CHSP (Uno tog) Sat 10-31-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP (Uno tog) Sat 10-31-15

It was pretty cool in the morning as I fished the Inner Wall for togs with sand fleas, shrimp and green crab. Nothing, not even a nibble. There were a number of boats lined up along the north side of the wall, but I didn't see anyone pull up fish even though the water was a nice 59 deg.

Met Khoa there and he also fished for togs. He and I agreed: it seemed like all the boats came from the Outer Wall to fish the Inner Wall. Their presence told me that nothing was biting there since a lot of boats came to the Inner wall.

It was about noon, and nobody seemed to be catching togs. Since the water was smooth and the wind was low I decided to try the Outer Wall, even though a lot of boats came from there...lol.

As I approached the Outer Wall from a distance, I could see a lot of boats there. I counted 27 boats along the jetty from end-to-end. During the afternoon I saw a couple togs (maybe keepers?) pulled up by boaters. I caught several cunners and shorts plus a 15 1/2" keeper tog. Man , this place has the meanest rig-eating rocks; I lost seven rigs.

Talked to several boaters and yakers. Yes, it turned out to be a slow tog day, but it also turned out to be a nice fishing day. Mostly sunny, calm water and light winds.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

I'm not sure I have ever caught anything along the walls on the nice days. Beautiful day anyways!

Comment

The bite has been at the outer wall all these weeks. We'll get them next week.

Comment

Joe caught a bunch at the Inner Wall many days ago. So, I don't think it's a wall thing. Like Chimo suggested, it's probably a day thing. So, we need to fish on a not-so-nice day...lol.

Comment

Glad you at least got one keeper. Have you ever tried cunner? I'm curious as to how it tastes
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Cunner is delicious! I keep the big ones I get fishing offshore for tog in the winter. These next few days looks ripe for outer wall togging
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
              Cunner is delicious! I keep the big ones I get fishing offshore for tog in the winter. These next few days looks ripe for outer wall togging
              That's good to know... Always nice to have a good by catch option. What is your personal criteria for a big one?
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Thanks. I will keep cunner next time.

Joe
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

A 12 incher is a trophy cunner but I like to prepare them Cantonese style like seabass/tog so the smaller fish will do just fine. If it looks big enough to eat (and togging is slow) its getting kept. I've seen guys on certain jetties in NJ fill buckets with 6 -8 inchers.

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  That's good to know... Always nice to have a good by catch option. What is your personal criteria for a big one?

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Saw this posted on the Coastal Fisherman website for November 1st:

"The Lewes Harbour Marina Tautog Tournament ended and here are top 3:

1st - Charlie Breitenbach - 10.42 lbs. - caught on Asian crab at The Wall
                    2nd - Randy Jensen - 9.9 lbs. - Outer Wall
                    3rd - Robert Faries - 8.7 lbs. - The Wall"

Looks like somebody was catching some out there...
                    Brian

Comment

I saw the pics. They are keeping some old big fishes.

Comment

30+ boats a day hitting that wall and keeping everything over 15 inches isn't good and surely there won't be much left soon except toads and cunners. A 20 inch tog could be 15 years old so it won't be easy to replace these fish. Some other species (redfish?) better start exploding because the tog can't take all this increased pressure due the already collapsed sea bass fishery and collapsing-in-front-of-our-eyes striped bass and flounder fisheries.

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I tried panko-fried cunner last year. It's good, but on the fishy side. Not to mention the small bones. I prefer tog.

On that Coastal magazine article. What's "Asian crab?"

Yeah, I often wonder how well the fishery can sustain the yield. With all those anglers, it will surely lessen the take-home. Reminds me of Kipto. Seems like everybody wants to fish an easy place to get tog. Chat about the last two years seemed like a lot of yakers were catching shorts, including myself. Nowadays, I'm not too keen on fishing Kipto for togs.

Largest tog I caught was 26" (estimated 30+ years old); from a boat. I'll tell you, big togs don't taste as good as legal smaller tog. Even when bled, big old tog is not all that good tasting.
                          Last edited by tufnik; 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

In MA cunner get much bigger it seems. We caught some that were in the 14"-18" range and brought them home for dinner. They were similar to tog and made great fish tacos.

I worry about CHSP being able to sustain the fishing pressure on the tog. I suspect next year will be tough to find a fish over 14" and harsher limits.
                            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X