No announcement yet.

GoPro Rigging Tips & Tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because we're trolling most of the action takes place behind us so it's a better perspective to have the GoPro mounted on the front of the kayak. If you were jig fishing or casting out and retrieving the rear mount would probably work better.

Comment

I'm getting ready to dive into the world of GoPro myself and from what I have seen my preferred method for a mount will be something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRCT5pJNgBU

Now to be more specific this guy is running 4 GoPros, but the one I like is his front/side mounted on a swivel. I'd like to put that swivel attachment somewhere near my side, theoretically being able to get front/side/back angles with one camera. I'm thinking something like a 8-10" adjustable arm from the base, then a 36-40" arm off that and pivots at all points. For front video I'd mostly be trying to get the camera straight away from me, behind would be as far above my head as possible, and the side a combination of the two. I keep a waterproof camera on the bow that I can control with my phone for the money shots. This guy actually kind of annoys me, but he seems to have the camera thing figured out.

I also planned to hardwire the GoPro into my kayak battery for endless footage, similar to the Limefuel options other members have mentioned. Swapping out batteries is not something I wish to do on a kayak.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Thanks to all for all the replies. Wow! I never would've thought there is this much to consider.

So based on the replies so far, here is what I think are the big takeaways:

1. It seems that some form of extra battery power is in order. That may call for a "Limefuel" accessory or a hardwire to some other (larger) power source.

2. It seems most people prefer the camera mounted up front facing towards the rear in order to catch the trolling action.

3. The different settings on your camera will all take good video, but there are some settings that are better than others that will facilitate video editing once you get back to your computer and/or try to upload your video (ex. YouTube, Vimeo, etc...)

4. Using the Bluetooth feature from your phone in order to control the camera is not convenient.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard about people's techniques for taking pictures during CPR tournaments?

Do folks with GoPro-style cameras just forgo a still picture and show the judges their video?

Or do you guys reach up and stop the video, snap a still picture of your new personal best, and then resume with video?

The answer to these questions seems important to me because if the answer is the latter, one would need to mount the camera within arms reach in order to activate the shutter button and settings while underway. Please elaborate.

Thanks

-manny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOBIE
        Ivory Dune
        13ft Revolution
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I would definitely use a separate phone camera for a measurement pic. Messing with the GoPro more than just pushing the start/stop button is just not worth the hassle/risk. I usually just turn it on and let it run the whole time. I've already lost 1 iPhone this year to the bay, I don't want to lose a GoPro too.

Comment

For tournament CPR, a separate camera is definitely optimal. I have an Olympus WG-3 for that purpose.

Another tactic I've adopted. When I catch a fish, after I'm done dealing with said fish, I stop the camera...then start it again. That way, I know the action is at the END of every file on my memory card, opposed to having to skim through long spans of useless footage. Makes it a lot easier for editing to always know your desired footage is at the end of every clip/file.
            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

oh, and Vimeo is less stringent on music/copyright restrictions. Youtube's library is FULL of the worst songs ever. Their editor is horrible, period.
              <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                Another tactic I've adopted. When I catch a fish, after I'm done dealing with said fish, I stop the camera...then start it again. That way, I know the action is at the END of every file on my memory card, opposed to having to skim through long spans of useless footage. Makes it a lot easier for editing to always know your desired footage is at the end of every clip/file.
                Great idea!

Comment

Working...
                X