Storing kayak in Baltimore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing kayak in Baltimore

I'm looking to upgrade to the pro angler , but I live in downtown baltimore. I live in a rowhome and can store on the underside of my deck, but there is security issues and maneuvering such a heavy yak.
    Is there anyone else who has a better suggestion?
    I have considered the trailer option as I have a lifted wrangler and would then need even more storage.
    Storage lockers for anything this large is in excess of $100 / month.
    Thanks for the input/ suggestions.

I don't have much of a security issue where I live, but just to be safe I do keep mine locked up. My Outback is stored beneath my deck same as you, with a secure eye hook attached to the deck. After I raise it up with a pulley system, I loop a bicycle cable lock through the scupper and the eye hook, it ain't going anywhere. I keep my Outback fully rigged and it's a little hard pulling up. I'm guessing the weight is more than a fully stripped pro angler. Make sure to have all pulleys running freely and the rope not rubbing anywhere. I had an issue with the rope rubbing a floor joist on my deck, so I added a middle idler pulley and it made all the difference. The reason for the rubbing is I mounted the lifting pulleys between the floor joists to give me the maximum amount of lift, resulting in the rope rubbing the bottoms of each joist. Good luck!
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Honestly if I lived in Baltimore and I didn't have a good secure way of storing it outside, I'd store it in my house. Too many people are aware of how much fishing kayaks sell for and how easy they are to get rid of quickly.

And if you have to store it outside, I'd do what the poster above said and chain that girl up with a lock real good. Put a nice dirty filthy tarp over it and hope for the best.
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks guys, new to the forum and I appreciate the input. Do you use a kryptonite lock? Have one and I think they have a guarantee to some extent. Looks like I'm in the market for a new roof rack too.
        Anyone weigh in on trailering vs. racking the pro angler?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbev67 View Post
          Thanks guys, new to the forum and I appreciate the input. Do you use a kryptonite lock? Have one and I think they have a guarantee to some extent. Looks like I'm in the market for a new roof rack too.
          Anyone weigh in on trailering vs. racking the pro angler?
          I'm just using some 15+ year old Trek lock, but's its a long one which is needed.

If your going to top a pro angler to a lifted Jeep you better have a friend or something like this:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...st-MPG351.html
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My security concerns at home are not as high as yours would be but our neighbor had their entire patio set stolen (umbrella stand and all), so I know there has been a small group of people willing to steal large/heavy property and have always kept my yak locked up. I hang mine under my deck and cable lock it as well. The difference for me is that I run the cable around one of the 6x6 legs of the deck and then run it through the hole for the mirage drive. I ran it through the scupper of my old yak, it is much easier to use the mirage hole on a Hobie.

I also only have about 3.5-4' of space under my deck, so I don't even need a pulley system. I cart the yak straight to the deck and just have 3 hanging ropes spaced out for the length of the yak. It slides right in with ease and then I just roll it over to store it upside down. Secure the lock and I am done in 20 seconds.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              My security concerns at home are not as high as yours would be but our neighbor had their entire patio set stolen (umbrella stand and all), so I know there has been a small group of people willing to steal large/heavy property and have always kept my yak locked up. I hang mine under my deck and cable lock it as well. The difference for me is that I run the cable around one of the 6x6 legs of the deck and then run it through the hole for the mirage drive. I ran it through the scupper of my old yak, it is much easier to use the mirage hole on a Hobie.

I also only have about 3.5-4' of space under my deck, so I don't even need a pulley system. I cart the yak straight to the deck and just have 3 hanging ropes spaced out for the length of the yak. It slides right in with ease and then I just roll it over to store it upside down. Secure the lock and I am done in 20 seconds.
              My deck is on the second floor, so getting it up as high as it will go is necessary to park a car under. If he has the same deck situation as you the rope idea should work perfectly.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The PA-14 is a tank! I trailer mine and store in behind my house on the trailer, with a cable and lock thru a wheel and the Yak scupper. Plan on putting it back in the basement this winter. Car topping a PA-14 will kill your back. I have a friend who does great with the PA-12 on top, but that is as far as I would go.
                I plan to car top my new Outback with a Rhino rack kayak assist system.

Yak67
                2015 Hobie PA-14
                Soon 2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition

Comment

A good point about winter storage. Is it okay to store outdoors in the winter? What do you recommend if this is the only option, as I intend to use for waterfowl hunting as well as fishing.
                  Is a tarp sufficient or is there a better option?

Comment

I think it's fine as long as you cover it for the winter. There was a post about "Covers" a while back. I have the PA cover for mine by Hobie and it works great and fits great. I worry more about UV rays than the cold, since everything is plastic

Yak67
                    2015 Hobie PA-14
                    Soon 2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition

Comment

Danuu makes the Hobie covers and sells them slightly cheaper without the Hobie logo. I have one for an Outback and it's a great cover.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Check out something like this. if you got out of the city a bit you can rent a fenced in area for around $40 per month.
                        https://baltimore.craigslist.org/prk/5268717520.html
                        People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

We had our bikes stolen when moving into our apartment last year. The lock is not what they cut it was the cable. If they REALLY want it they will find a way. As much as I hate to say it, it really is the truth. Luckily my girlfriend is understanding of my kayak fishing and we keep a tarpon 140 in the living room during "the season" then it gets shipped up to her parents house for the winter. Just to cold for my taste. More power to yall that go out. But back to the point you can NEVER be to safe. Tarp, multiple locks, ect ect. Also look into insurance. Some company's will let you add it to a existing policy from what I herd.....and can be like and extra couple of bucks a month.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                          Tan-Tarpon 140
                          Lime-Pelican Matrix
                          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Been looking up pulley hoists on the market and none seem to be capable of pulling up the heavy PA. Are any of you putting together a custom from Home Depot, or am I looking in the wrong place?

Comment

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...uctId=11468858

Says 100 lbs which actually means 200. They always under rate stuff for safety
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X