Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any have experience with Orvis Sonic waders and/or Stormr Surf tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any have experience with Orvis Sonic waders and/or Stormr Surf tops?

I currently have a semi-dry top ( a kokatat Hydrus 3L) that I am not really happy with. In order to get my fat neck to fit in the gasket I had to size up to a XL and as a result the rest of it is comically large. It is uncomfortable to the point of keeping me from wanting to wear it, which leads me to not getting on the water as often as I would like. To remedy this I would like to switch to a waders+dry top system. I understand that this will not provide the same level of protection but most of my cold weather fishing is in the Severn Tributaries and freshwater reservoirs and I am rarely far from shore. I am also willing to not go out on windier days or when conditions are less then prefect. In addition, my fishing interests include wade-fishing for panfish and I am thinking of getting into suef casting. I would like to get gear that can also be used for these pursuits as well.

All this being said, I am looking at the following two items:

Orvis Sonic Silver Guide Waders

These seen to get consistently good reviews online and have a lot of the features I would want in a pair of waders. I am still trying to find a place to try them on, but going by the sizing info the XL should fit me very well.

Stormr Surf Top

This one I am less sure about, but I like what I have read about it. The hood and tunnel pocket are great features as is the adjustable neck gasket. I do worry if it will provide enough protection long enough for me to get back on-board or swim 100-200 yards to shore. But in general it is exactly what I am looking for and could see myself using it for all sorts of activities.

I would love any insight any of you have about these two pieces or advice about switching to waders+top in general. Thanks
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Have you looked at the sizing of a kokatat lk.. Large King? That is what I bought .. If u have a chance, check out the sizing chart on kokatats web sight, I thought I needed a XL but the LK was better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't own the stormr top but I know a couple guys who do... Its good for really cold weather but it is pretty restrictive and you will overheat pretty quickly in anything warmer than say 40 degrees. These guys are using it for surf fishing so I don't really know how it would work on a yak when you're really exerting yourself pedaling or paddling. I personally would not want anything neoprene because it doesn't breathe.
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
        I don't own the stormr top but I know a couple guys who do... Its good for really cold weather but it is pretty restrictive and you will overheat pretty quickly in anything warmer than say 40 degrees. These guys are using it for surf fishing so I don't really know how it would work on a yak when you're really exerting yourself pedaling or paddling. I personally would not want anything neoprene because it doesn't breathe.
        That was something I was wondering about, however it might work out for me, as I hate having to layer up so much and the idea of just wearing a long sleeve baselayer under my top sounds just great. Even if I go with a different top, the ability to more easily (compared with a dry suit) to shed or add layers seems great. Thanks for the info, it gives me more to think about.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
        X