Nov 14th, Meet and Great at Beverly Triton Beach Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YakCapn View Post
    Carrs Wharf ramp is on the Rhode River. I sometimes launch from there and make it over to Beverly Triton. Only room for about 8 or 10 cars I would guess though. You'd get some protection from the wind on the Rhode River and those that wanted to be adventurous could make it out to BT. I wouldn't do it with 20-30mph winds myself. I don't think I'll be able to make it this weekend, but wanted to throw this out there as an alternative.
    I'm hoping to give carrs a try tomorrow and see how the waves build as I head out to sea. No matter what the predictions say I swear the winds and ridiculous waves that come with it feel like they come from the east at BT. The Rhode or south river should be well protected.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

I would like to join the group for lunch.

Good luck to all those fishing.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hello,

I would like to join the group for fishing - probably cannot stay for lunch due to a family event though. I am new to Snaggedline, so I look forward to meeting you guys in person. I did ocean kayak fishing at the West Coast earlier.
        -Adam

Comment

Welcome all. I have been inundated at work with office moves but I will post an update later tonight on the meet and greet.

Comment

I fishe the mouth of the Rhode rtiver andf I think the other river is the west. The winds seemed to be more south than predicted but still gusty. Fishing up to the crab traps off BT the waves were about a foot. The bite pict up around lunch. Caught about a dozen stripers all too small to keep but very healthy looking. Did get some perch from deep structure as well.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Thanks for doing some recon work PigPen. The other river is the West River and the Rhode River. Both are just south around the corner from the Beverly Triton Launch. I have included a Google map of where the Rhode River is in relation to Beverly Triton. The map also shows where the Carrs Wharf Launch is, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, parking is extremely limited there.

Here is the address for the Green Turtle in Edgewater (410-956-1144), where we will have the Meet and Greet Lunch at 1:00pm - 3213 Solomons Island Road, Edgewater, MD 21037 . It is at the intersection of Rt2 (Solomons Island Road) and Rt214 (West Central Ave) in a shopping center just 5 minutes from the Beverly Triton Launch. There is plenty of parking. I called and spoke to a very nice manager named Jamie. She will put a reservation in for us, since it is a potentially large group of 18 to 25 kayakers. She got tables and a spot for us. The reservations will be under Snaggedline. So if you are going to lunch or not, then please let me know your status so we can have an accurate count of who is going to lunch. I want to make sure that they have enough seats for us.

The estimated tides for the area is as follows: High Tide at 5:59am, Low Tide at 11:36am, 2nd High Tide at 6:32pm. No rain is predicted. Currently the winds are going to be WNW at 17mph according to Weather.com .

There maybe two bucket of lures given out depending on how many folks show up at lunch and participate in the bucket of lures. Any fish (perch, rockfish, catfish, etc) qualifies for the donation from Bass Pro Shop for 1st-4th place as mentioned before. If NO fish are caught and measured, then I will just raffle off prizes that are not awarded.
              Attached Files

Comment

Fellas,
                Here is a further recon report for the area.
                I put in yesterday, 11 Nov, at Galesville , MD wharf (only about eight parking spots) but a protected location on the West River and a much easier drive for us Virginia anglers.
                Made it out to where the West and the Rhode rivers meet the Bay.
                Caught 13 fish in total, landed 12, kept two (20" & 20.5").
                The winds were troublesome. At launch time the winds were predicted to top out at 12mph from the NW, I think they easily met or exceeded that estimate. Waves were a solid 1.5ft and were constantly washing over the bow/side. If you stopped pedaling, to unhook a fish for example, you drifted a good distance. I highly recommend bringing your Buff neck protector and neoprene gloves - the winds made things a bit chilly even though air temp was in the 50's.
                On a positive note, we had birds around us all the time, marked tons of bait and although most of the fish caught were 19", the area is definitely "fishy".
                Count me in for the meet and greet, but I won't be able to do lunch.
                Thanks for putting this together.

-manny
                Hobie 13' Revolution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

you guys can count me out for this weekend. my parts came in for the H-rail mod and im going to work on that this weekend and then put the yak to bed for the winter. good luck to all of you. I will still enjoy all of your fishing reports !
                  Rich
                  Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

........... Just got a Grandaughter invitation ....... Dropping out

Comment

Looks like they are predicting strong winds tomorrow morning. Not sure if this will be canceled or not many people will show up. I wanted to come to lunch and meet everyone. Since I need to get a babysitter and rearrange my schedule to meet for lunch tomorrow, and this might be canceled or turn out low. I think I will just try to make another "meet and greet", maybe next month where I actually have my Yak and can fish with you all :-)

I will be breaking open my piggy bank (large plastic water container) this weekend and looking in the seat cushions of my couch and car for any spare change ... need to scrounge up enough $$$$ for a Lowrance FF/GPS ... wish me luck! :-)

For those going out tomorrow ... tight lines and be safe ... TGIF!

David

Comment

Martin -

I would like to join the group for lunch tomorrow. I am not fishing during the morning. I assume the lunch is still at 1:00 pm.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis
                        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For those hitting the water tomorrow- be careful, see you at the Green Turtle later.
                          John Rentch
                          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Based on the current and predicted wind; Cowkid2 and I are out.

Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

I will put you down John. I just got home and wanted to give everyone an update to the Meet and Greet. It is ON! I decided to drive down to Beverly Triton this evening and to the back up spot, Carrs Wharf to see the water fishing condition since the winds will be similar to today from the West and North West tomorrow. The good news is that Carrs Wharf and Beverly was very fishable with the winds. I think the land protected the area from the West winds. The water at Carrs Wharf was calm with just ripples on the water surface. At Beverly, the water was fairly calm too. You can even launch at Beverly and troll south to the mouth of the Rhodes and fish its tributaries. I decided to do this recon since PigPen fished there with success in the wind two days ago.

Lunch will be at 1pm at the Green Turtle.

I plan on meeting everyone who is fishing at the Beverly Triton Launch at 7am. I will hang around until 8pm before I launch. I will be cool in the morning so dress appropriately. I am sure if you try to fish in deep water far away from land, then you will not have its protection and you will feel the wind. The wind did not seem bad at the launch spots, but when I got home, it was blowing.

I included pictures from this evening and you can see what I mean about the water was protected from the wind. If for some reason, after meeting up at the Beverly Triton Launch, and the weatherman is totally wrong on the wind direction, then some of us can launch at the Carrs Wharf launch. About 10 cars can park there.

See everyone tomorrow at the launch , lunch, or both tomorrow. Now, I gotta load up my gear.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'll get out on another day when there's less wind. Be safe out there and tight lines.

Outback 2015
                                Maui

Comment

Working...
                                X