No announcement yet.

FF GPS question for Newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the input. I did the sale at west marine and got the elite 4 hdi. Great little unit. Used it twice so far and watched ton of video on settings. I used a scupper hole mount on my native and it work well. I did the ram mount and mounted it on the pre- 1/4-20 hole on the pedal system. Also can mount on a rail. Can't wait until I take it on the bay; been on two lakes.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

this is my exact setup Elite 5hdi on Outback
      2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
      LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

I got the Elite 5 recently for my Tarpon 120. Unfortunately the scupper mount won't work on the Tarpon. Has any used the magnetic transducer mount from fishfindermounts dot com? It looks like a great no-drill in water mount but want to be sure it actually stays put.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Naj View Post
          I got the Elite 5 recently for my Tarpon 120. Unfortunately the scupper mount won't work on the Tarpon. Has any used the magnetic transducer mount from fishfindermounts dot com? It looks like a great no-drill in water mount but want to be sure it actually stays put.
          I haven't seen that magnetic mount. You can always mount your transducer to the inside of the hull of your kayak.
          2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

2014 08 gps install 12.jpg
            Did this on my Cuda 14. The hull was too thick to get a good image.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Absolutely! My first yak was a tarpon and I installed the transducer with Duct Seal inside the hull. It worked great, you will sacrifice a few degrees variance with water temps just because the transducer is not directly in the water....but it's no big deal. Do a search for "Duct seal" or "goop" on the forum and you will find some great threads with pics. John Veil has a great tutorial that you should be able to find on the site.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Absolutely! My first yak was a tarpon and I installed the transducer with Duct Seal inside the hull. It worked great, you will sacrifice a few degrees variance with water temps just because the transducer is not directly in the water....but it's no big deal. Do a search for "Duct seal" or "goop" on the forum and you will find some great threads with pics. John Veil has a great tutorial that you should be able to find on the site.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdT4koUEnik
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by mebe007 View Post
                  Another thing keep your connectors and sd card slot packed with dielectric grease. I toasted a power cable from lack of grease and got too badly corroded even with freshwater rinses
                  more info on this? im not familiar...
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                    more info on this? im not familiar...
                    I just recently started using dielectric grease (saw a thread here on SL talking about it) when I noticed some corrosion on my battery terminals. If you put a thin layer on your exposed connections it will prevent this.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058...lectric+grease
                    2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by Scrumptrelecent View Post
                      I just recently started using dielectric grease ...
                      Me too.

In addition to corrosion protection I appreciate the lubrication it provides when making the connections on my FF.

I disconnect and remove my FF after each outing and I welcome that the grease eases the stresses on the thin terminal wires during the removal and installation processes.

I carry a tube of dielectric grease with me and often apply a dollop on the connections at the launch site.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                        Me too.

In addition to corrosion protection I appreciate the lubrication it provides when making the connections on my FF.

I disconnect and remove my FF after each outing and I welcome that the grease eases the stresses on the thin terminal wires during the removal and installation processes.

I carry a tube of dielectric grease with me and often apply a dollop on the connections at the launch site.
                        if you get a chance and think about it next time you apply it post a picture, just looking for an idea of how much your actually applying to these parts.. also you said to the memory card also? please share
                        LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                        X