Looking for Lightweight Rod recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Lightweight Rod recommendation

Currently my most used rig is a Stradic 1000 reel on a 5'6" LW Tsunami 2-part rod. I use it for both kayak and wade fishing in streams. Recently I have managed to break the rod tip twice in as many months. One was carelessness and the other was an angry Smallmouth.

I have repaired the tip but the reduction in sensitivity and casting distance is pretty noticeable. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a way to buy a replacement top section so the hunt for a new rod is on.

I am looking for a rod in the 6' range and strongly prefer a 2-parter for ease of handling while hiking. I mostly fish with small plastics on jigs and smaller spinners. I would love a rod that leaves the blank exposed above the reel seat and prefer shorter handles. My budget is around $100 but can stretch a bit. I am also only really interested in rod companies that will sell me a replacement top end in the event of more breakage.

I would love any suggestions or insights anyone can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

If you are near Baltimore try going to Tochterman's. They will set you up with exactly what you need. They also have a great warranty and repair service and could probably do something with your broken
    Mike

Comment

St. Croix Premier or Triumph series rods should fit the bill. They also have travel rods (4 pcs.) if you want to downsize even more. Come with a 5 year warranty.

Comment

I have been looking at St Croix rods, specifically this one:

Premier Series: PS66LF2 $130
        6'6" 2-part Light Fast 1/16-5/16

Which seems like it should cover the weight ranges I am looking for.

I plan on buying local, but want to go in with some idea of what I want.

Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
          I have been looking at St Croix rods, specifically this one:

Premier Series: PS66LF2 $130
          6'6" 2-part Light Fast 1/16-5/16

Which seems like it should cover the weight ranges I am looking for.

I plan on buying local, but want to go in with some idea of what I want.

I have Premier rods in 6'6" med-light in both one- and two-piece versions. I use them regularly and love them. Last fall I had a chance to upgrade to the Avid series when one of my Premiers broke. I got a marvelous 6'6" light rod that is a dream to cast. I've caught up to 24" stripers on that rod as well as some big pickerel. A 6'6" Premier in light should also be a great rod for most of our local salt- and freshwater fish.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I also like St. Croix rods. They have never disappointed me in any way.

I use Premier series rods in bait casting and in fly fishing. I also have Legend series fly rods still in service after 25 years. Each of my St. Croix rods is a quality product well made with great action for its intended purpose.

I just added a 6 ft. 6 in. medium light Triumph spinning rod to my arsenal to chase pickerel this fall and winter.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I also like St. Croix rods. They have never disappointed me in any way.

I use Premier series rods in bait casting and in fly fishing. I also have Legend series fly rods still in service after 25 years. Each of my St. Croix rods is a quality product well made with great action for its intended purpose.

I just added a 6 ft. 6 in. medium light Triumph spinning rod to my arsenal to chase pickerel this fall and winter.
              I am aslo a fan of the St Croix rods. I just picked up a Mojo Bass med weight with extra fast action. It is a freshwater rod, but it has held up to keepers without a problem. I bought it for jigging, but I have had great success trolling with it as well. They revamped the line and the older version are available in their Bargain room. $89 with free shipping. I know it is a 1 piece, but I would recommend checking them out. Here is the link:

http://stcroixrods.com/shop/freshwater-rods/
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

That is quite a few endorsements for St Croix, which gives me confidence in my initial ideas. I do want a 2-parter, so I guess I just need to decide on length.

Back to my old rod, is there a use anyone can think of for it? Im not sure what, if anything, an overly still Light rod would be useful for.

Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

tie a flag to the bottom half of that rod and use it as a flag pole for your yak
                  Rich
                  Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Try Shore Tackle at Kent Narrows. They will probably be able to make you a new top section for the one you broke. And/or build/recommend a nice light weight rod that fits your style.
                    Terry Hill

<*)))><{ <*)))><{

<*)))><{

<*)))><{

Santa Cruz RAPTOR

Comment

Working...
                    X