Spriggs Farm launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spriggs Farm launch

I launched at Spriggs Farm yesterday and had a great few hours of fishing up until dusk, with some good-sized, strong fish. Most fish were caught in deeper pockets and channels.

Regarding the temporary orange fence, I had not yet read Lisa's last post, and it appeared to me the fence was meant to direct cars down to the lower area along a certain route, because they left what appeared to be an intentional opening on the near side larger than a car/truck. And I had also recalled the earlier statements that we were allowed to drive down. However, I received quite the treatment from one of the neighbors about driving down to load/unload, so I suggest we not drive down until the County is able to build the new fence and add the proper signage. Tensions seem to be running very high in the neighborhood, and based on Lisa's email, it seems the fence was indeed meant to direct us to park up top, at least for now. It's still a reasonable tow.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
    I launched at Spriggs Farm yesterday and had a great few hours of fishing up until dusk, with some good-sized, strong fish. Most fish were caught in deeper pockets and channels.

Regarding the temporary orange fence, I had not yet read Lisa's last post, and it appeared to me the fence was meant to direct cars down to the lower area along a certain route, because they left what appeared to be an intentional opening on the near side larger than a car/truck. And I had also recalled the earlier statements that we were allowed to drive down. However, I received quite the treatment from one of the neighbors about driving down to load/unload, so I suggest we not drive down until the County is able to build the new fence and add the proper signage. Tensions seem to be running very high in the neighborhood, and based on Lisa's email, it seems the fence was indeed meant to direct us to park up top, at least for now. It's still a reasonable tow.
    I think you misunderstood seems pretty clear from the post on the Spriggs Farm thread that the temporary fence is the limit to where you can drive down to to unload. The rule before the fence was up was to stay back 50' from the split rail fence at the edge of the bluff. Going through the fence was against the rules and it has probably antagonized the local resident and gave her a little ammo to use against the opening but with the signage and the fence being put there the rules should be totally clear shortly. Do not pass the fence it is against the rules and going to definitely escalate the hard feelings. You can not park at the bottom after unloading you have to go back up to the parking area.

Comment

AND I got word yesterday afternoon that things changed again . . . for the better.

Rec & Parks realized the hardship caused by the new orange fence and took down part of that fence. Please go past that fence park temporarily *20 yards* back from the waterfront split rail fence, drop off your yak and gear and then move your car to the meadow parking area marked off by another split rail fence.

If you are harassed by the neighbor in Spriggs Park, please email a brief time, date and what happened report to Chris Carroll email = rpcarr99@aacounty.org He's with Rec & Parks and is keeping track of this situation.

Thanks

Lisa

Comment

Excellent!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

There are three dozen sea kayakers launching out of Spriggs mid-morning on Sunday.

Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
            AND I got word yesterday afternoon that things changed again . . . for the better.

Rec & Parks realized the hardship caused by the new orange fence and took down part of that fence. Please go past that fence park temporarily *20 yards* back from the waterfront split rail fence, drop off your yak and gear and then move your car to the meadow parking area marked off by another split rail fence.

If you are harassed by the neighbor in Spriggs Park, please email a brief time, date and what happened report to Chris Carroll email = rpcarr99@aacounty.org He's with Rec & Parks and is keeping track of this situation.

Thanks

Lisa
            Thanks, Lisa. I am very relieved, as I was feeling maybe I had done something wrong unloading down below and parking up top. I guess the break in the orange fence I found was from the county, and was indeed meant to suggest I could drive down. I do agree with a previous post that we should use good judgement and if it's muddy from rain or snow, we should only go as far as the middle lot so the hill stays in good shape. Thanks again so much for your efforts, Lisa.
            Michael
            Washington, DC
            Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks Lisa for the Update and the email for the Parks and Rec official. Hopefully everyone notes it and uses it. On the main forum, there was another incident with Spriggs today. I asked the user to email the "County Official" all the info and the pics. Hopefully this will stop soon, but we have to document like crazy to stop these situations from occurring.
              Yak67
              2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa View Post

Thanks

Lisa
                Great news! But I'm a little confused as to the description or maybe I just read the pictures wrong. Appeared to me that the orange fence was closer than 20 yds. to the waterfront split rail fence and was going to be the farthest point to drive to. Am I mistaken?

Glad either way that Rhino is relieved and may well have done nothing wrong. Hope they get the signs up quickly, we don't need any confusion as to the rules that can be used to limit access to the park.

Comment

Sounds like you may well have done nothing wrong and I hope I did't come across as to harsh in my initial response. Have to admit I was a little irritated thinking that the locals my have found an infraction from one of our members as I'm quite sure we will all be beaten over the head with it.

I'm confused now as you can see in my reply to Lisa and have no right to be critical of others. I had a very similar thing happen on my first trip to Beverly Triton, was in the wrong and didn't know it and had to take a bunch of grief politely from a very rude park guy.

We all have to be extra cautious, know the rules(which can be hard to determine) and if in doubt err on the side of caution. At the same time don't let someone limit your legal access to the park. If that is the case they are violating the law and are totally in the wrong.

