OC togless report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC togless report

I went out to try for tog for the first time this fall today (14th). I didn't get out until about noon and by then the tide was already going out so I missed my window to try the jetty. With the wind howling the way it was I don't think it wouldn't have been very pleasurable there anyway. Water clarity in the inlet wasn't the best due to the hard W - NW winds.

Long story short.. I tried two location and only pulled up one 15" male. Pretty slow all around. The few boats around me didn't do much better. I think I saw four or five tog caught by them while I was out. One of the boaters told me that yesterday they had 24 shorts and 3 keepers from the same area we were fishing, but only had 2 shorts today.

Not what I was hoping for today, but it was good to finally give tog a try. Maybe next time the wind and water clarity will be better.
    Brian

Yeah, keeper togs are tough to get, but good try in the not-so-friendly winds. Thanks for the report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Thanks for the report. Non-productive fishing is still better than going to IKEA and assembling guest room furniture for two days.

Joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

nice report! Went sea bass fishing ( not in kayak & was very successful yesterday). Ocean was flat clam yesterday. looks to be a different story for the next 10 days.

Seen some tog caught 2-4 streets from land.

How do you tell gender on a Tautog?
        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Male tog have big white chins and bellies. They usually have a squarish shaped head

Females have dark chins and bellies and more of a typical rounded head.
          Brian

Comment

Awesome ! thank you very much. is it preferable to return females because of their slow growth rates?
            Red 2015 Hobie Outback
            Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Females also generally have vertical bars on their bodies almost likes stripes
              Ryan
              Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Tried out there again this afternoon. The water was a little dirtier than I usually like and the wind was blowing harder than I remember the forecast calling for. Anyway, the bite was still REALLY slow again. I had to work for them, but I was able to grind out 6 shorts and 1 keeper at 17".
                Brian

Comment

Good job!
                  Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                  Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
                  X