Cold weather setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather setup

I was planning on doing some fishing this weekend, but with the temperature dropping rapidly here I decided to bail. This will be my first Fall/Winter fishing from the kayak and I'd like to get the right setup so I can be comfortable and safe out on the water. Wetsuits and Drysuits are easy options, but spending $500-$1000 on a drysuit seems painful. I'd be curious to see what some of you guys wear when the temps start dropping. Let the kayak fishing fashion show begin!

Kokatat dry top and dry pants. It hurts spending the money on it, but worth every penny. There are lots of areas to cut corners and save cost in this sport, but your cold water safety clothing is not one of them.

You could go the wader and dry top route, but a wading belt can be uncomfortable and taking a leak is a pain because you have to take off your jacket and pull your waders down (unless you have a relief zipper). This is also typically a time when you are at a higher risk to fall in because you are up and moving around while trying to pee.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

First winter season fishing and I will be using a kokatat paddle top and pants over NRS hydro skin. Dry suit just isn't in the budget this year...

Handwear is my biggest question mark
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Here's two videos I shot testing out a dry suit: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=2&theater

...and a semi dry top and waders: https://www.facebook.com/chesapeake....type=2&theater

If you're in really cold water, the dry suit is the safest way to go. The waders and dry top is an alternative that's not as good but better than nothing. You're day of fishing may be over if you go in with it, but if you can get back in your kayak you should be just fine. If you're wearing a dry suit, you'll have no issue at all.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

Semi dry suit. The only difference between my kokatat semi-dry suit and a dry suit is the neck gasket is neoprene instead of latex. Neoprene is a lot more comfortable for me and with the life vest on will keep neck above waterline anyway.

Comment

I currently have a full wetsuit which a plan to wear until the water temp drops, just not sure how long that will suffice. Does anyone else wear a wetsuit while fishing?

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
              Semi dry suit. The only difference between my kokatat semi-dry suit and a dry suit is the neck gasket is neoprene instead of latex. Neoprene is a lot more comfortable for me and with the life vest on will keep neck above waterline anyway.
              I bought one of these last year, and while it did keep me dry, I am going to sell it this fall. It was so uncomfortable to move around it, I never really wanted to get out there. I want to replace it with waders+dry top, I don't like going out in the wind anyway and usually stick to sheltered areas fairly close to the shore. I would get more use out of waders in general so having a pair makes sense.
              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Wore my semi dry suit yesterday and I have no problems moving around in the suit. I have seen one person order on not large enough which made it uncomfortable. But good luck with whatever you decide. Like most kayak items it is a personal choice.

Comment

My issue is that to accommodate my big fat neck, I ended up with a suit with excessively long arms and legs. Not to mention a relief zipper that ends up uselessly out of place. I thought I could make it work, but it was annoying enough to discourage me from geting out as often as I would like.

Once I figure out what waders I want I will toss the drysuit up for sale here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

How much is your life worth. If you are fishing cold water and go in, it sure can save you. Or don't fish in the cold. Choice should be obvious.

Comment

I am actually looking at options right now. I have waders and a dry top, but want to get into something better and just trying to determine what that will be. I am a big guy so I need to do some measurements and figure it out in short order. The temps are down enough now depending on where you are fishing you can get into dangerous territory already. I am trying to determine semi-dry suit or full on gore-tex suit.
                      WS ATAK

Comment

Bomber Gear is closing out their dry suit line up. See the link for the "Gauley" at $ 262.50 and the "Oneida" at $ 210.00.

http://www.bombergear.com/products/dry-gear/men

I do not own either suit but at those prices it probably worth doing some online research. Both suits have the semi-dry neoprene neck gasket and latex gaskets at the wrist.
                        Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

If you are looking into semidry and dry tops and pants check sierra trading post. They have good prices and if you sign up for their emails you can get additional discounts. They currently have a few dry tops and pants and some semi dry as well. Usually the emails will give you an additional 20-40% off the prices. I have a pair of NRS dry pants, and a NRS semi dry top (uses neoprene instead of latex), tested them out in late October water on the tidal Potomac near the bay a few years ago with a set of neoprene socks and booties. I was able to sit down in the water and stayed there for about 5 min with no leakage and was comfortable. I just wore underarmor undergarments that I use snowboarding and was perfectly comfortable. I wouldn't want to be in the water too long as it would probably starting leaking but I think it would be fine as long as you can get back to your kayak in a few minutes. I think I spent about $150 on my setup a few years ago.

Here's a link
                          http://www.sierratradingpost.com/paddling-apparel~d~83/

Comment

Originally posted by volboy23 View Post
                            I am actually looking at options right now. I have waders and a dry top, but want to get into something better and just trying to determine what that will be. I am a big guy so I need to do some measurements and figure it out in short order. The temps are down enough now depending on where you are fishing you can get into dangerous territory already. I am trying to determine semi-dry suit or full on gore-tex suit.
                            I have the full gore tex dry suit and it's awesome. You can wear it very comfortably on warm days because it's so breathable, and by layering up underneath, on the coldest of days. It comes at a price, but I don't think there's something better out there for safety and comfort. ...and the relief zipper is a must have.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                            Kokatat Pro Staff
                            Torqeedo Pro Staff
                            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                            Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan! I do like those and the relief zipper would be great to have.
                              WS ATAK

Comment

Working...
                              X