Spriggs Farm Park Access blocked by local residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spriggs Farm Park Access blocked by local residents

I took my first trip to Spriggs Farm Park today only to find that the locals had blocked access to the lower gate. They had also made a homemade sign indicating there was a block party for residents only this weekend. Interestingly, I walked the entire park and there was not a single man, woman or child in attendance.20151031_125706.jpg20151031_125710.jpg20151031_125719.jpg20151031_125727.jpg

Pehaps the next LARGE Meet and Greet should be held there.
    Last edited by mikelreidd; 10-31-2015, 02:02 PM.
    Pelican Strike 100X

Bad people there. Better watch out them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback [emoji41]
    2014 Hobie Outback
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
    2nd PLACE
    Slam Division

Comment

Sorry you were denied access to a public park. Good work on the photos.

If there was no permit registered with the county for the so called "Block Party" the owner of that vehicle and other members of that community who were involved could be in legal jeopardy. Perhaps a civil lawsuit, or at minimum a fine for blocking access to county property and an aggressive local towing and impoundment company would put a stop to this sort activity. Enough is enough.
      Last edited by Fishinfool; 10-31-2015, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I know it's tough, but you have to call the police when this happens. "We all do". Then they can sort it out, document the event and let the residents know they can't do this. A valid "Block" Party would not deny access to a public space, notifications would be made before this could happen. Great job on the pictures, and letting everyone on SL know about this incident. That neighborhood really needs to come to grips that they have to share the opens space with "Everyone".

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I just forwarded the photos to the Anne Arundel County Police.
          Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

I'd also contact the rec and parks person that Lisa has indicated in prior posts so that they are aware as well. It's a shame that some people behave in such a juvenile matter. It's hard when people move your cheese.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Someone also put their own key lock on the lower gate. Rec & Parks just cut it off and will check to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Lisa

Comment

I don't get it. PUBLIC means that ALL of the public is PAYING for it via taxes etc. So all of the public gets access. As simple as that. It is like me trying to block people from coming to my favourite restaurant, closest to my house, because I don't want to eat next to OTHER PEOPLE. There are plenty of PAY-TO PLAY neighborhoods that are pretty PRIVATE, if you have the means to own a piece of it. But until then, sorry LADY.. Just back the F*** OFF!
                “As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler.” - Izaak Walton

Comment

Originally posted by mikelreidd View Post
                  Thanks for the tip. I just forwarded the photos to the Anne Arundel County Police.
                  Please let us know if anything comes of this.
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I have not heard back from AA County Police, but in my email with the pictures I told them I did not expect a quick response due to this being Halloween night. I ran into a situation similar to this years ago where a select group of homeowners tried to intimidate the public from water access to a public ramp. Fortunately, the law is on our side and it should be a slam dunk. Ironically, kayakers tend to be the most respectful and least objectionable group you could run into. However, I am retired and have nothing but time on my hands and an eagerness to find a good cause.

Game on.
                    Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Glad to hear it!! Time and eagerness is what is needed.

I am curious. Did you try to come in from the other direction? Was there a car blocking that as well or was the one car right in front of the access gate?
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

No, I did not drive down around the other street because as I walked down to the cartop parking area on Park property, I could see that they had orange cones blocking that access as well. I don't remember seeing a vehicle blocking that road, but at that point I had fire coming out my eyes and steam out of my ears, so I was more concerned with getting pictures of the upper blockade. But they did have cones.
                        Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Got it. I am going to go over there after lunch a fish for a few hours. WE'll see if they are still playing games
                          Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Go for it. I think I just found my new favorite launch site as well. I wonder if this was an attempt to discourage as many yakkers as possible with it being a "weekend" blockade? I think some SL members have used the launch during the week with minimal, or no, intimidation. Let's hope they keep it civil.
                            Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Good work on those pics! I've heard of this kind of stuff going on, but it always seems weird why people would care to block a park.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                              Kokatat Pro Staff
                              Torqeedo Pro Staff
                              Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X