GoPro Rigging Tips & Tricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro Rigging Tips & Tricks?

For those of you who have invested in a GoPro camera and associated mounting hardware, I would like your insights:

Q1: Once purchased, I plan on mounting the camera behind my seat facing forward. Therefore, what GoPro camera model provides the widest viewing angle? If you use this wide angle setting, does it produce extremely distorted images? From what I have read, the software keeps the items in the center of the frame sized to their proper dimensions, but stretches the items on the edges of the frame; so some distortion is expected, but is it annoying?

Q2: Do you use the GoPro wireless/Bluetooth remote feature to control the camera with your smartphone? If so, what are the pros and cons? Will using this feature drain your phone’s battery?

Q3: What length of time do you get when video recording? Assuming a blank video card at the start of the recording session, will the camera run out of battery or out of recording space on the video card in a typical fishing outing (6-8hrs)? If the battery is the limiting factor, do you bring along a replacement battery and switch it out while underway?

Q4: What hardware have you found to be the best mounting surface? (ex. Scotty products; Ram products; Yak Attack’s Mighty Mounts)

Q5: For those of you that have the camera mounted behind you, do you use your camera to take pictures of those fish you land during a CPR tournament? If so, are there any special tricks to ensure you are able to capture the entire length of the fish? (This question is related to my earlier ones regarding the best wide-angle shot and the smartphone remote control feature)

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Tight Lines
    -manny
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

I anticipate the replies. I bought a Hero4 Silver recently, and still trying to get it figured out.

So far, the only things I've really figured out:

1) if you change the battery while on the water, you will get moisture in the housing, which will fog up somewhere inside the housing...most likely the camera lens.

2) Wide angle is the best setting, for close distance, which is everything on your kayak. Narrow or medium might be better for longer distance...i.e. shooting video more than 10-20' from the camera.

I have bought bunch of different mounting stuff; monopod, RAM mounts, blah, blah. Along with the expensive GoPro remote. Really not overly thrilled with the whole GoPro experience...should have saved my money.

Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Interesting Cowpokey, I appreciate the candor.
      Tell me, what was your reasoning for mounting the camera in front of you? Or are you still playing around with where you want to place it?
      -manny

Hobie Outback
      Wilderness Systems 130T
      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Yeah, still playing around. Doubt it will be on the kayak this weekend. I would rather fish, than selfie. I guess I'm just not into reliving or sharing my experiences that way. I would much rather muddle the facts while telling the story over a camp fire and enjoying a beer.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Got it. You want to have plausible deniability and no video evidence
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
            Got it. You want to have plausible deniability and no video evidence
            Well, I sure wouldn't want to have anything caught on a recording that I wanted to forget.

Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOBIE
              Ivory Dune
              13ft Revolution
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I actually received a GoPro Hero as a Christmas present in 2013.

I returned it.

While I enjoy watching some of the videos posted here, I was not interested in creating any. I believe it may be a generational thing. Notice that you haven't seen many GoPro productions from the OGWLF group. I have enough trouble getting a decent fish onboard and keeping it on the Hawg Trough for a still photo. I can't imagine becoming a videographer at the same time.

The limits of my technological proficiencies are a waterproof camera and a keyboard to write reports on Snaggedline. I'm pleased that I can accomplish those two tasks!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

First of all, Buy it from REI. REI has hassle-free return policy up to 12 months.

All my GoPro went bad within 3-4 months. The only one still working reasonably is Hero 2.
                  I returned Hero3 (to REI) within 7 months after having issues after 3 months. I had Hero 4 was replaced (REI) within 6 months after having issues after 3 months.
                  I am working on returning Hero ($130, with built in battery) for a month dealing with GoPro. i bought it from Amazon, and it started acting up after 4 months.

GoPro return policy is 3 month. I need to learn more about GoPro policies on return/repair.

All GoPro problems on the web, happened to me and I experienced more than that. the problems weren't caused by memory cards, firmware. i think components of GoPro went bad, so OS (operating system) is not loaded/executed correctly. So things get hay-wired often.

I think I use GoPro extensively, so I experienced the problems years before regular users.

I start and stop recording using the buttons only. I stop recording 1080P video because it is hard to load/edit large video files. It takes to long to load for edit, and I needed a new laptop. I have been using 720P 30 frame for the small video file size (which I can load/edit rather easily)

Regarding FOV setting for Hero4,

I use 'medium' for my helmet cam for 1) bigger image of a fish 2) less distortion. On 'Wide' setting the objects (fish or your friends) appear very small and distorted.
                  On 'Narrow' setting, I can't cover the area enough.

