FF GPS question for Newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
    What maps come with the Elite 5 and garmin 44dv? Are they Bay ready?
    The base map that comes installed in the Lowrance units is sufficient for the Bay. Upgrading to Navionics Plus really adds detail though.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

looks like BPS has the elite 5 on sale for BF this year. they were doing the elite 4 for a few years. These deals have been an ACTUAL good BF deal, not many of those anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
        What maps come with the Elite 5 and garmin 44dv? Are they Bay ready?
        The Garmin comes with all the inshore waters for the US. At least it did when I bought it 6 months ago. They have excellent detail and are clean and crisp. It was a significant reason that I bought that unit
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

One thing you will lose if mounting your transducer in the through hull configuration is the water temp. which comes in handy

Comment

My elite 5 hdi shot through the hull on my slayer propel 13 using the duct seal method and now is in the water on my pa14. I noticed no difference in signal clarity
            Last edited by mebe007; 11-18-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Here's a photo cropped view of an Elite 5 reading through the hull two days ago:

E.JPG

No fish in the picture of course because I was in only 4 feet of water.

But the screen shot is not adversely degraded by shooting through the hull.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SMartin View Post
                One thing you will lose if mounting your transducer in the through hull configuration is the water temp. which comes in handy
                Good point - temperature readings definitely suffer.

Comment

Just a heads up as well I got a flyer from Bass Pro today in the mail. Next Wed-Sun they are selling the Elite 5 HDI with the screen cover and Nautic Inisight chart chip for 275.00.
                  Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by mi327 View Post
                    Just a heads up as well I got a flyer from Bass Pro today in the mail. Next Wed-Sun they are selling the Elite 5 HDI with the screen cover and Nautic Inisight chart chip for 275.00.
                    That's a good price for the unit, and it comes with the screen cover...the chart chip is not much better than the base map. Adds some navigation items, beacons, points of interest; doesn't add any real useful fish catching detail.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

I bought the same unit earlier this year on sale for $299. For me it's worked great. I have 7 amp hour battery I bought for like $25. It hasn't let me down. Great price at $275. Make sure you get the correct transducer. One of them is for use with deep ocean depths... Like 1000'+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd also recommend the ram mount specifically for this unit. Works great, easy to install and remove. Check Amazon.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For those looking to stay below $200, West Marine is selling the Elite-4 HDI with transducer and Insight Pro for $199.99 online from Nov 26-29. I got a flyer in the mail this week.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Another thing keep your connectors and sd card slot packed with dielectric grease. I toasted a power cable from lack of grease and got too badly corroded even with freshwater rinses

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Probably will by the elite 4...maybe 5 during the sales. Buying my propel 10 this week. Can't wait.
                              John
                              Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

I would take a look at the 4 as JA Veil suggested above. While I'm sure the 5 is great, the extra cost wasn't worth it for me for an extra inch of screen. I have been rolling with the elite 4 HDI since the end of last season after upgrading from an extremely basic humminbird unit. Its a great little gadget and has done everything I've needed including getting me home at night in heavy fog more than a few times. I can mark locations easily, the sonar is great and the screen seems just about the right size even when using split screen. I will second the dielectric grease comment above^^^
                                Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X