Trolling Reel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Reel?

What's the consensus on reels for trolling. Do you all mostly use spinners or do you use conventional reels for that? I'm new to the kayak fishing and have some spinners but didn't know if I needed to look for a conventional. Thanks
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited #220
    2016 Jackson Cuda 12
    2015 Emotion 11 Stealth Angler

mixed bag- if you are trolling for big stripers, big redfish, etc. I use low profile conventional reels loaded with 30# braid, but lots of folks on the forum use all spinning gear...I find conventional reels makes controlling large fish easier and is heavier duty tackle ...and I am old school- grew up using bait casting tackle
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I concur. The heavier weights and larger lures work better on my conventionals than spinning -- even with the larger size reels that are available.
      -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

I generally use 3000-4000 size spinners. Penn battle are cheap and durable. I like hearing the drag when a fish is on. I guess if you have a clicker on your conventional then you have that too...
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the response so far. I have used conventional reels on boats trolling and I have to admit I love the sound of those clickers but wasn't sure about those on a yak. I currently have a Cabo 50 PSDE and didn't know whether to go up in size on a spinner that could do double duty as a jigging set-up or get a conventional just for trolling. To many damn options !!!
          2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

i run standard medium action largemouth bass fishing rods and reels. all bait casting setups. i spool em all with 30 pound braid . i feel the medium rigs i run still allow a great fight with any fish over 20 inches. i do have ultralight spinning gear for croaker and white perch though.
            Rich
            Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

1idrod,
              Like ronaultmtd mentioned, I carry different rods and reels based on my plan even though I almost always troll for stripers.
              I still have a bunch of boat tackles in case I buy a power boat again. So I have parachutes from 1 OZ - 16 OZ. I have Umbrella between 6" and 12". I have inline sinkers up to 32 OZ.

In the past I trolled (on a kayak) with heavy rigs (up to 16 OZ) to put the lure down 30'-40' under the surface in 50'-90' of water. I had to use Penn GTI 330 and trolling rods. Soon I found that heavy rigs weren't for kayak-trolling. Whenever I hit 2-3' wave more than 30 seconds, the rig hit the bottom.

Nowadays, the heaviest trolling rig is about 8 OZ. It all depends on the calmness of the water (to maintain the trolling speed) and the depths of the rigs (based on fish reading. I don't attempt put trolling rigs down more than 35' anymore (on a kayak).

I think I should use small trolling reels or large spinning reels (6000 series) when I expect to use 6+ OZ rig or umbrella rigs. I ruined bait-casting reels by doing so in the past.

Nowadays, I pick 2 or 3 out of Diawa Lexa 400 (baitcasting, Max drag: 25LB), Lexa 300 (baitcasting, max drag: 22LB), Penn Battle II, BTL6000 (Spinning) and a Shimano 4000 (spinning) reels. Both Lexa 300 and 400 are good for casting also for many fishermen. But I can't cast well with baitcasting reels. So many times, I have to carry a spinning reel.

I think I will troll tomorrow (possible cow stripers in November), launching from Breezy Point Marina. Because of the 15 MPH wind predicted, I will be within 3 miles from the shore for trolling or looking for birds. The depth of the water will be 25 - 45'. I will mainly use Penn Battle II 6000 for trolling 5-7 oz tandem parachute rigs. I want to place the trolling rig 10 - 25' down based on the fish readings. When I jig I will use Lexa 300. If I see breaking fish on the surface, I will use the 4000 spinning reel to cast.

I can use 2000 series spinning reels if I troll lures weighing less than 4 OZ. I haven't ruined spinning reels yet by trolling.

Joe
              Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-10-2015, 08:10 AM.
              Fish like there's no tomorrow.
              Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I like a high end high performance reel for casting and jigging but I generally use cheaper stuff for trolling as you end up getting lots of salt on them and I also figure there's a higher chance of having one go overboard
                John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
                Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks to all the replies. It is very much appreciated. I don't mind paying for the right tool once (within reason) which I guess could be subjective but hate buying 1,2 or 3 times just to get where I wanted to, to begin with including costing above and beyond what I should have spent in the first place. I am new at all this bay and kayak stuff. I have a paddle kayak I bought last spring and love it but now I'm waiting on a new Outback so trying to get all my ducks in a row. Thanks again, David
                  2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I dont troll per say but i use a abu 6500 with clicker when im moving its on a 6 ft med.h uglystik.usaully i just troll a 1 oz jig behind me with a 3 inch gulp grub.15lb big game .its bouncing behind me about 30ft depending on water depth

Comment

1idrod,
                      Like I mentioned on my previous reply, I trolled on Veterans Day. I posted a short video on MD forum, titled "Stars and Stripers II, Veterans Day, 2015 (Breezy Point)".

Everyone has home water and favorite water. So types, weight, and trolling tackles are different. I used medium sized lures for bigger stripers yesterday. But it didn't work.

I used Penn battle 6000 for the tandem lure rig (3 oz sinker + 1 oz parachute with 9" shad + 3 oz parachute with 6" shad.
                      I use Shimano 4000 spinning reel for a 6 oz parachute with 9" shad.

Joe
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks Comeonfish, Yes I've already watched that one. I've subscribed to your youtube stuff so I don't miss any. I also made up some of your tandem rigs you posted on another site and they worked great a few weeks ago at the Bay Bridge. I was catching 2-3 at least to the other guys one I was with. Of course they were all under but it was fun. This was from a boat also and not a kayak. I'm waiting on my new Outback which hopefully will be here by the end of the month. He had just purchased it so we were trying it out. I enjoy your posts and videos. Some good stuff. Thanks
                        2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by 1idrod View Post
                          Thanks Comeonfish, Yes I've already watched that one. I've subscribed to your youtube stuff so I don't miss any. I also made up some of your tandem rigs you posted on another site and they worked great a few weeks ago at the Bay Bridge. I was catching 2-3 at least to the other guys one I was with. Of course they were all under but it was fun. This was from a boat also and not a kayak. I'm waiting on my new Outback which hopefully will be here by the end of the month. He had just purchased it so we were trying it out. I enjoy your posts and videos. Some good stuff. Thanks
                          I've been recommend Outback because it is the most versatile kayak. Good luck with your future kayak. Perhaps you may join us who fish remote area 12 months a year.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            I've been recommend Outback because it is the most versatile kayak. Good luck with your future kayak. Perhaps you may join us who fish remote area 12 months a year.

Joe
                            Thanks Joe, I may just take you up on that one day. I'm trying to gain as much knowledge on this bay fishing as I can. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be a proud new owner of an Outback and start rigging it out. Maybe take a few trips out before doing any drilling to make sure I have things where I want. Again thanks to all who offered advise. Take care !!
                            2016 Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Use spinning reels unless you're going for big game. Which in that case upgrade to a jigmaster. Got mine a couple of weeks ago for $36 and it's dope. Can't wait to take it offshore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Zack
                              Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                              "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
                              X