Stripers Today Near Annapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripers Today Near Annapolis

I launched today near Annapolis to no wind and overcast skies. It was around 11am and the tide was low. Paddled out towards the river and came across some breaking fish. I lucked out and caught a beautiful 19 inch striper on a white lucky craft jerk bait. The breaking fish broke up so I kept paddling out. I found some diving gulls and managed to catch 2 more stripers of similar size. I kept working the birds and looking for breaking fish. I had 2 heavy strikes that almost ripped the rod holder off the kayak. Got those 2 nice fish to the kayak but they came off before I could get the fish gripper on them. Had a fun day with nice fish and beautiful scenery.

Tom -

I'm glad you had an enjoyable day with some good pullage. The rivers near Annapolis have done well for the past few weeks.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report. Wish we could get some bird action down south. Most of the birds are just sitting on the water waiting for something to happen, and nothing does. No better fish finder than a bird.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm a rookie at fishing around Annapolis so I don't have a clue what's going on. I saw lots of minnows near shore in a creek. At one spot I saw fish jumping and splashing. They looked like something was eating the smaller fish. Every once in a while there was an obvious big fish that I assumed were stripers. I eventually hooked a few stripers and ther were so much fun and so strong. Beautiful fish. Later I saw gulls diving into the water so I made the paddle to them and that's where the most stripers were. I noticed that most of the fish activity seemed to be white perch feeding. But stripers were there too. Eventually the birds dispersed and so did the fish activity.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Thanks guys. I'm a rookie at fishing around Annapolis so I don't have a clue what's going on. I saw lots of minnows near shore in a creek. At one spot I saw fish jumping and splashing. They looked like something was eating the smaller fish. Every once in a while there was an obvious big fish that I assumed were stripers. I eventually hooked a few stripers and ther were so much fun and so strong. Beautiful fish. Later I saw gulls diving into the water so I made the paddle to them and that's where the most stripers were. I noticed that most of the fish activity seemed to be white perch feeding. But stripers were there too. Eventually the birds dispersed and so did the fish activity.
          I find the stripers mixed in with the perch quite often.

Comment

I had similar experience out of Spriggs Farm launch. Clear your inbox, Dan... it is full.

Comment

Working...
            X