Carbon Fiber Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fiber Hobie

Anyone have experience working with carbon fiber? I'm thinking of making either a pro angler or outback in carbon and wanted to ask for a few suggestions. I realize this is going to be expensive and an incredible amount of work, but is it feasible? My main concerns are all the detailed cutouts (cup holders, trays, etc) and the structural integrity of the mirage drive. My plan is to use my current boat to make a fiberglass mold, then lay the carbon fiber down inside of that. I'm thinking I will need some extra support in the mirage drive, maybe metal struts, or just thick layers of kevlar? I'd also like to slightly change the hull shape of the outback if I decide to go that route. I've read quite a few write-ups on custom boat making and it seems doable, but nothing I've seen is quite as complex as a hobie.

Imagine a 50-60 lb pro angler!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewt...p?f=11&t=43937
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

awesome, thanks. That kayak is amazing btw
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Looks like an interesting project. Have you considered the lost foam method for molding the Kayak? Essentially you would carve the mold out of foam, usually the guys use the cheap insulation foam like you get at a hardware store. Then once the mold is done you lay the carbon and risen on the mold and shape it then when everything dries you use paint thinner or Acetone to dissolve the foam. You might need to vacuum bag it though to get a good finish and a strong hull. Never seen it used to that scale but i know of people using it for car parts etc.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

I have already spoke with the guy who made the kayak in your link, he's sending me a lot more information, particularly how the mirage drive well was constructed. I really can't wait to start on this project. The more I've thought about it the more I think I'm going with an original hull design. I'd like something fast and stable, not too worried about turning radius. A tunnel design is floating around in my head at the moment.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I really can't offer any useful information, just wanted to say that this is awesome and I can't wait to see how it turns out!
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

It'll be 2017 probably before I finish, lol
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
              X