November M&G Report 11/14/2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November M&G Report 11/14/2015

The meet and greet went well, despite the weather forecast. Everyone had a great time. What was interesting is that 50 % or the participants who made it out where fairly new to Snaggedline (3 months to less than a year). As for the report, I decided that since there were a few early birds at Beverly Triton, I decided to check out the Carrs Wharf Launch for comparison. I met MikeMike and Dimo setting up their kayaks ready to launch. The morning was surprisingly clam. I proceeded to head over to Beverly Triton to meet the rest of the kayakers. There were 9 cars in the lot, so we had 11 kayakers who actually made it onto the water. After seeing everyone off, Plasticboat and myself launched. The water was great. My target depth was 14-15 feet of water. On my way out, I could hear all of the elations of Snaggedliners yelling their radio that the were thick into the fish. One guy said that he already caught 5, and several other report to have doubles. Everyone hooked up with fish this morning up to 23 inches. It was pandemonium out there. Unfortunately, by 9am the winds started to increase steadily. The fishing from 7:00am -8:45am was unbelievable for those that were out there. By 10:00am, everyone was either beaching their kayaks at the launch or heading back in for safety. VHF Radios were very important to have to stay in contact with your fellow kayakers. The cost of a good radio is worth it.

Since we all got off of the water earlier than planned, we took a pole and decided to have the lunch at 12:00pm instead of 1:00pm. I updated the Snaggedline thread with the time change. Most of the kayakers arrived at the Green Turtle between 11:30am and 12pm. I believe 11 Snaggedliners made it to lunch. At lunch, we had the bucket of lures raffle. That was won by MikeMike. The donations that was provided by Bass Pro Shops were won by the following (you had to be present at the lunch to win):

1st Place Silusvirus21 with a fish of 21.5
    2nd Place Rockchaser with a fish of 21.25
    3rd Place Harlan with a fish of 21.24
    4th Place YakDiesel with a fish of 21.125

It was a great time. I will let the others chime in on their experience from this morning.
    Attached Files

Delta Team II, consisting of mikemike and I decided to launch out of Carr's Wharf with thoughts of 1) providing some more river coverage to the south of BT and report back to the main group as well as 2) progressively dip our bows into the water in case conditions were the worst case scenario. Arriving at the launch, we pleasantly found absolutely gorgeous waters with a steady W wind of ~10 and waves under 1/2 foot. Immediately upon launch, we checked in over the radio and set about. Half way down the Rhode, I hooked into a 16". Hearing Delta Team I had hit major fish in 13-17' , we booked it to the Bay with the wind helping at our backs.

At the mouth, we proceeded to some interesting structure in 12-13' and I immediately had a double takedown of a 19" and 21" (shall we call them Striper Eyes from now on?). As I was managing lines and whatnot, the prevailing winds picked up quite heartily and we decided to straight line it back to launch.

Judging by the slow pace of progress back, if we wanted any chance of making it to lunch, we altered course for a nearby sandy landing and coordinated bringing our vehicles back for kayak pickup.

Overall a great day with tons of fish and more technical practice with the conditions. Lunch was a blast and I got to meet a bunch of great members and as always learn a couple new things. Thanks mikemike for pairing up to brave the conditions and thanks moc for organizing and coordinating the giveaways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Great job guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

November M&G Report 11/14/2015

This was my first trip to Beverly Triton and my first M&G other than the Jan planning meeting. I've fished with a few Snaggedliners here and there, but it was good to be part of a large group. I really regretted not making it to the CBKA tournament, and this was the last M&G for the year I could make.

I think we were all surprised by the lack of wind and waves starting out. Caught the first fish of the day, turned out to be my largest, zigzagging out to deeper water maybe 150 yds off-shore. As mentioned previously the working birds were way out when we launched, but fairly quickly we were right in the middle of the feast. 14.5' of water seemed to be the sweet spot, and when the bite was hot it was one after another. At one point all 5 boats around me had a fish on, except me, 10 seconds later I had a double. Out of the 8 fish I landed 6 were on a Rapala, and the other 2 on your standard paddle tail. I lost at least 4 fish, all of which were strong strikes. I don't think I caught a fish less than 18", they were all pretty much 18-19" clones. 40-50 mins after the freenzy started it was over and the wind was becoming of some concern. I started trolling back and landed one more bonus stripper on the Rapala. Making it back to shore wasn't too bad other than getting splashed in the face every other wave, but others were having a bit more trouble. We all made it back though and nobody got skunked, which in my mind is all you can ask for.

PB140026.jpg

PB140028.jpg

PB140030.jpg

Great meeting you guys today and promise to make more of these next year!
        Last edited by silasvirus82; 11-14-2015, 11:07 PM.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

WORK WORK WORK Looks like I missed a good time.
          Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
          Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks again for taking the time to come by the shop after the Meet and Greet. It was great to meet you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Backyard Boats Annapolis View Post
              Thanks again for taking the time to come by the shop after the Meet and Greet. It was great to meet you all!
              It was good to see Dan, now that I know where the place is I will have to stop by more often. I live less then 10 miles from the Woodbridge store but do most of my fishing in MD.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Good meeting you Dan. I am glad you keep a well stocked store of Hobie parts. It has helped me on more than one occasion.

Comment

Working...
                X