Comment

I'd just like to say that my initial response to Rhino was way out of line, rude and unacceptable. I jumped to a hasty conclusion about what had transpired and for my own selfish reasons, of very much liking the launch and fearing it may get shut down, came at him in a very accusatory and harsh manner. Had absolutely no right to do so even if he had made a mistake. It should have been clear as day to me that someone coming into the forum to confess to a possible mistake that could affect others is someone that needs no criticism from me.

When my hasty conclusions were proved wrong, I came back with a kind of lame semi apology with some other stuff thrown in. A simple apology and sorry I was wrong and rude would be way more appropriate. Here it is.

Truly sorry Rhino, I can be a real idiot and just plain wrong.

Lest anybody think I'm such a great guy and had clearly seen the error of may ways. Rhino sent me a very polite and honest PM with his feelings about the exchange. Let's just say I was very impressed by such an adult, reasoned and gentlemanly response and felt pretty bad about the whole episode. Nice learning moment for me as to how I can be very stupid and rude sometimes and hope it doesn't keep me out of the company of Rhino and all the other great people I meet here on Snaggedline.
                    Last edited by DonV; 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I just want to say that I respect and appreciate DonV's taking responsibility and owning an unfortunate interaction. We all make mistakes, myself especially. Taking responsibility for said mistakes represents a mature and healthy outlook that advances the dialog so that we can all learn and keep this forum serving as the incredible resource it is to us all.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

No worries, DonV! The Spriggs opening has been very eventful and confusing at times, so I can see how either one of us might have been confused. I appreciate your apology, but please no need to worry about it further. I know your perspective came from the same values that we all share -- protecting the environment, respecting the communities that neighbor the launches, and making sure we and future generations can all benefit from the amazing resource of the Chesapeake Bay. I think we should all continue to hold each other accountable in a respectful way with those values in mind. It was interesting how the neighbor who confronted me in a mean-spirited way referred to "you and your friends," basically referring to kayak fishermen/women and perhaps Snaggedliners as a group. I think this suggests that as a community of people involved in the sport, we should recognize that others may begin to form judgments about us as a group and about what we stand for. So part of your point was well taken -- that we need to represent the kayak fishing community well, and that we even have a responsibility to do so. I buy into that completely, and you can count on me for that. Thanks again.
                        Michael
                        Washington, DC
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Here's the Spriggs & Beachwood article in today/Thursday's Capital:

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/g...104-story.html

Rema included the freelance lock in her story.

Good job, all.

Lisa

Comment

We are launching there tomorrow morning. Hopefully without incident.

Thanks to all who made their voice heard
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

It looks like Spriggs Farm is part of the learning curve for Lisa and people who are doing the great work. So getting all the signs and rules and "ducks in a row" with these types of launches will be better coordinated in the future.

I am a bit of an old fart... so seeing farm lands turned into golf courses.. and farmers selling off their property for real estate, to make money in an economy or, as the old farms become inheritance... the need to monetize.

I see vineyards right next to new real estate projects in Virginia... and the continued encroachment of urban development. And thusly what we see with the opening up of water launches right next to real estate projects in park land... long owned by the county.

But on the other hand... certainly these landowners in these communities bought with the expectation that it would be "private." And regard their exclusion.

And now... with the encroachment of outsiders.. they are up in "arms."

This is a situation that Lisa and the group... are working on... but I don't speak for them..

I used to be a big time surfer.. and when people started "invading" Hawaii... as it became a hot spot... there were many battles. Although that's not a good example, because Hawaii'ian localism is still deep these days.
                              But at least these days... the visiting Pro surfers don't have to hide and sleep with baseball bats underneath their beds at night.

I can tell you stories how the locals have taken me in from San Diego to Puerto Rico surfing.. and now these days on the Chesapeake.

In the old Surfer magazines... there was an infamous, fictitious, surf guru... known as Wilbur Kookmeyer.. he even has his own website these day...
                              He would speak wisdom and knowledge.

So surfers would ask wisdom from Wilbur Kookmeyer in letters to the magazines... and he would respond.
                              One letter asked...
                              "Dear Wilbur..... when I go surfing.. there are so many people in the water these days.... what shall I do ?"

and Wilbur responds...
                              "Well Cornflake... if you wanted to be alone in the water... you should have stayed in bed"

The people in AA county that bought property near parks, and farm land.. and the county has owned and now reclaiming... well... you can guess what Wilbur Kookmeyer might say about that.

When I surfed Puerto Rico back in the 70's people were already complaining about the development... a very wise old local surfer, even back then.. he used to climb up into the coconut trees along the beach and prune the dead palm leaves, so the trees would prosper.. he would just say..."well it's progress... you can't avoid it."

Apparently we are in a learning curve for AA County.... some have been positive... some have been difficult.

If at the very least... the horrible encroachment by us heathens into the "Not In My Back Yard" groups... brings awareness and respect to how wonderful and beautiful Chesapeake Bay is and it's importance.

And most importantly opening up these boating launches... provides the awareness of value for the preservation Chesapeake Bay.
                              Last edited by rob-kayak; 11-05-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X