New to Kayak Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kayak Fishing

I have been an avid fishermen here in Md. for 20 plus years. Most of which have been from power boats. I sold my last boat over ten years ago. I have been missing my boat. Time and money (4 years of private school and now college for my son) has prevented me from getting another. Mainly time. I am always busy and can't devote time to power boating. I have been contemplating buying a kayak for the bay. I am in search of a simple kayak for ponds in lakes around Baltimore but will need something for the bay. What real expectations can I have for fishing on the bay. My last boat was docked at Breezy Point. My other trailer able boats fished from Solomon's to the flats. Obviously launching from a closer areas where or how far can I go or should go? If I launch from Sandy point can I go to the seven foot knoll? Is that to far? Definitely a pedal kayak of some sort. I also love cold water fishing but I need more time and research before venturing out this year; maybe next fall. I definitely have a lot to learn but this website with other resources are a big help.
    Thanks John
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Welcome. In AA most of the launches are car top so weight of the kayak becomes important. That tends to rule Pro Anglers out of the mix. You might look into the Outback or Native kayaks which will give you pedal drive and they are light enough for most people to car top them. As far as distance you can go, that is a function of your fitness and how much time you have. Most trips I do 3 to 6 miles, but there are people who do a dozen miles or more in an outing. When trolling I average 2 knots and when I'm trying to get somewhere I do 3 - 4 knots but maintaining the higher end for prolonged distances is an energetic workout. I recommend you try out a couple of kayaks to see which one fits you best. Most dealers have demo boats for this purpose.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Welcome John. You hit the right site for advice. "Big Mike" was my Obie-One-Kanobi" this year. He and the Annapolis Crew, Old Guys Who Like To Fish (OGWLF) took me under their wings and made me have a great rookie season. Big Mike is dead on about size and weight and car toping your Yak. I am in the process of buying my second Yak a Hobie Outback, for the reason he stated of being able to car-top in to many launches. My Hobie Pro Angler is on a trailer, so this limits you were to launch.
      Go to the dealers while it's still a little warm and lift and peddle some Yaks to get a feel. You will work your way into shape with your Yak. I started the season going out every other day, and finished doing 4-days in a row The Yaks are very stable and get you into places your power boats can't. You will be hooked on the sport once you dive in. Congrats
      Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

tech11165, (John),

You certainly cannot cover the distance in a kayak that you can in a power boat, but you'll find that many of the launches in AA County and on the Eastern Shore put you in close proximity to fish. You'll also fish differently in kayak than you did in a power boat. Your pace will be more leisurely and less run and gun. You'll learn to catch the fish are nearby rather running all over to find them. Still, I can easily rack up 8 to 10 miles trolling (like I did today) but I can also work shorelines in the Severn or its tribs and pedal less than 5 miles yet still catch fish. Also you don't necessarily need one kayak for ponds and lakes and another for the Bay. The sit-on-top models offered by the major makers will do just fine in both kinds of water.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Rookie here. Sold my whaler 4 years ago and started looking for another used one last winter. Wound up with 2 Hobie Pro Anglers. I don't miss the Whaler!
          That said, you cannot cover as much ground in a kayak and so it's true you'll be limited. However, the awesome thing about my Pro Anglers are the sails. You can troll effortlessly and cover lots of ground. A $30 roller furling from Hobie means you can furl that sail in 2 seconds with the tug of a rope and have it outta the way. Both the mast and the sail fold in half and can be stowed in 4 foot bag that looks like a soft rod bag. Gotta be careful not to go too far since wind is unpredictable and you'll have to return, but the sail is everything to me for getting to the points I wanna hit. I LOVE the stability of the PA14 but true you do need a legit ramp or put-in to get in the water. I'm super stoked about fishing and learning more in 2016. Best of luck to you. I highly recommend kayaking! Also thanks to everyone who posts here and helps the rookies learn.

Comment

Welcome! New guy here also. You have definitely have come to the right forum. Any questions you have will be answered promptly and thoroughly. The OGWLF have also taken me under their wings and have taught me more in a month than I would have learned a year on my own. Welcome again to kayak fishing it's quite addictive.
            New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

There's a reason Hobie Outbacks are popular. Haven't heard of anyone selling one to get another kayak...I'm sure it has happened, like selling an SUV for to get a smart car.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

seven foot knoll is about 4-5 miles if not more from sandy point... with the idiots out there id say dont try it
                Zach Moore
                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I did a lot of research on my last kayak purchase and it came down to the Outback or the Slayer. It took me a while to convince myself not to buy a pro angler, but I'm glad I did. The smaller boats are just as capable and much easier to handle, both on and off the water. I don't think you can go wrong with either boat, but the latest Hobies seemed a little more well refined to me.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
                    seven foot knoll is about 4-5 miles if not more from sandy point... with the idiots out there id say dont try it
                    Could launch at Fort Smallwood Park, but it would still be 4 miles. Sandy Point is about 10 miles.
                    Hobie fleet:
                    2017 Quest 13
                    2015 Outback
                    2014 Outback

Comment

Best bet would be downs park.

At most would be about 2 miles.. but its a beach launch. and a 10 $ park fee
                      Zach Moore
                      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Welcome. Whatever you do make sure you try out the kayak before you buy. It makes a big difference being in the kayak trying it out rather than reading about it or hearing about. Lots of folks usually end up trading up that didn't do this. Take into account the style of fishing you want to do into consideration. Each person will find what fits them based on personal preference.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Thanks for everyone input.
                          John
                          Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

John,

Perhaps the closest route to Seven Foot Knoll would be from Downs Park, either the Bayside beach launch or the one on the north side of the park that enters Bodkin Creek.

However, you'll learn that a kayak will open many new waters to you inaccessible by a motorboat. Indeed you may pass more fish paddling or pedaling to Seven Foot Knoll from any of the launches mentioned in this thread than you'll catch once you get there! That's the beauty of a kayak. You'll learn to fish areas that you likely sped by in a powerboat. And you'll find plenty of fish in those places.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X