Thomas Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Point

I have had the week off and fished for three days so far. I have been in the double digits on rockfish on each of the three days. Wednesday was my best day. I had 8 double take downs, with a total of 28 fish for the day, largest fish 26". Most were keeper size fish. There were a few 17"-19" fish. I have some video, but am posting this one photo so far. The first two days were windy and beat me up a bit. Very rough and tough to control the kayak with a fish on the line. All fish were taken trolling.

rockfish double.jpg

Nice job man! I think all us kayakers are making all the boaters jealous lately. Fishing has been spectacular the last month. Even better than I remember from previous years. The fish have fattened up it seems.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

It is amazing how the quiet means of a kayak makes a big difference. The fish are very fat, and the cooler water has made them really fight all the way to the kayak. Great fun!

Comment

Sounds like one hell of a vacation!! Nice job.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice work Don. That is fun way to spend your vacation.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

[emoji106]🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Dogfish,
              I have a big question, more of a request/ plea, I am interested in upgrading my ocean kayak scrambler. I have been interested in the pro angler for some time but have not had the chance to give it a ride. Is there anyway that I could meet up and check it out and possibly give it an in water test run? I know this is a lot to ask of a perfect stranger but the shops around here charge a nice fee to trial.
              I appreciate the help and I can bring you a sixer of your preferred beer.
              Rich

Comment

Congrats on the good days !
                Some places can be dicey at TP with wind tides and current.... but Wednesday was certainly a great day on the water.
                I wasn't at TP that day... but I can imagine how it got when the winds kicked up.
                Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbev67 View Post
                  Dogfish,
                  I have a big question, more of a request/ plea, I am interested in upgrading my ocean kayak scrambler. I have been interested in the pro angler for some time but have not had the chance to give it a ride. Is there anyway that I could meet up and check it out and possibly give it an in water test run? I know this is a lot to ask of a perfect stranger but the shops around here charge a nice fee to trial.
                  I appreciate the help and I can bring you a sixer of your preferred beer.
                  Rich
                  I is not so much to ask, but difficult when the fishing is so good. I spend almost every chance I get fishing this time of year. However, Backyard Boats will let you demo a ProAngler, at their Severn Ave. location. Also, the Hobie dealer in Easton, Easton Kayak, has demos. No need to pay to demo a kayak you want to buy. You will notice quite a difference between the Scrabler and a ProAngler. I went from a Big Game Prowler, which I loved, to the ProAngler, and its a different world altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-kayak View Post
                    Congrats on the good days !
                    Some places can be dicey at TP with wind tides and current.... but Wednesday was certainly a great day on the water.
                    I wasn't at TP that day... but I can imagine how it got when the winds kicked up.
                    Cheers !
                    Thanks. Thomas Point can be tricky on anything but a good day. Most any wind out of the South, beyond "light and variable" makes it rough.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Nice work Don. That is fun way to spend your vacation.
                      John, how has the fishing been in the Severn.

Comment

It was another good day 10/23. I found breaking fish, 5 minutes from the ramp. I had my limit of 2, 22" fish within 20 to 30 minutes of starting to fish. I caught like 15 fish in that location until things slowed down. I then went out to some of the other locations where I have been catching fish. I ended the day with 23 fish, with 22" inch fish the largest of the day. The boats have discovered one of my favorite locations. Of course that was not that difficult with all the birds working today.

cooler fish.jpglures.jpg

Comment

Don -

The striper bite was outstanding in one Severn tributary from at least Sept 26 (when I discovered it) and lasting another 2 weeks. Loads of bait was present in there a week before the nor'easter, which trapped the bait there for a while longer. I fished the same location 9 days in row, catching stripers that averaged 18". I managed a 24" and 26" fish during that stretch. I trolled two lines from my Manta Ray 11 paddle kayak and had a ball. The bait and the stripers left the shallows two weeks ago. I have not found them again in the Severn.

I had the opportunity to fish in the outer few miles of another western shore river this week and found lots of stripers of similar size to the Severn ones. They were no longer in the shallows or tributaries, but were on the channel edges and dropoffs in the main river. Each river mouth has different depth ranges and contours, so I am not sure if the fishes' presence in one river automatically means they will be in another river in the same spots. I hope to check out the mouth of the Severn some time soon.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have this vision that the fall stripers traverse the Bay like birds in the air on their fall migration flights. They move in huge flocks (schools) into or out of the tributaries looking for food as they fatten up for the winter before moving on to wherever they spend the colder months. It would be fascinating to look down on the Bay in total and to be able to see them through the water from above. It would also take the mystery out of fishing if we knew precisely where they were!

Together with John and others in the Old Guys group I also had success this past week in a western shore tributary catching my largest stripers of the year since the springtime. I saw no breaking fish and caught no dinks, just nice fat healthy fish, the largest being 24 inches. They were all in 13 to 14 feet of water which is deeper than I usually fish. My FF showed many arches hovering near the bottom. I managed to get ½ oz. bucktails into their range by extending more line than normal as I trolled. After catching shorts all summer, it was certainly a fun experience to tangle with mature legal fish.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                            X