Annapolis Capital outdoor column shows kayak fisherman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annapolis Capital outdoor column shows kayak fisherman

Last Monday four members of the OGWLF (Old Guys Who Like to Fish) group met at Ft Smallwood for some striper trolling. The weather was unbelievable, with glassy calm seas. Mark took an excellent photo of John Rentch holding up his 22" striper. John knows Chris Dollar, the outdoor writer for the Capital papers. He sent the photo to Chris. I was excited to see John's photo on page C8 of today's Capital. Here is a copy of the photo that was published. I like to see the smoke coming from the end of his rod -- he was smoking the stripers that morning!

A.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice photo and the smoke is great. Of course that spot is now burned and you can expect company.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      Nice photo and the smoke is great. Of course that spot is now burned and you can expect company.
      I understand and agree with your concern in general about spot burning. That spot has been well known for years and is a wide open place with vast areas of similar habitat, not an isolated honey hole or a unique structural feature. Plus even seeing the industrial facilities in the background does not really tell where the angler was (how far from shore, what depth, etc) -- you only know from what direction the photo was taken. Since John kept that fish for dinner, he may have caught it a mile away and just held it up for the photo when he pedaled near Mark. It is unlikely that this photo will make any impact on fishing pressure at the area.

I personally am very cautious about posting articles and photos for spots that have a limited amount of habitat and fish. But for large areas of similar habitat, the concept of spot burning does not apply.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Since John kept that fish for dinner, he may have caught it a mile away and just held it up for the photo when he pedaled near Mark.
        That is exactly what happened! I don't know where John caught the fish but it wasn't at the spot of the photo.

Ft. Smallwood provides access to a vast area of the Patapsco. We chased them over miles of water that day. We could have dropped buoys at each spot we caught one and the markers would have been useless to us because the fish were so mobile.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

People can spot burn all day long, but you still have got to be able to catch them at the spot.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice pix!

Comment

Working...
            X