Kayak Trailer Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Trailer Build

My father in-law lent me his old Jon boat trailer with canoe racks.
    Pulled it out of the woods, where it's been since '99, and cleaned it up.
    Knocked the rust off the racks and replaced bolts and screws. Ditched the old skids for the Jon boat. Got new harbor freight trailer tire and wheels for cheap. Lubed the hubs.
    Did some research on what people were using for the pro angler, which I'm hopefully pulling the trigger on this weekend..
    Went to Loews and picked up some channel gauge, schedule 40 conduit and plenty of bolts and washers.
    Build went great and I'm really happy with the finished product.
    Really like the channel gauge, locked the conduit down tight and no movement.
    Bracing the channel gauge was interesting as I couldn't find U bolts long enough and didn't want to run to west marine for $20 U bolts. Just cut some 12 inch strut and bolted it thru the channel.
    Only thing I changed from what I found online was I went with the 2" PVC and not the 3" I have seen people use online. I'm hoping for a little input on whether you who have done something similar think? I see the 2" has some flex and I liked that it would cradle the yak more than the 3"( almost no flex )
    Hoping it is strong enough.

Thanks again guys and I'll see you out there this weekend.

Rich
    Attached Files

Looks good to me, will be waiting for more pictures once you get the kayak loaded on there.

I would suggest removing or lowing the rear roller in the center, unless you don't think the hull will hit it? From the angle of the picture it looks higher than the PVC rails, maybe it's just the picture....?
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Thanks. Yea I'm bringing tools for pick up day, just in case that roller hits. Think it might be a good idea to offset the weight with the roller. Will fine tune the pipes on center once I get my hands on the yak. The channel guide is nice because it's a fast easy adjustment.

Comment

Working...
      X