Gopro mounted on the sale mast hole (on my Hobie kayaks, I call it Bow Cam) is set to 'Wide' to cover between rod top and water. Wide setting allow to record fish in the water and rod bent when a fish strikes.
                  Sometimes I set the bow cam to 'medium'. This way i will have less distorted fish image and me.

I prefer use regular cameras such as Olympus for taking pictures and recording friends. When I use GoPro to record my friends I am very conscious about getting close to my friends (for bigger object image) and angling GoPro (vertical angle) properly so that the horizon appears straight line, not curved for less distortion.

You have a Hobie. That is a good thing for video. Hobie is a good kayak to have if you are recording video using a hand held Gopro.

Do not Buy Gopro with built in battery because you can't reset when OS got corrupt. I had to wait until battery drained completely for days/weeks.

You always reformat memory card before the trip. I carry an extra battery for each GoPro (Hero2 and Hero 4). I also carry an extra Micro SD memory card with an adapter. I used 32 GB memory cards. An extra memory card is important because even though you reformat the card. The file error will happen. All you can do is changing the memory card when you are fishing. Memory cards do go bad too. So I don't want to spend money for 64 GB card.

I change battery and memory cards while sitting on a kayak. This means I carry many water bottles to rinse my hands and cameras, and many lint free small towels to wipe my hands and camera lenses.

Fish slime and water got on on the lenses often. So I constantly clean/wipe the lenses.

You need about 10 seconds for Hero 4, to start recording. I always double check, made sure the recording has started. I lost many fish during that 10 seconds.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks Joe. Thanks Mark.

What an interesting couple of responses; definitely at both ends of the spectrum. I was surprised to hear that GoPro has had so many technical/software issues - that can't be good for business.
                    -manny

Hobie Outback
                    Wilderness Systems 130T
                    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Good thread.

I have a Hero 4 Silver, after upgrading from multiple Contour cameras. I primarily mount it for the "over the shoulder" angle. I have a scotty base on both sides of my rear tankwell area. I use a scotty extender to extend over the side of the kayak. Then I use the YakAttack Panfish Camera Mount. It works out pretty well. You can see it here with my old camera housing.
                      Capture.JPG

cam.jpg

Here's an idea of the field of view from this vantage point (I keep the camera set on 1080, superview, wide, ProTune. It eats up more memory, but it helps offset the compression from when I render the video after editing...and when Youtube further compresses it. Vid quality is much better when posted on Vimeo, IMO)

Capture.JPG

The mount is easily within reach, and it twists in case you wanna capture something/someone beside you beyond the camera's field of view.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

If I get a second camera, it will be mounter up front, facing me. Sometimes that POV works better.

For battery, I used to be concerned with battery life...until I began using an external battery. I use the methods/products as outlined here: http://www.angling-addict.com/2015/0...r-sources.html . This will battery will outlast any memory card. You never have to worry about opening the camera up to change anything while on the water, well except to change memory card if you run out of space. It works really well.

When I first got the GoPro, I fiddled with the Bluetooth controls. Simply not worth the effort, nor is it 100% reliable. It just adds one more thing for you to fool with on the water. With the camera in reach, its quicker to just push the buttons manually.
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

I use the Limefuel Go pro Extended battery.. They give you a case that fits it.. it connects to the back of the go pro.. and gives me over 8 hours of recording time..

I use Looping set at 5 minutes. and my SD never comes close to filling..

Best investment ive ever made.. 50$.. keeps me from having to bring extra batterys or worry about changing them out on the water.

I can leave wifi running for the remote or phone. and still get 7.5 hours of record time

i ran 4k resolution and recorded over 6 hours at once..

HIGHLY recommend them
                        Zach Moore
                        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                        Bait Towel Pro Staff
                        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

i use a wasp gideon however i havent been able to get any good fish footage. i bought the wasp because it has a waterproof watch. i can see the time or whats in the frame. kind of cool. i just use the yakattack panfish. however it spends more time off the yak than on the yak. seems like the camera jinxs me

Comment

I'm using the Limefuel Go pro Extended battery too. I just did a test run with the camera mounted in the sailing mast up front. Works great. I can just run the camera the whole time without fiddling with it. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-day-at-Triton . I'm using a 64gb card. According to the camera I should be able to record around 8-9 hrs at 980 60fs and 5-6hrs on 1080 60fs. The video was done on 1080 60fs but youtube down converted.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

I read so many bad reviews and technical issues on Amazon about the GoPros, that I went with the Sony Action cam with live remote. It's been great and is easy to use and set up. Cheaper than GP and no issues after my rookie kayak season this year.

Yak67
                              2015 Hobie PA-14
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Working...
                              X