Comparative Specs for pedal drive fishing kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparative Specs for pedal drive fishing kayaks

Pedal-drive kayaks are great for fishing since you can keep your hands free while still moving. In the Chesapeake Bay region, Hobies dominate the pedal-drive market. They have had pedal-drive offerings for many years and have thousands of devoted followers. Hobie has several other larger tandem pedal-drive models too -- they are not considered in the comparison below.

Native Watercraft also offers several pedal-drive models and offers the ability to move in both forward and reverse. Native has an older model (Mariner) that is no longer available as a new product. Native will introduce a pedal-drive version of its Ultimate FX in 2016. Neither the Mariner nor the Ultimate FX Propel are considered in the comparison below.

In much the same fashion as pickup truck owners loving their own brand and shunning competing brands (for example, the cartoon stickers showing a nasty boy peeing on the logo of a competing brand), the pedal-drive market is very polarized. In this post I want to provide some basic specifications on size (length, weight, weight capacity) to allow an objective comparison of those features. The specifications were taken from each company's website. Note that fitted weight means the weight of the hull without the seat or pedal drive. Fully rigged weight includes those two items. For many of us, weight is a very important criterion for handling on land, transporting in or on your vehicle, and storing at home.

I own three Native kayaks and often fish with Hobie owners. All pedal-drive models are good fishing machines, particularly for trolling. Yet each model offers its own pros and cons. I am not going to go into specific features of each, nor am I going to discuss price. Potential buyers are advised to check out these things before making a decision.

Model Length Fitted Weight (lbs) Fully Rigged Weight (lbs) Capacity (lbs) Width (inches)
    Hobie Revo 11 11''6" 64 81 275 29
    Hobie Revo 13 13'5" 70.5 88 350 28.5
    Hobie Outback 12'1" 81 99 400 33
    Hobie Pro Angler 12 12' 105 129.5 500 36
    Hobie Pro Angler 14 13'8" 120.5 145.5 600 38
    Native Slayer Propel 10 10' 59 78 400 34
    Native Slayer Propel 13 13'2" 85 104 400 33
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 11-22-2015, 08:12 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Good chart John ..........

Comment

Great chart and breakdown of the models for new potential buyers to see John V.

This visual and feedback from the SL forum will aid new kayak fisherman immensely.

Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

A few thoughts for those weighing the pros and cons of a Propel vs. Mirage drive.

Truth inAdvertising –I did not test drive either the Slayer Propel or any of the HobieMirage drive boats before buying. My decision on which yak to purchase was entirely informed by the data I found online. I ended up purchasing the Hobie Revolution.

These were the points that weighed heavily during my research:

1. The Mirage drive can be used in extremely shallow water (<12”). You just have to depress the pedals to their maximum deflection and “lightly pump” your feet in order tomove forward. The Propel drive cannot operate in water this skinny; you will have to raise the Propel drive and use your paddle instead. If you plan onusing your yak in shallow rivers, creeks, and/or bays, this is important.

2. The Propel drive can move forward or reverse, the Mirage drive cannot – it only moves forward. If you plan on using your yak to jig over structure (like a reef or sunkendebris) or hold tight next to a bridge piling, a Propel drive should excel. To accomplish the same using a Hobie Mirage drive boat, you will need to use your regular two-bladed paddle (or invest in a small, hand paddle) in order to move backwards when needed.

3. At the time I was researching my yak, Hobie had just incorporated the “Lowrance-ReadyInstall” feature to their boats. This makes installing the FF sounder and its associated wiring and battery a breeze without having to cut holes in your boat or manufacture a silicone-infused sounder box. Additionally, if I ever wanted to upgrade my FF at a future date, then a swap out is a no-brainer.

4. Hobie, as a manufacturer, dominates the fishing kayak market. Its products are tried and true and you will be able to easily find replacement parts and knowledgeable dealers. Hobie benefits from a die-hard fishing community around the country and online that regularly shares tips and pointers. That said Native, is slowly chipping away at Hobie’s dominance and will continue to lure prospective buyers and gain market share. Native is doing this by offering comparable products to those produced by Hobie at competitively cheaper prices; Hobie products are notoriously expensive. Native is also building their dealership base and attracting loyal followers. If Native continues to focus on building a quality product, they will succeed in attracting a loyal fan base.

This list is certainly not all-inclusive, and I’m sure there are many more points others can add to this list, but these were the ones that drove my decision.

I hope this helps any prospective buyers out there and I welcome hearing from any Native Slayer Propel owners out there as to what drove their buying decisions.

-manny

Last edited by baitball; 11-23-2015, 04:06 PM.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I don't know if one has an advantage over the other when it comes to fishing the bay, or any other tidal water with enough current moving that you couldn't hold position by pedaling against the water flow. I have jigged the bridge pilings and held position without a single paddle stroke...it takes some practice, but not hard to do.

Fishing non-tidal water, especially reservoirs, where the main type of fishing is holding close to the shoreline or other cover and casting to fish hiding there, the Propel kayaks look to have a pretty good advantage with reverse.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks for putting this up John. I appreciate you looking out for folks just getting started, or having a hard time making up their minds on what to get. (or save up for) I wouldn't be where I am without all the information gleaned for this site and all of the helpful folks on here :-)
            John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
            Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I too bought my first kayak recently, did a lot of reading but didn`t test any. Decided on the hobie outback because of the mirage drive system gives me hands free power and my legs are a lot more reliable then my arms. lol
              2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great job John.

perhaps you can add a width column to your chart?
                I tried all of them & selected PA 14 for stability & comfort. Enough can't be said it is important to try the boat you before you buy.
                Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by dasher View Post
                  Great job John.

perhaps you can add a width column to your chart?
                  I tried all of them & selected PA 14 for stability & comfort. Enough can't be said it is important to try the boat you before you buy.
                  Updated as requested.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

thanks John!
                    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

i just feel the hobie has a much better fit and finish on everything from the seat to all the accessseries you can install. if you fish mainly lakes where you might need reverse then dive all in and get the Torqeedo upgrade for it. heck, I use it all the time even in the bay now. yes its slightly lazy but I feel its a very valuable asset especially when fishing around docks and such. when I a fish gets you around the docks its very nice to have reverse.
                      Rich
                      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Working...
                      X