Tough Day of Togging at CBBT, Nov 7, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough Day of Togging at CBBT, Nov 7, 2015

The forecast (80% of thunderstorm) wasn’t good. But we (Efrin, HokieDJ, and me) fished anyway.
    The wind was milder than forecasted. There were only 2 boats at the First Island. They were skunked.
    We fished hard. I caught about 30 toadfish, 2 black drum, 1 flounder and 2 tautog. I had 3 DZ of shrimp – that is always enough for a whole day. But yesterday, I had to split shrimp (1.5 DZ) into two pieces because I caught too many toadfish.
    When Efrin called me I went his spot where he caught an 18.5 incher. I fished three times around his pilings. I fished other pilings and went back to his piling twice, and finally I aught 2 togs at 12” and 16.25”.
    As soon as beached the kayak, the wind picked up at 30 knots. If I had stayed another 20 minutes, I would have been tumbled when beaching the kayak by the 30 knot Easterly wind in the dark.

Additional Info for newbies for Togging,
    I recorded about 10 minutes for finding a hole and working on the hole that day. I put a piece of it at 2:12 -2:43 on the video. There were 3 holes around the pillar I worked on. Two were not-so-deep holes. The hole on the video was the deepest one I targeted for Tog mainly.

Fishing Log:
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-08-2015, 08:23 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

CBBT (Tog Search) Sat, 11-7-15

Yeah, it was tough overall, Joe.

I launched before 0800 hrs with bucktails and green crab on hand. The water was calm as I fished from the 1st to the 2nd SBC. Met HokieDJ and ComeOnFish on the water, and they also were jigging for flounder and hanging bait for togs.

It was a very slow tog day. I caught a blue and a lot of toads, but got lucky on landing an 18.5" keeper tog. I think Dave caught toads and several short flounder. Not sure what Joe caught since I was off the water before him.

Dave, my secret floun-tog rig worked.

With the exception of a passing rain drenching me at mid-afternoon, it was a fairly good day with mostly cloudy skies, light winds and calm water.

Hey, anyone fish CHSP yesterday? We were deciding whether to go to CBBT or CHSP, and I was wondering if we made the right choice.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Way to go on the togs. I had to leave early and just my luck, the tog bite starts.

I may have to try that double dipping rig. It may reduce the flounder catch rate though.

I ended up catching 4 short flounders, weak fishes and a bunch of toads. At one spot i practically evicted a family of 10 toads. I think i may keep a few next time for revenge and cook them for a recipe i found.

Comment

I think you left about 1-2 pm, Dave. I caught the tog shortly after you left. Called you several times on the marine radio, 69, but received no response.

What a day:
        - Got drenched from the rain
        - The bad howling wind/gust and waves came after I reached shore. Luckily Joe was already in.
        - My right-side windshield wiper flew off during the rain when I was on I-64. The exposed arm was irritatingly scrapping the glass so I had to pull over.
        - Passed by an accident on westbound I-64 just before the I-95 merge. Saw several fire trucks and police cars along with firemen carrying a stretcher/victim from the crashed 4-dr sedan.

Hey, Joe. What sinker weight do you use on that Tescata? I prefer stiffer rods, but in watching your technique, I noticed the extra flex appears to give you more "fun factor."

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
          I think you left about 1-2 pm, Dave. I caught the tog shortly after you left. Called you several times on the marine radio, 69, but received no response.

What a day:
          - Got drenched from the rain
          - The bad howling wind/gust and waves came after I reached shore. Luckily Joe was already in.
          - My right-side windshield wiper flew off during the rain when I was on I-64. The exposed arm was irritatingly scrapping the glass so I had to pull over.
          - Passed by an accident on westbound I-64 just before the I-95 merge. Saw several fire trucks and police cars along with firemen carrying a stretcher/victim from the crashed 4-dr sedan.

Hey, Joe. What sinker weight do you use on that Tescata? I prefer stiffer rods, but in watching your technique, I noticed the extra flex appears to give you more "fun factor."
          All my radio broke after 3 months. I am going to buy one soon.
          I carry extra windshield wiper+blade.
          I hit that accident site. It took me additional 30 min.

Tescata for togging: I use 3 OZ at CHSP. But when the current is strong, I use 4 OZ. I always use 4 OZ at CBBT. At Kipto, I use 3 - 5 OZ depending on the current

Joe
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

I didn't check my phone until i got close to the beach. I wonder why I didn't hear you on the radio. I'll have to check it next time.

You don't go 295 then 64? 295 saves time and it lets you go 70mph which translate to 80 . It also barely has any traffic.

Comment

You're right. I meant 295 merge, not 95.

Sheesh, where are the CHSP tog reports?

Comment

OK,
                I ordered a radio from Amazon. This time I paid $5 for a 2 year protection plan. It will be home soon.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  Sheesh, where are the CHSP tog reports?
                  Not CHSP, but I was hoping to check out OC inlet for myself tomorrow as I was supposed to be off. But work plans changed . Now I'm hoping for a day this weekend.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X