Newbie: Rod Leash or Rod Float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Rod Leash or Rod Float

What are your opinions on float or leash for rods?
    Thanks
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

float. Get some foam pipe insulation and zip tie it to the rod. or spend $ on the floats specifically for the application if you need it to be pretty.

Edit: I'm function first...but still believe in things put together well so they not only work well, but look good too.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I use the ready made floats on my rods, but don't have complete confidence in them. How pipe insulation do you use to successfully float a rod / reel?
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I started with leashes and then added floats because I unleashed the rods when I actually used them.

The commercial floats work (test them) provided they are placed as close to the reel as possible and if your reels are not too heavy. Most of us use tackle suitable for LM bass and the floats will keep those rods and reels from sinking.

I stopped using leashes sometime during last year. Just seemed to be a bit much after many trips and never actually retrieving a rod from the water at the end of one.

Only once have I dropped a rod (knock on wood) since becoming "unleashed" and it floated.

One thing I would caution all about the floats is that if you leave them on your rods all the time they may damage your rods' finishes under them. They'll trap water between the rod and the float either from rain, going overboard or from fresh water rinsing after a trip. That water may over time dull the lacquer finish on your rod. It's cosmetic damage only. I remove my floats after every trip prior to rinsing my rods with the hose.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Floats - yes, they work - I test them all the time

For typical light tackle I use the ready-made ones.

For big heavy rods and reels I use home made from pipe insulation for extra flotation.

Comment

Floats! Leashes just get in the way when you get a strike and try to grab your rod to start reeling. The leash always seemed to wrap around my rod holder.

Comment

Working...
            X