December 12 -- Last Meet and Greet of 2015 -- Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• December 12 -- Last Meet and Greet of 2015 -- Jonas Green

Now that the November Meet & Greet has concluded successfully, I am posting the first announcement for the December Meet & Greet.

When: Saturday, Dec 12, 7:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

Your co-hosts: John Rentch (J. Rentch) and Mark Bange (Mark)

Where: Our primary launch site is Jonas Green Park located underneath the Rt. 450 Bridge that crosses the Severn River near the Naval Academy. There are at least three other access points to the Severn River near Annapolis:
    1) Tucker St. ramp in west Annapolis that leads into Weems Creek
    2) Truxton Park that leads into Spa Creek
    3) Ellen Moyer Water Park that leads into Spa Creek.

Note that trailers may not be parked at Jonas Green or Tucker St. launch points. The Ellen Moyer Park has a very small parking area and no formal launch ramp. There is an inclined ramp covered with plastic plates for sliding a kayak into the water but no access for a trailer to that ramp.

If you are planning to attend and launch from any site other than Jonas Green please announce so here.

John Rentch and I will be at Jonas Green at 7:00 a.m. to greet you and share our insights on where to fish.

What fish can you expect?
    Stripers may be present in the deeper channels of the Severn. The debris piles from the original Route 450 Bridge (near the present bridge) may yield stripers by jigging. The pilings of the Route 50 Bridge may also produce stripers by deep water jigging.

The most likely fish we’ll catch are pickerels that inhabit the creeks and tidal ponds along the Severn. This is light tackle, shallow water fishing. 1/8 oz. lures and live minnows on 1/8 oz. jig-heads cast to shoreline structure or quiet pools will be your most productive techniques.

The following map will show you the prime pickerel spots near our launch sites.

Pickerel Spots.jpg

John and I will be glad to precisely direct you to those areas or perhaps even join you as you fish them.

Alert: The water will be quite cold by then. Please plan accordingly and wear appropriate protective gear.

On water communication: We will use VHF Channel 68.

Lunch:
    At 1:00 p.m., we will meet for lunch at Red, Hot & Blue barbecue restaurant at the Bay Dale Drive exit off of Rt. 50 east of Annapolis.

http://redhotandblue.com/annapolis/

How to sign up:
    If you wish to join us, please reply to this thread with your intention to fish and/or come to the lunch that day.

John and I look forward to seeing you at this last Meet & Greet of 2015.

Thank you.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

If anyone is interested I'll offer you the use of the BYB Annapolis launch facilities at 222 Severn Ave in lovely downtown Eastport. Please pm me, email (dan@backyardboats.com), or call me if you're interested.

Comment

Thank you for the offer, Dan.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hopefully I will have my yellow 2016 Outback by then (Dan from BYB, hope you are reading:-)

I would like to attend the fishing in the morning and the lunch in Dec. Hopefully, I will have all my gear and yak by then.

Thanks,
        David

Comment

I thought I would be on a plane that entire day, but my plans have changed. I now plan to do both fishing (weather permitting) and lunch. Thanks to Mark and John for organizing.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I am in for both
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I will try and make it for both

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
              Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
              Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

I am planning to launch & lunch w/ you all.

Comment

David, your 2016 Golden Papaya (yellow) Outback will be ready for you this Saturday afternoon!

Comment

I'll plan to be there for both and see what happens when we get closer. This will be my first time targeting pickerel, seems like a great time. Hope to see you all out there.
                    -Jon
                    Revo 13

Comment

I plan on being at both.
                      New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Meet & Greet roster so far:

Dkim73 – Fishing and Lunch
                        J.A. Veil – Fishing and Lunch
                        EMSer – Fishing and Lunch
                        monocacykayak – Fishing and Lunch
                        whenican – Fishing and Lunch
                        jsnyd86 – Fishing and Lunch
                        mccray44 – Fishing and Lunch

Your hosts: J. Rench and Mark
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

What lures baits and hook sizes should we have with us .Do they tend to get deep hooked with live bait .

Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
                          Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by monocacykayak View Post
                            What lures baits and hook sizes should we have with us .Do they tend to get deep hooked with live bait .

I have had good success with 1/8 oz. jig spinners like these:

F.jpg C.jpg

I also use 3 inch Fat Sam paddletails on 1/8 oz. jigs. See below:

P1000910.jpg

Others use Mepps Spinners and Mr. Twisters on light jigs.

They rarely take lures deep. But it can happen if they are particularly aggressive. Forceps or needle-nose pliers are helpful for those occasions.

One thing I've tried this year with some success is to use dark lures on cloudy days and bright lures on sunny days.

Another thing I've done is if I get a follow with the spinner and no hit, I toss out the Fat Sam to the same spot. It has worked with hookups a couple of times, including yesterday in Weems. I think the immediate sight of something different entices them to strike. I imagine it will work in reverse too but I haven't tried that yet because I throw spinners at them most of the time.

I've never used live bait for pickerel however I know minnows on a 1/8 oz. jig will generally out-catch lures of any kind, especially as the water gets cold as it will be on 12 December.

John V. uses minnows as the water gets colder and he avoids deep hooking by NOT suspending the minnow under a bobber. He lip hooks it on a 1/8 oz. jig and casts it to a likely spot. Then he slowly retrieves it as if it were a lure.

Hope this helps.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Just a heads up MAKBF is hosting a two month long pickerel tournament starting December 1st - January 31st. Check out the website for more information www.makbfseries.com.

Unfortunately I have to work and won't be able to make the event but I'll will be out on the Severn a lot this winter. Pickerel are a blast.

Comment

Working...
                              X