more "fun rod"....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh View Post
                Good report. I'm curious as to which bait worked better between the shrimp and green crab.
                I think it doesn't matter as long as you have enough baits for the whole day. I prefer head-on shrimp (60-70 count) at Asian store. Head-on shrimp are fresher than headless because there were less processing before packaged. They were once frozen in a 4-6 LB box before putting on the rack for sale at the store. I can use a half or a whole. I prefer a whole shrimp on a 4/0 hook.

Here are things I consider:
                • Shrimp is always available - I can keep multiple bags of 3 DZ shrimp in the freezer for months. With shrimp I catch more species. But it can be an issue if I catch too many trash fish. With shrimp, I have, sometimes, a second chance - I missed a bite, but the shrimp is still on the hook. I carry enough ice to keep shrimp fresh. Carrying ice is inconvenient for some kayakers.
                • Fiddler Crab - not always available. No second chance. But no ice needed.
                • Green crab - not always available. No second chance. But no ice needed. To me, they are dirty and smell like sewage. I think they live in sewage. I use the same hands to eat and fish. I can eat raw fish slime because I touched the fish. But I don't like smell and I don't want to eat things on green crab.
                • Blue crab - Mostly available (meaning I can pack it before the trip). It gets messy when cutting blue crab. I had to additional work to remove the mess when I get home. Besides, the most of blue crab at Asian store are dirty. I don't want to touch them if I don't have to.

hmm... I don't sound like a real fisherman complaining smell and cleanness of baits. But anyway please give me some baits (any baits) when I am out of baits.

Overall, Shrimp has performed consistently in togging for me.

Joe
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I agree with Joe's comments above, but I think blue crab gives you then most chances of all. When placed on the hook properly, It takes a lot of bites for the tog to get the chunk of blue crab off the hook. So, I like blue crab the best, with shrimp a close second.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I read Joe's shrimp experiment thread. Good info there!. I have only been tog fishing twice and the last time I went this past spring, I caught 2 keepers using shrimp after using all my frozen fiddlers. I thought about trying to get some blue crabs to cut up & freeze for this season, because they will be hard to get soon but before the tog quit biting, but I'll probably just use shrimp instead. It seems most boaters cuss frozen blue crabs as bait.
                    2013 WS Ride 135
                    2015 WS Ride 115

Comment

I typically use crabs or fleas and, on rare occasion, I'll bring a clam or two because I can go and collect them myself - i.e. I'm cheap and don't want to pay for bait . But in talking, and watching, some of the shore bound toggers in OC (and some are really serious about tog fishing), they say soft baits like shrimp, and sometimes clam, in the early spring or late fall when inshore water temps are below optimum for tog, are far more productive than hard baits like crab and clam.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                        I agree with Joe's comments above, but I think blue crab gives you then most chances of all. When placed on the hook properly, It takes a lot of bites for the tog to get the chunk of blue crab off the hook. So, I like blue crab the best, with shrimp a close second.
                        How did I forgot to mention that. Yes, you get multiple chances with blue crab. Besides that blue crab works for sheepies I learned this year.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          I typically use crabs or fleas and, on rare occasion, I'll bring a clam or two because I can go and collect them myself - i.e. I'm cheap and don't want to pay for bait . But in talking, and watching, some of the shore bound toggers in OC (and some are really serious about tog fishing), they say soft baits like shrimp, and sometimes clam, in the early spring or late fall when inshore water temps are below optimum for tog, are far more productive than hard baits like crab and clam.
                          Bob,
                          We, the most of VA and MD yakers, drive 2.5 - 4+ hours one way for togs. Thanks God we pay $2.00 for gas now. I used to pay well over $100 for just gas for one trip. Paying $8-10 for bait at the Asian Grocery stores isn't that bad to me. I guess you don't have an Asian grocery store near by.

Joe

Comment

Joe, I'm not knocking anybody for buying bait. There are plenty of markets and tackle shops around me to buy bait at, and I buy bait more than I prefer too; mostly bunker for surf fishing.

I was more saying I do well on tog with crab for the most part as my bait of choice, but I think shrimp outshines crab at times and I might need to start buying some to try more often. Especially when the water gets cold.
                            Brian

Comment

Working...
                            X