Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailer Sale Harbor Freight $259... Folding.. kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Sale Harbor Freight $259... Folding.. kit.

Obviously you get what you pay for on these things... no I haven't bought one.. but it is tempting.
    Sale ends October 31st.
    It is a kit.. don't know if you have to pay shipping ($90) or if there is some kind of ship to store deal...

It has 355 reviews... with a 4 star rating.
    Considering we aren't exactly hauling a lot of weight.. could be an option for budget minded DIY folks.

And the unit folds up.. which might be handy for you guys with garages and limited space.
    Capacity listed is 1195 lbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I own one of these. Ditto above, you get what you pay for.

Not a bad trailer for the price, but be prepared for some additional costs. For instance, perm registration in VA cost ~$140. If you extend the tongue, you'll have the cost of steel (~$50 + grade 8 hardware) and a sh!tty afternoon spent measuring and drilling steel. PVC bunks will set you back another 25 bucks, and I guarantee you'll want a swing up front wheel ($40). Spare tire is $50 at Harbor Freight.

Again, not a bad trailer, but the hidden costs with these things are significant. I've easily spent more on aftermarket parts.
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I also went the Harbor Freight route. Due to the load capabilities of the trailer and the light weight of my Hobie Outback and Slayer Propel the trailer bounced significantly. Removing the 2 shortest leafs from the springs greatly improved the trailers performance.

Comment

Originally posted by yakken121212 View Post
        I also went the Harbor Freight route. Due to the load capabilities of the trailer and the light weight of my Hobie Outback and Slayer Propel the trailer bounced significantly. Removing the 2 shortest leafs from the springs greatly improved the trailers performance.
        I also removed 2 leaves. Big difference.

Additionally, make sure the slip spring shackles CAN slip. That's crucial. I used it for several months with the shackle torqued too tight, and the suspension was horribly stiff. When I loosened it so the leaf could flex, the trailer towed as smooth as I could ask for.
        I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Question for you guys that have them. Do they fold small enough to share a parking space with your tow vehicle? Can you get away with one at Jonas or other places where trailers aren't alowed?

Comment

Over 25 years ago I bought a 4x6 folding trailer that could stand up on end and store in the back of my garage. It was not a Harbor Freight product, most of which I have found to use low quality materials and not hold up well. It was made in the USA and was sturdy. I used it mostly as a utility trailer, but occasionally used it to haul two kayaks. I did not like the way it performed in that usage. First, even though it was heavier than the equivalent Harbor Freight version, it still bounced unless it had a heavy load. Second because of the 6' bed length, my kayak hung pretty far out the back.

When I bought a minivan in 2003, I realized I had much less use for a utility trailer than I did when driving a Camry. I ended up selling the trailer. Folding trailers are convenient because they can be stored in a minimum amount of floor space. But like everything else, all vehicles are a compromise. A trailer that is designed for kayak hauling will probably give you better overall performance than one that is jury-rigged to work with kayaks.

Regarding Capt C Hawk's question about Jonas Green, I don't know. I suspect if you asked permission, it would be denied. There is some risk to using a trailer there.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post

A trailer that is designed for kayak hauling will probably give you better overall performance than one that is jury-rigged to work with kayaks.
              That's a fair statement. My HF trailer currently tows the kayak extremely well, but it has been a year-long journey to get to this point. It was hardly an off-the-shelf solution.

All said and done, I probably saved a few hundred bucks ($200-$300) going the DIY route. But I spent hours and hours building the trailer out. Unless you WANT a project (because this will be a project) it makes more sense to buy a kayak trailer.
              I need a good paddling

Garmin Echomap 93sv

Comment

Working...
              X