No announcement yet.

Spriggs Farm Park Access blocked by local residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's editorial page in the Annapolis Capital paper includes a request from the editor to hear from citizens on issues that concern them. This may be a way to build support against the local residents who are behaving as if they are above the law. At a minimum, sending an email note to the editor letting him know what is going on may stimulate one or more articles that bring this conflict into public view. Letters that are well-thought-out and include evidence (yesterday's photos are on-target) rather than emotional rantings are more likely to get attention.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Let's not forget this thread, when Kayakers were fishing earlier in the day and blocked in when trying to exit:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...light=homeport

This is more of a safety issue in this situation, no way for an injured angler to leave in a hurry.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Should have called the authorities and had them tow/impound the vehicle and fine the owner. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Today's editorial page in the Annapolis Capital paper includes a request from the editor to hear from citizens on issues that concern them. This may be a way to build support against the local residents who are behaving as if they are above the law. At a minimum, sending an email note to the editor letting him know what is going on may stimulate one or more articles that bring this conflict into public view. Letters that are well-thought-out and include evidence (yesterday's photos are on-target) rather than emotional rantings are more likely to get attention.
          Here is the Capital Gazette's contact list:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/cg-con...htmlstory.html

I sent an email to the News Tips link -- a straight forward summation of the situation with photos of the car blocking the road. I encouraged the Gazette to investigate and report.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have also reached out to contacts at the Capitol. We will see what comes of it
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Lisa posted in the Maryland section that there would be 3 dozen sea kayakers launching at Spriggs today. Wonder how that worked out.

Comment

I can see it now, the feds will get involved and protect the one tax payer and violate the hundreds of other tax payers. Sorry,didn't want to get political.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                  Lisa posted in the Maryland section that there would be 3 dozen sea kayakers launching at Spriggs today. Wonder how that worked out.
                  Link?
                  Hobie fleet:
                  2017 Quest 13
                  2015 Outback
                  2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                    Link?
                    http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...gs-Farm-launch

Comment

What a shame. These are typical of so many water front property owners I have encountered since I moved to aa county 17 years ago. Elitist bastards who think they control all things water related. I suppose they would rather have the neighborhood kids continue to party and destroy the property as they have been. Just take a look around the farm house and sheds. Full of beer cans and trash. I have yet to encounter one of my fellow yakers who did anything of the sort. Guess I will be going by the park more often - to help clean up of course...

Comment

§ 14-2-103. Deprivation of use and enjoyment.
                        A person may not deprive others of reasonable use and enjoyment of a park by indulging in riotous,
                        boisterous, threatening, or indecent conduct or abusive, threatening, profane, or indecent language.
                        (1985 Code, Art. 19, § 2-103)
                        § 14-2-104. Destruction of property.
                        (a) Applicability. This subsection does not apply to construction projects or maintenance
                        performed on park land or structures.
                        (b) Prohibitions. A person may not:
                        (1) tamper with, mar, deface, remove, or destroy an official sign;
                        (2) damage, use without authority, or remove an installation, fixture, equipment, or vehicle in or
                        from the park;
                        (3) cut, pull up, burn, carve, or in any manner mutilate, misuse, or damage any tree, shrub, plant,
                        grass, or flower on park grounds; or
                        (4) intentionally destroy, injure, deface, remove, or disturb soil, rocks, or mineral formations
                        unless incidental to a permitted activity.
                        (1985 Code, Art. 19, § 2-104)
                        Seems these sections of code would be relevant to anyone blocking access and messing with the gate locks. The car owner is blocking a public roadway and also blocking access to a public park.

All of the sudden I'm wanting to go down every weekend. Saying that,I think there is a real danger of Having a car vandalized. Seems the locals are very willing to violate any laws they don't particularly like. Prudent use of dash cams hidden video cameras may be called for. Don't get angry and do anything stupid. Let these @holes violate the law and keep a cool head it will prevail.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
                          I arrived at Spriggs today about 1pm, prepared for anything - Gopro running, bolt cutters in the back. I was almost disappointed when I found nothing impending my way. When I got in the gate, I was surprised to see 20+ cars in the parking area. It was Chuck Macmillan and his Meetup group.

I unloaded without incident and got to speak with an wonderful elderly resident who has lived in the area for 50 years. We spoke of the issues and all was very cordial. She acknowledged that there are "hotheads" making things worse and that we should all work together as thing settle down

One of the major concerns has nothing to do with kayakers, it is kids using the park to party. Another is people speeding on the street on the way in. There are a lot of toddlers and they are not used to the amount of traffic.....

Both these concerns were brought up again by the County volunteer that was at the park when I returned. We discussed everything that has gone on, but he wasn't much help. I knew way more of the history of the property and disputes than he did.

I also spoke with Chuck and he reported no incidents with his group.
                          Last edited by EMSer; 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM.
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                            I arrived at Spriggs today about 1pm, prepared for anything - Gopro running, bolt cutters in the back. I was almost disappointed when I found nothing impending my way. When I got in the gate, I was surprised to see 20+ cars in the parking area. It was Chuck Macmillan and his Meetup group.

I unloaded with incident and got to speak with an wonderful elderly resident who has lived in the area for 50 years. We spoke of the issues and all was very cordial. She acknowledged that there are "hotheads" making things worse and that we should all work together as thing settle down

One of the major concerns has nothing to do with kayakers, it is kids using the park to party. Another is people speeding on the street on the way in. There are a lot of toddlers and they are not used to the amount of traffic.....

Both these concerns were brought up again by the County volunteer that was at the park when I returned. We discussed everything that has gone on, but he wasn't much help. I knew way more of the history of the property and disputes than he did.

I also spoke with Chuck and he reported no incidents with his group.

Glad to hear it has cooled down.

I heard secondhand talk of the of the "teenagers partying" thing. The claim was that they are going in at night. If that is so it is directly against the park rules and could be easily and most likely happily enforced by the police or park personnel. I personally think it is just a red herring to use to block all access to the park. The local residents are more than capable and have been willing of block access, calling park rangers, police, DNR etc. So far it seems to only have happened in the daytime with people trying to use the park legally and legitimately.

Comment

By all account Sunday was mercifully uneventful at Spriggs. Rec & Parks had Mark Garrity, one of the senior managers, and two county park rangers were at Spriggs Sunday morning.

Again, will everyone who has been harassed at Spriggs please email Chris Carroll = rpcarr99@aacounty.org with a report of the encounter? Include time and date and your first and last names and snail mail address so he knows you're a real person.

And thank you emails for opening Spriggs sent to Steve Schuh, Rick Anthony and Mike Lofton are still great. The county's taking some heat from the neighbors and it's good for them to know that people appreciate the executive backbone it took to open the park.

Thanks

Lisa

Comment

Working...
                              X