No announcement yet.

Nov 14th, Meet and Great at Beverly Triton Beach Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to pass as well.. be safe out there..

Comment

Hi guys, Matt Nagy here, I'm an avid kayak fisherman, I mostly fish the potomac river for smallmouth but as of this year I have been branching out into the bay to hunt for stripers with my new hobie outback!!
      I'm brand new to the forum, and I 'd like to try to make it for the meet and greet tomorrow for lunch
      I would have loved to go fishing tin the am despite the wind - and great recon work MOC, I would totally come out in the am, and I think that the spot should be protected, but I didn't know about it until too late so I won't be ready in the morning!

so I'm also just checking to see if anyone will be going out this sunday?

thanks!
      matt

Comment

too bad about the wind, If it was a bit lower I would definitely be there, you all be safe out there.
        I guess I will wait to go out on Sunday when it dies down some. see you guys soon
        Native watercraft Mariner 12.5
        Lowrance HDI 5
        Abu Garcia rods n reels

Comment

Moc appreciate your efforts but I will have to scratch from the list .I am just getting home since I was on call tonight .No gear ready and questionable wind .Wish I was closer for lunch.
          Stay safe and have some fun waiting for a report.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
          Rich, Valley Mill Boats Kayak Fishing Team ,
          Jackson Kayaks, BigTuna, Big Rig , Coosa

Comment

Still in, I will launch from Carrs Wharf and work out towards the bay. Can we agree to channel 69? 68 seems busy on weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Okay we will go with channel 69

Comment

Moc,

As much as it pains me, I'm bowing out.

I just finished checking the National Weather Service forecast as well as some of the local reporting stations on Weather Underground for some on-site, real-time data and unfortunately they are all saying the same thing - the winds are howling and are only going to get worse once the sun comes up.

Having just fished the area on Wednesday, here is my $.02:
                We found the bait, and therefore the stripers, hanging out in 11-12ft of water. Yes, if you stay tucked in close to the shore you will be protected from the wind, but in order to find that depth, were pretty exposed to the wind (especially a NW wind). On Wednesday, the forecasted winds were set to top out at 12mph. At that wind strength, and at the 11-12ft depth, we were in sloppy, choppy, cold and wet conditions.

This morning, the local station in Mayo, MD, was already reporting a steady (not gust) 13mph wind. It's forecasted to hit 19mph before noontime. The NWS has issued a Small Craft Advisory and they are forecasting 3ft waves.

If you decide to go out this morning, be careful and stay safe. Surface water temp on Wednesday was 57deg. Mother Nature is a Bxxxx sometimes.

Tight Lines,
                -manny
                image.jpg
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Sorry guys I'm bailing too.
                  Attached Files
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I'm at Carrs Warf and the water looks fine. A nice gentle breeze and light rolling waves.
                    Mike
                    2012 Hobie Outback - Olive
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13 - Sand

Comment

I met some Kayakers at Carrs Wharf and there are about 10 launching at Beverly Triton. Water is calm on both fronts. Will post pictures later.

Comment

For those of you coming to the lunch the time is changed from 1 p.m. to 12 p.m. many fish were caught up to 23 inches early in the morning

Comment

That's great news, Moc!

Glad to hear folks were able to get on some fish.

-manny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          -manny

Hobie Outback
                          Wilderness Systems 130T
                          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

It was a great morning fishing and getting chance to put a face to a name. I must admit, I spent a while over coffee this morning considering whether or not I should bail. I decided to make a waterside decision and I am really glad I did.

When we arrived the winds were present but not too strong. 10 of us set off on a falling tide in search of fish and quickly found them in 13-16 feet of water. Working birds were present in the distance actively diving. At first, they were farther than I cared to paddle down wind, but they move closer. The school of fish under them was producing quality fish.

I first noticed the effects of the wind as I was going out and realized my speed was well over 3mph with little effort. I slowed my stroke to almost nothing and achieved perfect trolling speed. As soon as I made the depth, I hooked my first fish - 18" which was quickly followed by another of 16". Each time I paused to fight a fish, I noticed the wind was pushing me further off shore. I didn't mind too much because the bite was on. I landed 5 fish (1x16", 2x18", 1x20" and 1x21") in the first 45 minutes before things slowed down.

At that point I was significantly farther than I had originally planned to fish and started to troll towards shore. That was when I began to fully appreciate the strength of the breeze. Headway was slow and the bite was gone, so I decided to head straight in.

By that time there were whitecaps everywhere and I had to bust my butt to make any headway. The whole time I was hoping a fish wouldn't hit my rig because I was afraid of needing to regain what I had just worked so hard for. Luckily, that didn't happen

An hour later, I finally made the launch. and my arms felt like I had gotten my workout for the day.

It was a pleasure getting to know everyone up on the beach and over lunch. Despite getting my ass kicked by the wind, I am definitely glad I went. Count me in of for the next M&G in Dec!

DSCN3090.jpgDSCN3091.jpgDSCN3093.jpgDSCN3094.jpgDSCN3095.jpg
                            Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                            Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I posted the report and pictures of the day in the Maryland Boatyard Section. Feel free to post your reports or pictures of the Meet and Greet there.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...227#post122227

Comment

Thanks MOC for putting this on. I got my biggest striper of the year at 23".

By chance did anybody see if I left my simms neoprene wading socks at the launch? They're the brown and black and smell pretty bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                                PigPen - Mt Airy
                                Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
                                X