Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Tip! Yes you can use your Hawg Trough as a paddle when you are really stupid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Tip! Yes you can use your Hawg Trough as a paddle when you are really stupid.

Second trip to Spriggs Farm and hooked up with a keeper after a few minutes of paddling. Getting him unhooked and on the stringer I found my paddle in the way of where I usually attach my stringer proceeded to toss it overboard beside the kayak. After the fish is on the the stinger and I'm all proud of myself and stuff, I look down to grab my paddle leash and pull it back in. Hmmm! shouldn't there be a leash there attached to that carbiner. Little heart racing at that point. Okay don't panic I say to myself as I'm panicking frantically looking around to see if I can see my kind of dark colored paddle. I did spot it 30-40 feet away and sure hope no one was watching as I grabbed my Hawg Trough and thinking my mantra of don't panic over and over again and a very kind of panicky way proceeded to paddle to it while thinking between my panicky don't panics this Hawg trough is gonna break if you keep panicking.

I'm going back to that Cowpokey thread about stiffening up your Hawg Trough and am going to do it this winter.

hey you got a keeper and made it home safe. sounds like a good day. i just ordered a hawg trough, and after reading this, i will for sure be strengthening mine as well. thanks for the report.
    Rich
    Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Originally posted by fishinggod View Post
      hey you got a keeper and made it home safe. sounds like a good day. i just ordered a hawg trough, and after reading this, i will for sure be strengthening mine as well. thanks for the report.
      It was kind of funny, wasn't so much when it happened and sure got my heart beating. Did really did get me thinking. It's the real stupid stuff that can get you in big trouble or killed. And being out alone is way different than having some assured available help close by.

Right after that episode I headed across the river to try a spot that was hot the previous day. As soon as I got there the wind just laid down and came on pretty stiff, being against the tide it got ugly in seconds. I decided to head back towards the landing as there is a good bit of boat traffic, heavy chop and water coming over the kayak side and bow. Couldn't help thinking that if it or something similar had happened at that point I'd have been in big trouble. I had a hard time keeping the kayak good to the wind and chop even with with a paddle. Something to think about for sure. Hopefully I'll be a little more attentive and cautious.

I have an emergency paddle inside the kayak but have no idea as to how I would get to it as I just let it bounce around in there and sometimes it ends up wedged way in the back or center of the kayak. May have to see if I can rig it up someway, where I can be assured of where it is, with a chance of grabbing it. Possibly some velcro and/or leash I can grab. I can get to the hatch but it's awkward and I would need it in easy reach or could end up in even a worse situation. I don't like having that big hole open in the kayak as I'm scooting up there and getting in awkward positions.

Comment

Get one of those collapseable paddles and slip it under a bungee up front or in the back (depending on your yak). That is what I used to do before I added a trolling motor.

You can also lay down on some of the slimmer yaks and paddle like on a surf board. Don't ask how I know.

I envy you younger guys going out in Nov and Dec. I miss it but I know I can't deal with it due to age and ailments.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Fast thinking and a good outcome.That made us all look at our back-up plans / gear

Yak67
          2015 Hobie PA-14

Comment

empty out a tackle box.. they work great to... lol had to do that one time my motor died on an old 10 ft boat with a friend on board.. paddled about 400 yards...
            Zach Moore
            Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
            Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
            Bait Towel Pro Staff
            2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

anchor works great too. had to use that on a 21 ft boat when it lost oil pressure. throw it out, pull yourself to it and repeat. over and over lol. not fun but works

Comment

Quick thinking there Don. Things happen to all of us at some point. It's all the excitement. Where was you partner?

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                  Quick thinking there Don. Things happen to all of us at some point. It's all the excitement. Where was you partner?
                  She is coming off a pretty nasty cold. Maybe I have to make sure Michelle is there at all times. She always finds my keys or phone around here when I lose them, a paddle in the Magothy can't be that much harder.
                  Last edited by DonV; 10-27-2015, 08:15 PM.

Comment

stiffening your hawg trough.....doesn't that require a prescription?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                    X