Opinions on the dragonfly 4 pro or helix 5 di/gps fishfinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the dragonfly 4 pro or helix 5 di/gps fishfinders

So I have narrowed down my choice of fishfinders for my new ATAK to either the Raymarine Dragonfly 4pro with C-map or the Humminbird Helix 5 DI/gps. I wanted to stay in the low to mid $200 price range and I can get either one for around $250. I played around at west marine with both form factors but neither had the maps loaded on display so I couldn't see what those were like.

Dragonfly
    Pros: has a better look to it I think, only one cable, comes with a swivel mount, draws less power, the simulation looked a little nicer as far as picture quality, I think the maps are by jeppesem and are a little higher quality then the helix base map, has wifi to stream to my phone to or iPad.
    Cons: most expensive of the two, screen seemed small even though it's only an inch difference seemed like more compared to helix, huge transducer

Helix
    Pros: Bigger screen, mount felt more sturdy, smaller transducer, wide screen ratio seemed better for side by side viewing
    Cons: draws more power, base maps are pretty basic, two plugs

Just looking for anyone that's had or used one what their thoughts are.

I can give you a few thoughts on the dragonfly, i have the 5 pro. The screen resolution is great and the only time I have an issue with seeing it is when the sun is pretty much right behind me and glaring on the screen. The swivel mount is great though because it allows you to adjust it with ease. I like to set it so I can see it while standing or sitting, but it is easy to adjust as needed. Having the one plug is nice because you can just pop it on and off quickly.

The difference between a 4 inch and 5 inch screen can be enough of a difference to make you think twice about it. I had a basic 4 inch screen before and love having the 5 inch screen. As for the transducer, it is long, but there are no problems with it being in the ATAK. I have my set up on my pod and drop it in and out without any issues. I don't use the wifi features at all currently, just haven't found a need at this point. I don't know enough about the c-maps, mine came with the navionics chip, which is great. I love having the extra information and contours. Hopefully someone can help you out with some information on the Helix
    WS ATAK

Comment

Thanks volboy23,

I would love to get the 5PRO with Navionics but its not in the budget. I was trying to stay under $300 total for ff/gps, batt, wiring and hardware.

Comment

I think I'm going to go with the helix 5 di/gps. the price I found it for online is half what the dragonfly 5 goes for so I figure I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Hope it works out well for you Tsdahc! Let us know how you like it
          WS ATAK

Comment

Received the helix 5 di/gps in the mail last week. I ended up with the helix mainly due to a killer deal that I couldn't pass up. Ordered it on Jet for $220 shipped to my door. so far only took it out of the box and checked to make sure everything is there. Hoping to get it installed over thanksgiving break from work since my next two weekends are spoken for. I'll try and grab photos as I install it.

Comment

I know a few guys with the raymarines.. when you are on a known lake.. they are amazing products. Crisp image..

But when you in a pond or small body of water.. If the GPS doesnt pick up on it.. it beeps constantly.. and u cant turn it down or off.. You have to keep the entire system off. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I was looking at the 7 inch one if i decide to sell my pro angler and get an Atak.. Just not sure if i want to paddle.. haha
              Zach Moore
              Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
              Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Zach is right on the beeping when it loses GPS signal, that is the only thing i don't like about it. Fished an area last weekend that had some trees and it kept losing signal and I just cut it off. In open areas it works fine.
                WS ATAK

Comment

I was wondering how you mounted the transducer. Could you take a few pictures

Comment

I just picked up a Dragonfly 7 pro with the Nav + chip for 400

was a pretty impressive deal and hard to pass out
                    Zach Moore
                    Bait Towel Pro Staff
                    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Me too. Having the Navionics chip included was the clincher. Look at the Scotty 141 transducer mount. It's slick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The 141 has the mount and a built rail mount. Pair it with their universal mount and the job is done [emoji818]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the scotty mount in my side scan for my pro angler and it's great

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                          Zach Moore
                          Bait Towel Pro Staff
                          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Working...
                          X