Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How short do you let your leader get before replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How short do you let your leader get before replacing?

Just wondering how short it can get?

Tom Lagana
    www.tomlagana.net

The clearer the water, the longer the leader needs to be. I know it is not an exact answer, but it is a rule of thumb
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I replaced one tonight. There was only about 2 feet of leader left. I think if you use braid as your main fishing line you should have enough leader to grab it (the leader) at boat side to land a larger fish. You don't want to handle braid with the tension of a big fish thrashing on it.

I used Skidsteer's recent suggestion in another Snaggedline thread on this topic and tied on a new leader almost as long as the rod itself.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have caught plenty of fish tied straight to braid.

When I do use leaders, I have them around 2' tied straight to the lures with a barrel swivel on the other end. The barrel swivel then gets attached to the speed clip on my braid. There is never a need for re-tying leader to braid.
        Mike

Comment

i don't run leaders. i run straight 30 pound braid
          Rich
          Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Fish by fish basis! If I don't have to run a leader I don't. I like tying braid straight to my hooks. For bigger fish I like to use a leader at least as long as the length of the fish itself.
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

12". Someone mentioned a barrel swivel above, to me that defeats the purpose of the leader. I use 30lb braid with approximately 24" of 15lb floro leader attaching to two with Albright knot. Once the leader get down to a foot or so Ill tie on a new one.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Derekfish View Post
                12". Someone mentioned a barrel swivel above, to me that defeats the purpose of the leader. I use 30lb braid with approximately 24" of 15lb floro leader attaching to two with Albright knot. Once the leader get down to a foot or so Ill tie on a new one.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
                To clarify, the leader is tied straight to the lure. The small barrel swivel is at the opposite end so that I can swap lures without having to re-tie.
                Mike

Comment

Working...
                X