Hawg Trough or Bump board.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawg Trough or Bump board.

I am looking for a few opinions. Positives and negatives on both.

I need something and these seem to be the 2 best options.

Thanks

Ed

I have a Hawg Trough.

Positives for me:
    1. Easy to see numbers on bright yellow background
    2. Sturdy
    3. Concave design holds most fish still for photo (except feisty pickerels!)
    4. Washes easy

Negatives:
    1. Doesn't fold and its length is a bit awkward to store in my Revo.
    2. Sinks like a rock -- I keep it tethered.

Bottom line: Does its job.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

if you plan on fishing tournaments...its getting to where only Hawg Trough are acceptable.

Comment

Are you fishing for largemouth, smallmouth or stripers? The Plano Bump Board expands to 36" which might be more useful if you are looking for length on bigger stripers (the Hawg Trough is only marked out to 30").

Imagine is correct about the Hawg Trough becoming the standard for largemouth/smallmouth tournaments.

A friend gave me a tip for the Hawg Trough. If you apply some "Conseal" or "Silent" traction pads to the back of the Hawg Trough it reinforces the Trough (I have heard of bouncing stripers snapping a Hawg Trough). Those pads also make the Hawg Trough float.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/prod...-black-diamond
        https://www.harmonygear.com/products...tion-Pads.html
        Last edited by Turtle135; 11-02-2015, 10:47 AM.
        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Hawg Trough, add reinforcement and flotation and it's good to go.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Hawg troughs are nice. Cowpokey is dead on. Reinforce it and add flotation! I am on Hawg trough number #3 for the season ACK loves me.

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
              I am on Hawg trough number #3 for the season
              I am on season number 3 for one Hawg Trough. Obviously you catch bigger and heavier fish than me!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I didn't reinforce my hawg trough until after I broke it.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Eh.

I have an ACK Hawg Trough and hate it...nothing but a glorified, overpriced ruler in my opinion. It's hard to be disappointed by a $15 dollar product, but somehow it is still a letdown.

Cons: large, flimsy, doesn't float, and UV causes it to quickly become brittle.

Pros: cheap, common.

It's *THE* standard for measuring fish, especially in tournaments, so your options are limited.

Once this thing breaks, it's a bump board for me since I don't fish tournaments.
                  I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                  Garmin Echomap 93sv
                  RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
                    Eh.

I have an ACK Hawg Trough and hate it...nothing but a glorified, overpriced ruler in my opinion. It's hard to be disappointed by a $15 dollar product, but somehow it is still a letdown.

Cons: large, flimsy, doesn't float, and UV causes it to quickly become brittle.

Pros: cheap, common.

It's *THE* standard for measuring fish, especially in tournaments, so your options are limited.

Once this thing breaks, it's a bump board for me since I don't fish tournaments.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems like the kayak fishing community is pretty innovative and creative. When i browsed the market, I expected to see a small garage type base business building a trough that was durable and float able. But nope.

I like that the Plano Bump board seems more durable and that its adjustable. It just doesnt seem as common in the kayak world.

I think the Hawg trough looks cool. I'd like to find one at a local shop that has printed they 're name on it!

Comment

Hawg Trough is the way to go if you are going to fish any tourneys.

There are ways to help it float. There are grooves on the outside edge on the back of it and you can fill those with some type of foam to make it float, like insulation strips for a door. This is pretty cheap. Keep your eyes out, there are some places that are selling them with the foam already built into them.

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/prod...easuring-board

As others mentioned above, adding the conseal is an option to strengthen and make it float. It is also a great product to use around your kayak to help deaden noise.

I have a hawg trough that is one it's third fishing season and is still going strong. I need to darken the lines on it with a sharpie once a year, but it is working great.
                      WS ATAK

Comment

Bump board, sturdy, already floats fits under the seat of my revo and I ran mine over in my truck after the first trip and crushed it. Called Plano and they replaced it for free. Paid $13 at bass pro. Seems like a no brainier especially after the added expense of making it float and more sturdy

Tom Lagana
                        www.tomlagana.net

Comment

If you're not fishing tourneys a piece of scrap 1x and a stick-on ruler from a tackle shop ($2.50) will get it done cheap. I started with a scrap 1x and a sharpie. ($0.00)

I now have one built into my boat - you can see it on the left side of the blue boat if you zoom in:

1 Tandem 4.jpg

Comment

This company makes some nice troughs albeit pricey.
                            http://www.fishtrough.com/fish-troughs/
                            Currently I use a hawg trough though

Comment

I'm looking into better measuring device as well. I haven't done any tourneys yet but this video was pretty informative for a DIY proj.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nnm38UcnQ8

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                              PigPen - Mt Airy
                              Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                              X