FF GPS question for Newbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF GPS question for Newbie.

Great Forum. I am new to kayak fishing and haven't even bought my kayak yet. I love trolling so am edging toward a Native propel or Hobe Outback. I have had numerous boats. I have always had separate electronics. I know they make combo units but the screens are so small. Should I get two units? I have used an app on my phone for the GPS chart. Should I get a larger FF and use my phone for Nav? Or get two units? I am sure space is a premium on a kayak. Any thoughts?
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Lowrance Elite-5

Best unit on the market for kayak fishing in my opinion. Screen is large enough to have Chartplotter (GPS map), sonar and down imaging all running at the same time.

I like the Hobie Outback...have two of them.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I use the Garmin EchoMap 44dv. I love it! The screen isn't as big as the Elite 5, but it is more than big enough to meet the needs of most kayak fisherman
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

+1 on the Lowrance - I like the HDI version

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
          +1 on the Lowrance - I like the HDI version
          Mine is HDI also, the current version is CHIRP, which also does down imaging (HDI) but the CHIRP is supposed to enhance traditional sonar...I don't have experience using the CHIRP, but from what I understand it is more of a benefit when used in "deep" water...the kind not found in the Bay.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
            Great Forum. I am new to kayak fishing and haven't even bought my kayak yet. I love trolling so am edging toward a Native propel or Hobe Outback. I have had numerous boats. I have always had separate electronics. I know they make combo units but the screens are so small. Should I get two units? I have used an app on my phone for the GPS chart. Should I get a larger FF and use my phone for Nav? Or get two units? I am sure space is a premium on a kayak. Any thoughts?
            I think that FFers are great and I really like my Lowrance Elite 5 HDI. In fact, it’s so good that it provides much more functionality than I need due to the very nature of my kayaking which is generally confined to fishing relatively small areas because I do not have the trip range of motorboats.

I troll but mainly I troll familiar local areas. I’ve learned where the ridges and channels are so I use the depth reading to find them, not the mapping function. (I should also add that perhaps one of the most proficient kayak trollers on this forum has no electronics. He knows his target areas from experience.)

The actual fish finding function (seeing arches) is of minimal use to me because I usually fish shallow water and I rarely see those arches. When I do see them they merely validate what I already know – like when I’m sitting among feeding birds.

Waypoints are nice on those occasions when I am in open water and want to revisit productive areas. I do not fish that way often.

Tracking is good in unfamiliar water to find my way home. I actually used that function last week on my first visit to the Wye River to validate I was indeed heading back to the ramp.

Speed, again nice to have to but how much does it matter when most of us cannot exceed 3 mph for sustained periods? It can be helpful in deliberately slowing my trolling speed but I can usually sense that on my own.

Distance traveled – Not critical to my fishing success. But it explains why I am so tired after some trips!

Sonar and downscan are helpful to see bottom contours. They validate the depth reading and can be helpful in anticipating a strike after trolling past a ridge or structure.

My Lowrance has many other functions I have never even attempted to employ.

Overall I find the depth reading the most useful function. The other functions have occasional value to me but much more value and application (I think) to those with motorboats. I mention my experience to suggest that it’s wise to think of FF functionality in the context of kayak fishing, not in terms of all the things they offer and market to motorboat anglers.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
              Mine is HDI also, the current version is CHIRP, which also does down imaging (HDI) but the CHIRP is supposed to enhance traditional sonar...I don't have experience using the CHIRP, but from what I understand it is more of a benefit when used in "deep" water...the kind not found in the Bay.
              I think the benefit of CHIRP is a more HDI-like quality using traditional sonar at higher running speeds. My understanding is that HDI is only good to about 6 mph and can't be used on boats when in run-n-gun mode looking for fish.

For kayaks, I think the new CHIRP is not needed since we are in HDI usable speeds all the time. So I'd recommend looking for a deal on "older" Lowrance models with HDI rather than paying for the latest technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidsteer View Post
                I think the benefit of CHIRP is a more HDI-like quality using traditional sonar at higher running speeds. My understanding is that HDI is only good to about 6 mph and can't be used on boats when in run-n-gun mode looking for fish.

For kayaks, I think the new CHIRP is not needed since we are in HDI usable speeds all the time. So I'd recommend looking for a deal on "older" Lowrance models with HDI rather than paying for the latest technology.
                Thanks for the insight, I guess I never read into anything that wasn't kayak related...or if I did it didn't stick in my memory bank, because it wasn't kayak related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

After reading this post in the morning, I decided to get the HDI instead of the Chirp version. Since I will be in a kayak 100% of the time and don't plan to buy a motor boat anytime soon. I just ordered an Elite 5 HDI 83/200 at Cabalas for $299 plus free shipping (use the cpn code for free shipping). Just an FYI for those looking to buy or are on the fence.

Thanks again everyone for the info!

David

Comment

With the Lowrance and Garmin brand how easy it to mount the transducer?. Can they shoot through the hull?
                    John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
                      With the Lowrance and Garmin brand how easy it to mount the transducer?. Can they shoot through the hull?
                      Hobbies come with a mounting point under the hull for Lowrance transducers, no need to shoot through the hull. Many folks have mounted their transducers in a through hull configuration which is what you would need to do with a Garmin or other brand if you don't use a transducer arm. I've heard the through hull has some loss in performance but not to a point of making the finder useless.
                      Mike
                      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

What maps come with the Elite 5 and garmin 44dv? Are they Bay ready?
                        John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Which Transducer did you get for the Elite 5?
                          John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

83/200/455/800.

David

Comment

Search "duct seal" for good info on how to mount your transducer inside the hull.

As I posted elsewhere, I lost a little signal doing it this way versus a transducer arm but I was able to compensate for that by changing the frequencies to 200 and 800 (from 83 and 455).

Much better than a transducer arm overall.

Comment

Working...
                              X